The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay, I got the F58, so how do I use it?

Eoin

Well I have 2 58's and it's just a matter of setting the camera to wireless flash, pop the remote flash on to the camera and set it as RMT1, the take it off and position it. Put the commander (other 58) in and set it as CTRL (controler) and pop away.

I'll confess to using it once, when I get home this evening I'll check and report back

fotografz

Well I have 2 58's and it's just a matter of setting the camera to wireless flash, pop the remote flash on to the camera and set it as RMT1, the take it off and position it. Put the commander (other 58) in and set it as CTRL (controler) and pop away.

I'll confess to using it once, when I get home this evening I'll check and report back
Much appreciated.

Sounds complicated.

Eoin

OK I had a little time yesterday to play with the flashes and RTFM (read the ...... manual)

I was wrong about the info regarding the CTRL1 setting I gave. In order to be able to control the older 56AM from the 58AM you need to change custom setting C03 from the default of CTRL1 to CTRL2. Do this by pressing the FN button for 3 sec and go to C03 and change it.

I was also able to setup the 2 58AM's without having to place them on the camera first. I did read somewhere that this was the correct proceedure but for the life of me can't recall where it was.
Anyway I set both units back to defaults and started from scratch. With the slave I pressed the mode button to select WL then pressed the fn button to select RMT and placed the flash in position. With the controller I set the mode to wireless and placed it on the camera set the camera to wireless and away I went.

I think the reason for placing the flash on camera first is when you set the camera to wireless flash it automatically sets the flash to wireless mode.

Also beware if you are using the AEL button to test fire the flash. If you have AEL set to AEL TOGGLE or [o]AEL TOGGLE every time you press the AEL button you will cause the slow sync mode to switch on or off, your better off using the AEL hold options rather than toggle.

fotografz

OK I had a little time yesterday to play with the flashes and RTFM (read the ...... manual)

I was wrong about the info regarding the CTRL1 setting I gave. In order to be able to control the older 56AM from the 58AM you need to change custom setting C03 from the default of CTRL1 to CTRL2. Do this by pressing the FN button for 3 sec and go to C03 and change it.

I was also able to setup the 2 58AM's without having to place them on the camera first. I did read somewhere that this was the correct proceedure but for the life of me can't recall where it was.
Anyway I set both units back to defaults and started from scratch. With the slave I pressed the mode button to select WL then pressed the fn button to select RMT and placed the flash in position. With the controller I set the mode to wireless and placed it on the camera set the camera to wireless and away I went.

I think the reason for placing the flash on camera first is when you set the camera to wireless flash it automatically sets the flash to wireless mode.

Also beware if you are using the AEL button to test fire the flash. If you have AEL set to AEL TOGGLE or [o]AEL TOGGLE every time you press the AEL button you will cause the slow sync mode to switch on or off, your better off using the AEL hold options rather than toggle.
Even though this is giving me a headache, I'll give it a try after a bottle of asprins. :ROTFL:

Thanks so much for your efforts. :salute:

jlm

Workshop Member
has anyone used the new shoe mount transmitter and shoe-fitted remote wireless units from Pocket wizard? Seems to be a very direct system with no need for cables and adapters. they also have radio protocol for Canon and Nikon TTL. if only PW would make that work with the weird Sony/Minolta shoe

fotografz

OH JOY!

Got it working with your assistance.

Complicated. So I printed out your e-mail and put it in the Sony bag. I can always slip off to the men's room and read it over when I need it at a wedding. Never let them see you sweat ...:ROTFL:

Thanks again :salute:

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

has anyone used the new shoe mount transmitter and shoe-fitted remote wireless units from Pocket wizard? Seems to be a very direct system with no need for cables and adapters. they also have radio protocol for Canon and Nikon TTL. if only PW would make that work with the weird Sony/Minolta shoe

They are canon only at the moment and plagued with loads of problems. The lighting board on FM has about 3 questions a day with people saying that they either can't get them to work at all or they only work 15-30 feet. Added to that are reports that the hotshoes are not strong enough, there are photos around that show two TT1's with a snapped hotshoe from mid wedding. Not sure I want to see what happened to the flash attached to them! Some people are not having any problems but I'm not buying into a system that's a maybe. Waiting for the EU radiopopper units.

I did an international ad camaign two weeks ago using the ST-E2 outdoors and even with 6ft distances it was nowhere near reliable enough if the slave was off axis. I was using someone elses equipment (most of mine is 2500 miles away) otherwise I could have used one of my 3 580's as master.

Good luck with the sony's Marc. I hate the menu system on practically any peice of camera equipment, having to remember which settings to set, which order of button presses (I hated the canon 1 series cameras). The old canon 420ex had a perfect system for off camera. A switch to put it into slave mode and two permenant displays with buttons underneath to choose channel and slave group. Add the ratio display from the ST-E2 and add those to the 580 (which would then need a much smaller LCD only) and you would have something really useable! I've gone back to using a 580 mk1 on camera just for that master/slave switch (instead of menu) that I'd missed so much when shooting weddings.