The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A900

douglasf13

It looks like you're already getting the hang of the A900, Terry. :thumbup:

Call me crazy, but I sometimes get the feeling that one can see the difference with these 24MP files, even when posted at web size. I've seen mention of this before, but I don't have a solid footing on whether that's possible, or it's just my eyes tricking me....or just different methods of resizing. The detail in the flowers near the cows on the un-cropped pics really looks intense. What do ya'll think?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No doubt about it Doug I can see it with MF files all day long on the web. Should be the same for the big 35mm mpx cams today. More detail and no getting around it

Terry

It looks like you're already getting the hang of the A900, Terry. :thumbup:

Call me crazy, but I sometimes get the feeling that one can see the difference with these 24MP files, even when posted at web size. I've seen mention of this before, but I don't have a solid footing on whether that's possible, or it's just my eyes tricking me....or just different methods of resizing. The detail in the flowers near the cows on the un-cropped pics really looks intense. What do ya'll think?
I know what you are saying and at the non web size I will say I was not prepared for opening up these files. It is way better and a much bigger difference from my other cameras than I thought it would be.

For my web images, it is not a different reduction methodology (unless LR treats larger files differently). I reduce the size of the files exactly the same way from all of my cameras. I export from LR and simply put a max of 900 pixels on either dimension. For posting at getdpi, I do not click the box to sharpen the output for the screen because the forum software seems to do some sharpening.

douglasf13

No doubt about it Doug I can see it with MF files all day long on the web. Should be the same for the big 35mm mpx cams today. More detail and no getting around it
Yeah, some of the web sized shots that I've seen with that new 60MP Phase back seem to have incredible detail. :bugeyes: Very cool.

I think there is a perception that 24MP isn't necessary for web size shots, or even 8x10 prints, but there is a clarity there that I really like.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Exactly and it is every size, it's when you hit a certain size like 40 x60 prints it becomes more apparent but it is in there all the way through the sizes.

Terry

Would you get out and go shoot some images and try the 24-70. LOL
I'm leaving now. :D

Was messing around getting the hand strap on the camera. I was wondering why they charge so much for it. Good reason. It is reasonably well thought out as they did design it so you could still use an RRS or similar plate (with a metal mount). However, I still want to to attach it to a plate like the M8 where you take off the piece that attaches to the tripod mount and strap it right on to the RRS plate.

BTW there is also a connection to attach a should/neck strap to the hand strap which I sometimes do.

Toodles

Dale Allyn

Terry, (when you return, don't stall your outing for this) ;),

I was wondering if the Sony strap allows the complete removal of their plate? In other words, might it be a better choice than the current Canon strap (on my Canon gear) for use with RRS plates if one does wish to add a neck/shoulder strap at times? I don't want to stack plates (the Sony + the RRS) so just looking for clarification.

I'm enjoying your journey into Sonyland.

Thanks.

Dale

I'm leaving now. :D

Was messing around getting the hand strap on the camera. I was wondering why they charge so much for it. Good reason. It is reasonably well thought out as they did design it so you could still use an RRS or similar plate (with a metal mount). However, I still want to to attach it to a plate like the M8 where you take off the piece that attaches to the tripod mount and strap it right on to the RRS plate.

BTW there is also a connection to attach a should/neck strap to the hand strap which I sometimes do.

Toodles

jonoslack

I know what you are saying and at the non web size I will say I was not prepared for opening up these files. It is way better and a much bigger difference from my other cameras than I thought it would be.
Exactly - lovely aren't they :clap::toocool::bugeyes::salute::)

Dale Allyn

Dale, you can completely remove the strap from the plate. That is how you hook it to Sony vertical grips.
Thank you, Douglas. That helps.

Andrey: thank you. I have used Camdapter plates before as well. Really Right Stuff now has the strap lug on their plates and I prefer the fit, etc. of their plates. But actually, I use the "L" plates mostly anyway. I had considered the Camdapter strap though.

Thanks gents.

H

hardloaf

Dale,
Andrey: thank you. I have used Camdapter plates before as well. Really Right Stuff now has the strap lug on their plates and I prefer the fit, etc. of their plates. But actually, I use the "L" plates mostly anyway. I had considered the Camdapter strap though.

Thanks gents.
Hm, didn't know that RRS L-plate have a strap lug. Thanks for the info!
Do you also attach a neck strap to you camera when L-plate is mounted? What I like about Camdapter is that both straps are on separate sides and neck strap just freely hangs when not needed and doesn't get in my way. Best solution for me would be completely (without any hanging parts left) and quickly detachable neck strap though - I'm trying not use them at all because my neck hates any kind of load and gives me headaches, but I need it as a shoulder strap sometimes.

Diane B

I use this arca-style QR plate for hand strap on one side and neck strap on another.
http://www.camdapter.com/product_plus_arca.html
RRS may not have one available yet for the A900 (but I bet it does), but I use an RRS L bracket that has a lug for the Canon E1 hand strap. I use a Camdaptor for my 400D and 10DIR but prefer (for a number of reasons) the RRS plate.

(Whoops--looks as though I was a bit late in posting this--or in not reading all the posts before posting mine LOL).

Diane

Terry

Hi Mark,
Yes, I will order the L - bracket. I just hate keeping it on the camera so I do like a flat plate as well. If you look at the front of the A900 that slope makes for a different angle than the other plates I have lying around.

Terry

The journey continues....
Yes, I did get myself properly fixed on spot metering. I got confused on hold vs. toggle where hold on my G1 = toggle on A900.

There is something on my sensor and since it was there all day one would have to assume it might me a bit of oil or something from the camera being new. Anyone have this on the A 900 (my M8 did at the beginning)?

The weather didn't cooperate again. I went north thinking I might head up towards Napa but once I got a few miles north of the bridge it was clearing out quite nicely so I headed to Point Reyes and the lighthouse. I was overly optimistic on the weather....

It was a three layer event and the winds were not exactly a gentle breeze....here are a few with the 24-70

The left side is important don't worry about the right

View attachment 16733

No, I didn't bother going down the 300+ steps
View attachment 16732

Bleccchhh
View attachment 16731

Terry

As I was driving away the sun started to peek through the fog so I headed back to the beach but it proved to be a very brief interlude :thumbdown:

View attachment 16735

So I headed back to the city where it was trying valliantly to clear but it was too late in the day to get it to burn off anymore. That little bright area in the middle of the bay is Alcatraz and it did have sun on it. Further left are Sausalito and Tiburon which were both in the sunshine. This is the 24-70 at 24 and I did get obvious vignetting.

View attachment 16736

On my way out of town I passed the cemetery at the Presidio. I figured I would stop on the way back. Unfortunately, I missed the gates closing by 5 minutes. As usual for Memorial Day a flag has been placed at every headstone. These were taken with the 135 through the gate so I couldn't get good angles that didn't include a lot of the street.

View attachment 16737

That shot has a bit or weirdness happening on the right hand side. The point of focus is in focus but the almost double image on the right doesn't seem like normal bokeh. Think I nudged the camera on that side?

View attachment 16744

A final shot for tonight....

View attachment 16738

Last edited: