The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 18mm f/3.5 nikon mt on A900 with converter?

kuau

Workshop Member
Would something like this work on the A900 using a nikon to minolta converter mount and then using the CZ primes nikon mount on a A900??
Or is this just crazy??

Steven

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
The Zeiss/Sony 16-35 will be a much simpler and better solution. JMHO.

Kind regards,

douglasf13

The Nikon to Minolta mount has a glass element in it, which is usually bad news. Is there a C/Y version of that lens? If so, you may wait, because I think (leitax??) we are gonna start seeing CY to Minolta conversions appearing. Also, you may want to try the Minolta/Sony 20mm. It's really good at f8+, although Minolta lenses have more of the Leica "painterly" look, rather than the crisp Zeiss look.

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks for the info Douglas. Yeah after coming back from my Workshop trip with Guy and the gang I really got sold on doing landscape work mf/tech view camera, but..... It may take a year or so to save up enough money to buy a system. In the mean time I continue to use my A900, I sold my CZ-16-35 and my 24-70, I didn't lose any money on them. I felt I didn't need to have these lenses for what I am doing and have all that money tied up in them. I have the Minolta 20mm RS version which I like, I also have the Sony 28mm which is OK to. On the trip I was on, Woody who shoots with a D3X has all CZ primes for his D3X including the 18mm which saw some of the files which i though looked great. I saw a Nikon to Minolta converter for Dotline that does not have any glass in it. So that's what got me thinking. hmmmm.... Since I don't have my 16-35mm any more, I wanted something a little wider than the Minolta 20mm

Steven

douglasf13

Hmmm, I'm not sure that infinity focus is possible with a glassless Nikon to Minolta converter, but I sure hope I'm wrong!

edwardkaraa

I'm sure we will get updated ZA versions of many Zeiss wide primes with some patience. In the meanwhile, the 16-35 and 24-70 are more than adequate and the 16-35 weaknesses at the longer end are by far covered by the stellar performance of the 24-70 at 28 and 35mm.

P

panyawong

The Nikon to Minolta mount has a glass element in it, which is usually bad news. Is there a C/Y version of that lens? If so, you may wait, because I think (leitax??) we are gonna start seeing CY to Minolta conversions appearing. Also, you may want to try the Minolta/Sony 20mm. It's really good at f8+, although Minolta lenses have more of the Leica "painterly" look, rather than the crisp Zeiss look.
Nikon to Minolta mount without glass element.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pw_photo_album/sets/72157617505514838/
Designed by myself, solid brass, precision CNC with cutout compatible with James Lao's M42 chip.

panya :)