The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

alpha 900 noise: Best Practise

ryc

Well,

Based on the comparisons I have seen HERE (french site) DXO is the best converter by far. Wait for the images to load then click on the converter name below the image to see each results. I mean the results are so drastic with DXO compared to the others.

By the way, Bibble seems to be the kingof bringing out details in the image.

Translated HERE

douglasf13

IMO, those DxO results are way too "smeary" looking. Regardless, DxO currently claims to be having an issue with the A900 black level, and their converter is somtimes giving green casts to shadows.

I mean the results are so drastic with DXO compared to the others.

By the way, Bibble seems to be the kingof bringing out details in the image.

Translated HERE
Thanks Jorge! I'm really not even sure how to respond to that, the results seem to be all over the map and I don't really see one converter that does a good job with noise, color and image sharpness. I didn't read the article so I'm not sure if they went by defaults of maximized for each image. I'm guessing defaults because the C1 pictures look oversharpened.

I guess I would say that DXO is the smoothest (noticeably so at all ISOs) and has the best colors, but not really sharp enough - odd since that is their claim to fame.

C1 seems to be the most consistent. Aperture seems to apply some pretty heavy handed noise reduction, or just doesn't handle the detail well. Raw Therapee is great at low ISO, but the colors seem off. Bibble is super sharp without looking oversharpened, but gets noisy fast and I don't like the way the colors.

Tough decisions, and no clear winner. It's not splitting hairs, they are really different, which tends to explain some of the polarized reaction to Sony image quality.