The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

alpha 900 first impressions

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
....that is 868x537, should be within range then.

I am wondering, when you guys resize in photoshop, do you change the parameter in the second block, Document size, and reduce resolution until you get down to the pixel width you want, or do you keep the resolution at 300ppi whatever, and just change the width/height?

Last edited:

jonoslack

....that is 868x537, should be within range then.

I am wondering, when you guys resize in photoshop, do you change the parameter in the second block, Document size, and reduce resolution until you get down to the pixel width you want, or do you keep the resolution at 300ppi whatever, and just change the width/height?
Nice picture Georg.
I just bung 900 in the width for landscape and the height for portrait.
Leave it at that.

carstenw

For the rock in the water:

That still looks oversharpened, to me at least. All the blades of grass and the tiny little crevices in the rock look like they are breaking apart, rather than belonging to a whole, and there are halos around some things. Try posting one without any sharpening at all and see how that looks. Once downscaled from 24MP, it is quite possible it doesn't need any sharpening.

The next shot, the earth bumps (?), looks better. The house is a really nice shot, but sharpening-wise for me comes somewhere in between the other two.

jonoslack

With respect to Sharpening
I agree with Carsten - try with none and see how they look. The rock certainly looks to much, and the house with the tree also doesn't look quite right.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
.... after working with the alpha a few hours now, I think i can say I do like the layout very much.... The quick funtion comes in handy all the time, and this undoubtedly can be done even better with customisations.

I am having trouble with the correct exposure strategy though, while the alpha did not show me blown highlights, C1 would show them, I wonder what I am doing wrong. Time to read the manual I guess.

So, the button layout, and functionalities are extremly well thought through, I felt quickly at home with the basics, and did not need to consult a manual at all, but I am having a major gripe with the package delivered.

I use the vertical grip, it is on all the time, last not least for battery reason, but that's where I think they should upgrade the package. It comes standard with BC-VM100 single loader, and the loading time fur a full charge is above 3 hours for a single battery. This is very inconvienient, and on calling my dealer they told me that this loader is a replacement part, and not something they can get that easy, apart from that, it appears this Version is outdated already, she spoke of another one that Sony mentioned.

12 hours for a double pack of batteries seems a long time to me, and I wish they would have a dual loader, or would make a second loader easy to be purchased. I have no timed how many shots, but when i left i was at 996% and it went down rapidly to 15%. I am not chimping on the screen, I just check histogram and composition, that's about it, and it does not take me long.

The cable remote is relatively cheap, well, not when you buy it at 30 Sterling, but it is really a bit flimsy and the cable is very poorly mantled.

This is nitpicking of course, but there is room for improvement I would think.

To be able to have it always with me in a handy package I got a lowe all weather Top loader where it fits with the 24-70 and the grip attached very shug into.

All in all, after a few hours, this is a superb camera with a lot of quality potential that needs to be explored in depth. The combination with ZEISS just gives it the final touch. My pictures above in no way reflect what this lense is cabable of, I am just beginning to learn it, but even from a first stumbling around with it, I can say this lense is worth every penny.

Yes, MFDB provides even better qualities, but hey, what else is on the market that comes closer at this point in time and for the money asked for. I think price value wise this system is giving me bank for my buck, and the lenses are equal and better to the very best I have shot with so far.

I can not say how well the files will hold together if they are upscaled, but I would not think this to be a problem in a moderate scenario.

I am very happy with that purchase and I think this camera will be with me for a longer time.... until the alpha 1000 ... may be.... :rolleyes:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Carsten & Jono,

thanks for your help here. I am really bad when it comes to optimising stuff for screen. - I hate the way the rocks look, they are soooo much nicer. -

I tried this here in the following way.

NIK 3.0 Raw presharpener, little postprocessing, and resize to 900 pixel wide 9best for reduction) which also sharpens a wee bit, and i left the screen sharpening competly out.

The earth bumps is what you see often in the bog here. (Denk an Lueneburger Heide, Torf) :)

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I think the output screensharping from NIK can only be used in the 5-20% region, it is way too radical to my taste. The defalut is 100% and this looks always totally oversharpened.

jonoslack

Hi Georg
that looks much better, but why not try it with no sharpening at all, just to see! Sometimes simple is best.

I don't use the grip - I have one spare battery, and I've never used up a whole one on a day's shoot, it seems a battery will do 300-400 shots with chimping, and leaving the menu on the rear LCD. I've take around 6000 shots since October . . . . hmmm, that's about 15 battery charges, but of course, I've done much more than that. Generally speaking after a day out, the battery in the camera will be low, and the spare will be unused, so I stick the low one in the charger and put the spare in the camera.

Maybe I don't shoot enough shots!

Generally speaking around here it's pretty windy (and there's lots of foliage). . . which makes a tripod fairly pointless as well. It's a positive joy to go out with the A900 over one shoulder with the 24-70 on it, and a small bag with the 135 and a wide angle over the other.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
You know what folks.... DOH....

It is the ZEISS! It is that damn sharp that you really do not need a lot of sharpenig at all.... only RAW Pre sharpening applied, I think it could use a touch more, but really only the slightest bit:

And again, there is so much detail on that bolder, growth, fungi etc. you can not see that in a 900 pixel wide picture on the screen here. But now it looks MUCH better to my eyes.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
The 135.... I CAN NOT WAIT! LOL It is in the Uk next tuesday, so it takes until next weekend until I have it.

Yeah, I know the wind is a problem here very often too. That's why I love those rocks, they stand still. :D

Generally speaking around here it's pretty windy (and there's lots of foliage). . . which makes a tripod fairly pointless as well. It's a positive joy to go out with the A900 over one shoulder with the 24-70 on it, and a small bag with the 135 and a wide angle over the other.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
George if in C1 just try presharpen 1. Than after you make the Tif file like you normally would do . In PS downrez it using bicubic sharpener to 900 pixels wide and convert to srgb. Not a fan of C1 for web output stuff. It's sharpening your files

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Guy,

I converted in C1 to TIFF, no sharpening, whacked it to LR, no sharpening, and did the RAW Pre and final sharpening, which was way too much, in CS3.

I am having a bad, day, just don't listen to me. :ROTFL:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
ARGH! LOLOLOL

There was sharpening happening in C1 as well... I thought when i set that to zero once, it would be this way for all pictures from here, but evidently NOT.

Boy oh boy... I should sell cars instead of doing photography. :ROTFL:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Now I got it.... this tiny arrow beside the reset adjustements button opens a menu, where I can save no sharpening as default.

Yeah you are right Guy... new camera, new computer, new software.... but same old clouded brain.... :ROTFL:

carstenw

The one without sharpening looks best to me, much more coherent and relaxed. Given the amount of information in a 24MP image, by the time it is bicubic sharpener resized, I don't think it needs any more at all. Bruce Fraser's book was written for Canons! :LOL:

jonoslack

The one without sharpening looks best to me, much more coherent and relaxed. Given the amount of information in a 24MP image, by the time it is bicubic sharpener resized, I don't think it needs any more at all. Bruce Fraser's book was written for Canons! :LOL:
I agree Carsten . . . no sharpening. But I do that because I'm a lazy bastard, not because I have any real knowledge:)