The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A900

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Outing myself here as well:

Just made a change from my Canon 5D2 and some lenses to the Alpha900 and ZEISS lenses: 16-35, 24-70 and the only non Zeiss lens 70-200. Actually almost no costs for this change!

Hope to get this by next week, so should be available for the AZ workshop in June - Yeahhhhh :D;):)

PS: please no comments, I know what I am ..... but it is a lot of fun!

picman

Just made a change from my Canon 5D2 and some lenses to the Alpha900 and ZEISS lenses: 16-35, 24-70 and the only non Zeiss lens 70-200. Actually almost no costs for this change!

Hope to get this by next week, so should be available for the AZ workshop in June - Yeahhhhh :D;):)

Welcome to the A900club! Together with Zeiss lenses this is really a wonderful camera and I am definitely going to stay with this setup, however, the fact that I have several very good Contax Zeiss lenses makes me think of also buying a 5dII (with a happypageHK adapter) to be able to continue using them. Would you care to elaborate on why you abandoned the 5dII? Any particular problems? Thanks, cheers, Bob.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
This is a good thread..learned a lot. Terry I'm interested to hear your take with side by side shots with the d700 and see if you came up with the same conclusions I did. Its a great camera and you'll make it sing. Mine laid down on me last week, Sony said they would try to do a three day turn around but missed that last Friday. That may have been to much to ask so I'm hoping for this week. Graduation is this weekend and I need it desperately. We'll see how they do.

douglasf13

Bob, you may want to consider mount conversions for your Contax lenses, and then you get stabilization with them on the A900....not to mention good skin tones.

Eoin

Douglas, what contax lenses can accept a mount change?. Are you talking about the MF contax or C/Y or Contax N mount?.

Terry

This is a good thread..learned a lot. Terry I'm interested to hear your take with side by side shots with the d700 and see if you came up with the same conclusions I did. Its a great camera and you'll make it sing. Mine laid down on me last week, Sony said they would try to do a three day turn around but missed that last Friday. That may have been to much to ask so I'm hoping for this week. Graduation is this weekend and I need it desperately. We'll see how they do.
LOL- I never got around to anything side by side as I was seduced right away by the files from the A900. I haven't jacked up the ISO yet....although I rationalized :D away my high ISO saying I would normally use those in small sizes.

Just from feel vs Nikon is the color change. I was always messing around with the colors and WB on the D700 whereas these new files felt so right straight away.

It did give me pause that yours went down the day I ordered mine. Would love to hear the diagnosis.

Terry

Congrats Peter. I hope you enjoy it and don't curse this thread! :angel:

douglasf13

Eoin, I was referring C/Y contax. I believe the guy that I posted about last month, who does leica r conversions for Sony, is considering offering a c/y service, too. I've seen other conversions here and there as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Welcome to the A900club! Together with Zeiss lenses this is really a wonderful camera and I am definitely going to stay with this setup, however, the fact that I have several very good Contax Zeiss lenses makes me think of also buying a 5dII (with a happypageHK adapter) to be able to continue using them. Would you care to elaborate on why you abandoned the 5dII? Any particular problems? Thanks, cheers, Bob.
No problems with that camera, very good and very satisfying!

Only thing I wanted to have AF Zeiss glass and full automatic control and I also believe that Sony/Alpha is a brand to trust for the future. At least they are big enough and also committed enough.

I was on the edge to buy more C lenses or do the move right now and so I did it because of Zeiss mainly. Talked also in length to my local dealer here and he has (only) 2 customers with Alpha 900, but both are very demanding (M8, DMR, MFDBs etc) and they like this setup.

So I am in good hope :angel:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congrats Peter. I hope you enjoy it and don't curse this thread! :angel:
Thanks Terry,

I am sure it will be ok! ;)

As I maybe mentioned already, it is for sure a great combo together with Zeiss lenses and it buys me some additional time (hopefully) before I get into digital MF.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds like another A900 on the workshop. Nice to hear and a nice chance for me to see the files and cam first hand and anyone else going, bonus Doug and I can fine tune the A900 for C1. We have a nice diverse set of gear MF Phase products P40 , P45+, P30+ and maybe P65+ and also H3 . Nikon D3x, Leica M8's, Sony A900 and Canon 5DII. Folks I still have room for 2 more.

jonoslack

Congratulations Peter - I hope that you find it as much a breath of fresh air as I have moving from Nikon - and Terry seems to have as well.

Good Luck

picman

Bob, you may want to consider mount conversions for your Contax lenses, and then you get stabilization with them on the A900....not to mention good skin tones.
Douglas that would be just wonderful. I've been in contact with David Llado from Leitax who apparently was planning a mount conversion too. However, I have not heard from him recently. I'll verify that other address you mentioned.

Cheers, Bob.