The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lunchtime with the A900 and Zeiss 135

douglasf13

Jorge, a firmware upgrade won't put a weaker CFA into the A900, and, apparently, that's the main issue with the A900's high ISO. We just have to take the good with the bad in all of these cameras, now that choosing only one is like committing to a single type of film.

That being said, Iliah Borg has mentioned that he is testing a simulation of a channel preconditioning algorithm that gives the A900 equal to or greater DR than his D3x cameras, but who knows if Sony will implement such a thing in a firmware update?

Greg Seitz

Edit: Sorry the photo seems to have been automatically downsized when uploaded to the post.

View attachment 17667
I think the directly attached files are resized to 900 pixels but if you post in your gallery you can link in a larger one up to 1200 pixels if I'm not mistaken.

My version (by the way, whatever lens you used on the Canon, it seems sharper in the corners than the ZA 24-70 at 70mm ;) )
Oh no, don't tell Jono that, he still thinks I'm hiding something. :ROTFL:

edwardkaraa

Oh no, don't tell Jono that, he still thinks I'm hiding something. :ROTFL:
lol now that he's got his 24-105 I don't think he would mind. By the way, I think the photos are either focused at a different plane, or the field curvature is in play, as you can see in the 2nd crops.

fotografz

Jorge, a firmware upgrade won't put a weaker CFA into the A900, and, apparently, that's the main issue with the A900's high ISO. We just have to take the good with the bad in all of these cameras, now that choosing only one is like committing to a single type of film.

That being said, Iliah Borg has mentioned that he is testing a simulation of a channel preconditioning algorithm that gives the A900 equal to or greater DR than his D3x cameras, but who knows if Sony will implement such a thing in a firmware update?
That would be cool. Fingers crossed.

fotografz

Marc, you didn't burst any bubble. I have never claimed the A900 had less noise. Still to my eyes, your A900 files look better, they just need a slight touch of chroma noise reduction. I understand the misunderstanding, you are looking for noise free files, for me noise by itself is not the criteria to judge a file's quality. Once chroma noise is removed, I actually like the luminance noise because it looks like film grain. As you have seen, Shelby is adding film grain to many of his wedding shots to make them look real.
Okay, you like what you like.

One correction, I am NOT looking for noise free files. What I do not want are blotchy backgrounds that prevent certain types of B&W conversions, nor noise with streaks in it. THAT does not look like film grain ... it looks like digital noise. I still shoot film, I know what film grain looks like ... and that ain't it.

Enough already.

Let's all enjoy our Sony's and share ways to improve the files ... which is a thread I started weeks ago. Always open to ways to make it better.

Am doing the same with the D3X files. Equal time, and all that.

wayne_s

Marc,

Is it possible you upload some of the raw files for these high iso test comparison shots of the D3x and the A900 along with low iso comparison shot so I can see that all the detail is till there in the high iso shots?

I assume you were enabling the 14bit mode in the D3x when you took these shots, do you take any with it disabled. I just would like to see the difference that mode makes to the files since I have read here that the mode reduces the fps to 1/2 of normal and that maybe the camera is reading the sensor twice to reduce noise.

Just would like to better understand all the tradeoffs each of these fine cameras make. Also, if you could post an example of a plastic 1ds3 shot like you mentioned earlier I would like to see it. TIA

toddbee

I have also found when using c1 on the a900 high iso images to crank up the color noise reduction in c1 while turning the luminance down almost all the way.. this works good on several high iso images i have experimented with

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

toddbee, I agree - see my ISO 1600 image of the ferry in the Fun Pictures thread yesterday. The Luminance was way down, but the Color was at 90%. (In C1 only because it looks awful in LR!)
Bill

toddbee

bill,
i have been playing with them in c1 and have to say there is a learning curve to tame the noise at higher iso's. but once you get the hang of it, i feel the noise can be squashed considerably. i feel with the a900 raw files, there is more post work to make them sing at higher iso's. i have also been turning down the default NR in c1 raw conversion at low iso's and it seems to add even more resolution then the already amazing files. i also have toyed with raw developer and have to say it does extremely well at handling the files too.

docrjay

I didn't visit this thread for a while. Lotsa activity.

