The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focusing Screen M Type

Braeside

edwardkaraa

Got the M screen today finally. I wish I had read the above article provided by David before installing it, as I had trouble putting the screen in place, expecting it to fit inside the frame. In fact, it doesn't go into but on the frame. Apart from that, everything went smooth, especially that I have previously changed screens many times on my Canon 1Ds cameras.

The M screen is visibly darker than the standard G type, but manual focusing is much more accurate (and easier) as advertized. I measured 1/3 stop difference between the menu settings, so I decided to keep it on G since a +1/3 is quite welcome since I usually would dial in at least that much when I'm shooting in normal lighting.

I did a few handheld tests with the 50/1.4 at 1.4 and realized manual focusing is sharper than AF, probably because this lens has a slight front or back focus. I won't bother correcting that.

Anyway, I would strongly recommend this screen to all forum members, since it makes manual focusing so much easier, and does not affect AF in any way for those times when AF is needed.

Oren Grad

Just a quick follow-up after using the M screen for a month - I'm still delighted, even though I'm now mostly using AF lenses (50/1.4 and 35/2). I have no plans to switch back to the standard screen.

I found installing it a bit of a nuisance, but then I'm something of a klutz and I've never been comfortable with screens that change through the mirror box. The first time I do it with a given camera, I'm never quite sure whether I'm tugging in the right place, the frame never seems to open smoothly, and I worry how much force it's safe to exert and whether the frame is really latched securely when I'm finished.

But I got it done without breaking anything, the screen hasn't fallen out yet, and I don't expect to have to do it again soon. So, all things considered, :).

douglasf13

I've got all the screens, so I've switched a few times. Once you get used to it, it becomes easy. It probably only takes me 20 seconds to do it now.

Terry

I measured 1/3 stop difference between the menu settings, so I decided to keep it on G since a +1/3 is quite welcome since I usually would dial in at least that much when I'm shooting in normal lighting.
I haven't switched screens yet. Can you explain this part to me.

douglasf13

In the menu settings, there is a place to enter in your screen type, because the different screens expose differently. By leaving the menu setting at "G" screen, Edward is essentially adjusting the metering to add +1/3 EV exposure compensation to all of his shots. I do something similar, but by using ZONE -1, as it adds about +1/2 EV to my shots.

Terry

In the menu settings, there is a place to enter in your screen type, because the different screens expose differently. By leaving the menu setting at "G" screen, Edward is essentially adjusting the metering to add +1/3 EV exposure compensation to all of his shots. I do something similar, but by using ZONE -1, as it adds about +1/2 EV to my shots.
Next dumb question....why do they link the focus screen to exposure?

douglasf13

Your camera's exposure metering is done through your focus screen, so, if you use a replacement focus screen that is darker or lighter than the stock "G" screen, you need to tell the camera to compensate one way or another. Interestingly, the "L" and "G" screen seem to be of the same brightness, so putting the "L" screen in and changing the camera's menu setting to "L" is just a placebo, from what I can tell.

edwardkaraa

:thumbs:

S

shoevarek

I wonder if anyone can help me with the following problem. I bought an M focusing screen to use with my manual lenses but it seems that even though the picture in viewfinder is in focus the actual photo is front focused. It happens with all 3 MF lenses I have. I ended up establishing focusing procedure: I focus from infinity to close distance and when picture in viewfinder is in focus I do small turn back to make picture in viewfinder out of focus. The actual photo taken is correctly focused however the procerdure is ackward and still more miss than hit. I switched back to standard screen and noticed that while front focusing is still there it is not as pronounced as with M screen. I saw some threads related to Canon cameras where there was talk about washers used to adjust focusing screen. Would this correct the problem I experience and does Sony sell such parts? Should I return the screen for a new one? If anywone could give me advice I would appreciate.

edwardkaraa

This is the first time we hear about screen inconsistencies as with the 5D1/2. IMO, you should try to see if the screen is sitting well in place. Otherwise, I would suggest a visit to Sony.

S

shoevarek

This is the first time we hear about screen inconsistencies as with the 5D1/2. IMO, you should try to see if the screen is sitting well in place. Otherwise, I would suggest a visit to Sony.
:bugeyes: That was fast. Thank you Edward. I tought I did everything by the book but to be frank the screen sits somehow flimsy. I just assumed it is by design. I will take a look tomorrow.. err today and check it once more. If that wont do I will take your advice and look around the photo stores in Chicago - maybe they can adjust that.

edwardkaraa

Just remember that the screen sits on it's frame not in it and the frame should click in place. Your screen may not be installed correctly.

:bugeyes: That was fast. Thank you Edward. I tought I did everything by the book but to be frank the screen sits somehow flimsy. I just assumed it is by design. I will take a look tomorrow.. err today and check it once more. If that wont do I will take your advice and look around the photo stores in Chicago - maybe they can adjust that.

S

shoevarek

Your comments made me consult the manual and check the screen once more. Originally I pushed the screen holder up until I heared the clicking sound and assumed that was it. This time I pushed it more upwards until it clicked second time and that did the trick. The screen and holder are secured in the position described in manual (pic 7) and front fosuing is gone.

Lesson learnt - never assume it is too easy and read manual end to end or at least view the pictures in it :) Thank you for your help.