In my field of work, to prevent these kinds of exchanges that tend to fragment care, we resort to randomized controlled trials. RTC's, must as a prerequisite, have an adequate sample size (computed statistically) in order to be significant.

The anology being, if you could do this in all of the disputed contentions in this thread, then I will skew my thoughts to the favorable opinion. Since these types of experiments are not deviced for photography because it is "art", which is a largely subjective field, then there is no final say on any matter, at least by a ANY single person.

The only gripe I have is the heavy handed insistence that such and such are better (AF, built quality etc..etc..) where the only evidence shown are experiments that are not randomized, controlled, not free of confounders, and no statistical inferences. Even the tests done by dpreview although standardized does not have a control group, which makes them quasi experiments. Therefore results should be taken with a grain of salt.

Forgive my respectful "insolence", but I take no ones experience with any camera as facts, they are all anecdotal. ALL. Same as the contention that having tested/owned all other cameras makes one's opinion "seem" authoritative.

All of the points that were said here should be taken with a healthy amount of skepticism. I know this goes BOTH ways with whatever, sony or nikon, canon and the rest. At best these are all opinions. None is better than the other (emphasis added).

We need to be scientific in assessing and also in providing the evidence to support our data. And let it stand there.

Indeed, let us just enjoy the beauty and flaws of every camera that we have. It was a good debate both sides. There were no bashing. Lets just remember to be scientific.

Last edited:

fotografz

In my field of work, to prevent these kinds of exchanges that tend to fragment care, we resort to randomized controlled trials. RTC's, must as a prerequisite, have an adequate sample size (computed statistically) in order to be significant.

The anology being, if you could do this in all of the disputed contentions in this thread, then I will skew my thoughts to the favorable opinion. Since these types of experiments are not deviced for photography because it is "art", which is a largely subjective field, then there is no final say on any matter, at least by a ANY single person.

The only gripe I have is the heavy handed insistence that such and such are better (AF, built quality etc..etc..) where the only evidence shown are experiments that are not randomized, controlled, not free of confounders, and no statistical inferences. Even the tests done by dpreview although standardized does not have a control group, which makes them quasi experiments. Therefore results should be taken with a grain of salt.

Forgive my respectful "insolence", but I take no ones experience with any camera as facts, they are all anecdotal. ALL. Same as the contention that having tested/owned all other cameras makes one's opinion "seem" authoritative.

All of the points that were said here should be taken with a healthy amount of skepticism. I know this goes BOTH ways with whatever, sony or nikon, canon and the rest. At best these are all opinions. None is better than the other (emphasis added).

We need to be scientific in assessing and also in providing the evidence to support our data. And let it stand there.

Indeed, let us just enjoy the beauty and flaws of every camera that we have. It was a good debate both sides. There were no bashing. Lets just remember to be scientific.
While you are at it take note that no one here as far as I can see, no matter how adamant, has positioned anything other than being their experience and their opinion based on their needs and specific requirements.

There are a few things that are specifically different and need not be scientifically proven ... like one camera being a single card shooting machine and another being able to shoot to two CFs at once. But even this is based on need ... real or perceived.

Most of the rest is also need driven and functionally or artistically subjective. And as with all subjective art subjects can be and are often backed by passion.

fotografz

Actually, the more I think about this, it is a good subject to discuss further perhaps ... at least to better understand where people are coming from. Maybe it belongs in the Sunset Bar Forum ... but it's started here so ....

Most of us rely on anecdotal experiences from people who's opinions over time have proven of value in the past. Often, these other photographers have subjective tastes similar to our own, or have offered technical solutions that worked to accomplish some specific task.

Let's take out fearless leaders Jack and Guy for example. While my creative focus is quite different from either of these photographers, Guy often faces very similar real world demands ... so his anecdotal experiences are usually a good indicator that I would have similar experiences. Guy doesn't have to perform a controlled test monitored by MIT for his opinion to be of worth to me. So, it is specific to lining up your needs to others in similar conditions or demands.

Jack has provided some invaluable technical advice, on and off forum, that solved specific issues I had communicated. Yes, some subjectivity here also, but not so much when it solves the issue at hand for a specific person and their specific needs.

When people make some comment, heavy handed or not, I usually look at their work to determine what their tastes and creative focus may be. This tells me what criteria they are using to make their pronouncements ... often made with the authority of that very use and need. Anyone that takes anyone else's pronouncements as authoritarian should be intelligent enough to realize it is ALL subjective and fueled by the passion of their specific criteria.

The desire to make it all scientific is a futile task IMHO. There are to many variables, which is what makes it art. It would be quite easy to challenge every single anecdotal comment or experience (in favor of or against) with a simple 2 word sentence ... "prove it!" This is of course impossible.

People make this challenge all the time by referencing someone's work that aligns with their own tastes and creative prejudices. This is no more proof than citing the work of Raphael to challenge the work of Picasso ... then going on to cite the brushes and paints used by Raphael as superior to those used by Picasso ... and so on.

I have used most of the cameras under discussion in this thread. It does not make me an authority on any of them EXCEPT where it impacts my own criteria and creative objectives. It is there that I am the authority. If I say I don't like such and such and say why ... it doesn't mean it will be true for one single other person on the planet. It is my "current" truth not a universal one. If someone is after similar objective or faces similar conditions, then that opinion may be of further value. Otherwise there would be no point to any discussion nor a need for any forum.

I for one do not favor homogenization and have yet to find a single camera that accomplishes anything that pops into my head or covers all of the situations in which I must make photographs. What seems to have happened with digital is that most people have to make a single choice because it is so darned expensive to have more than one solution. So we make a choice that best fits our tastes and objectives ... then bristle about any comment that points out the short-comings ... asking for proof ... which again is the universal way to stop any experienced opinion dead in it's tracks.

Your thoughts?

-Marc

docrjay

Hmmmm....

I am not trying to discount experience, there is value in it. But you cannot insist it to anyone. You must remember that experience is the lowest in the hierarchy of data. It is not to say its insignificant but its just a rough approximation of relative merit.

The desire to make it all scientific is a futile task IMHO
No sir, it is never futile, history and time has proven that. On the other hand the desire or to insist on being arbitrary and unscientific is. Especially when its whim is to be an "authority".

My only message here is to be "reasonably rational" without demeaning others. Such a yardstick is noble than the certainty that one's opinion are the only ones that have the heaviest merit because of their experience and the gear that they have or had.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think you have the gist of what I am trying to say. I don't see the use of pursuing this further because it is unfair to the other forum members as well as the original poster. If you are pleased to have the final say then the priviledge is yours.

But let me just end by saying that indeed asking for proof is the universal way to put opinion to its right place.

Peace out.

jonoslack

The desire to make it all scientific is a futile task IMHO.
No sir, it is never futile, history and time has proven that. On the other hand the desire or to insist on being arbitrary and unscientific is. Especially when its whim is to be an "authority".
HI Doc
Well, I am (I was) a Scientist, and I understand very well what you're saying about controlled trials and statistics. But I'm with Marc here.

There is plenty of scientific information around with respect to photograpy - MTF tests Dxo figures, even dpreview's reviews are heading in that direction.

But as far as I'm concerned they're completely useless, too many variables. Actually there two variables which are too many, and that is SUBJECT and SITUATION. It changes, and when it changes the whole pack of cards is up in the air again - of course, you can do tests on identical subjects (how about a row of bottles, or a teddy bear, or a resolution chart) - this may allow you to make scientific conclusions - but they're unlikely to be the same as those you would get in different lighting with a different lens under different conditions - and here's the rub - we don't all take pictures of the same thing!

Obviously, we all like to like the things we bought - but I don't see much partisanship around this site, certainly less than any other photo site I've been to.

nostatic

Bringing science into art often leads to paralysis by analysis and hence, the death of art.

That isn't to say that science isn't critical and shouldn't be brought to bear on the problems. But it is imperative that the forest not be lost for the pixel-peeping. In the end, technology isn't going to get the shot, a person is. And in the end, technology isn't going to view the image, a person is. Without context data has no meaning.

And I'm a scientist (reformed) so I get to take potshots at my former self. :p

jlm

Workshop Member
it doesn't have to be art vs science: some like chicken, some halibut, some don't and some (me) like them both. oh yeah, my graduate training was in research physics