The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minolta 200mm f/2.8G HS

Tex

Subscriber Member
Anybody using this lens?

Appears to be a stellar performer, small, light and fast.

PS: I am looking to purchase a 200mm for pano work with my A900 (plus hopefully a 850 for back up soon)

G

Goldencode

This is my favorite lens...and many believe this was Minolta's finest lens.
It is small, lightweight and incredibly sharp. Bokeh is beautiful. Sharp wide open at f2.8, did I mention it's my favorite ! ?

gilgameshist

Tex,

I have the original Minolta 200/2.8 Apo lens which is optically identical to "G"(gold), HS defines faster AF.
I, totally agree w/ you on this lens. It's all what you said. I think, It scored 4.1 in photodo test.

attached to A900:

A900, Minolta 200/2.8 Apo, ƒ/5.6

crop:

A900, Minolta 200/2.8 Apo, ƒ/4.5

crop:

Processed w/ ACR, only default sharpening.. no CA correction.
Hope you find one!

MG

R

Ranger 9

Yup, terrific lens. I used one a lot for stage photography back in my Minolta days.

If you're looking for one, make sure you get the UV filter that came with it as standard equipment, or add a different filter if your lens is missing it. The filter was incorporated into the optical design, so reputedly this is one lens that performs better with a filter than without.

JimU

Not Available
ranger9 i think you're thinking about the 300/2.8.

if you're using an a900, there is very very little advantage of High Speed autofocusing. I like the focus hold button, but the gearing sometimes focuses so fast that it overshoots the subject if it is low contrast.

for lowlight action, it'd be nice to have an 200/2.0 available but for landscapes it's prety good.

This was shot hand held wide open,

and this was tripod @ f/8, 40km from cn tower. full res shot in link.

docmaas

I've been planning on getting this lens as well. I've already bought a 2x apo tc. Does anyone have experience with the lens and the 2x tc? I was hoping for good enough quality to match the 70-400 with considerably less weight and bulk.

My other choices are the leica 80-200 f4, the leica f3.4 180 and the leica R 280 f2.8 non-rom. The latter is close to 2x the cost of the other 3 and quite heavy as well but it sure does perform well.

The big advantage for the Minolta is the af of course.

Mike

RDG

The Minolta 200 apo HS g and their TC1.4x is a great combination as others have reported. I'm new to Minolta "legacy" lens for an A900, current lenses include the 20mm 2.8, 35mm f2.0 and the 200 2.8. Interestingly, they certainly don't offer "Leica colors", but I'm very happy with the softer, smooth color rendition, and a little post provides the look you hope to find. The 200mm and the resulting 280 f4 are very close in optical quality from what work I've done. I'll probably look for the TC2x apo down the line as well. The little 200 has a lot going for it.

Also have the Min 28-135mm and it seems to be an excellent zoom, although a few early looks at the far corners seemed to indicate just how demanding the A900's sensor is. Since I saw about the same results on the CZ 24-70, I do need to retest both.

The Sony 70-300mm is the real deal, photographed a grand daughter's cross country meet several weeks ago, the "C" AF was very dependable and the lens at the 70-200 range was especially sharp, and I really didn't see anything wrong with the 300mm length as well.

All of this has me wondering how the 200mm with TC2x would fare against the 70-400mm, perhaps I need to sell both the 70-300 and the 24-70? When does this madness stop?

The 35 f2.0 is another lens worth the hunt and the money.

RDG

JimU

Not Available
rdg, do u have still have ur leica 19v2 FS and if so would it be possible to have some sample shots?

according to artophot.ch or whatver the 200+1.4tc wide open outperforms the 300/2.8 and a thread on dyxum concluded the 70-400 @ 400 is pretty much equal to the 400/4.5. there's a tc guide on dyxum that concluded that any 2x tc degrades IQ markedly so it probably wouldn't match up with the 70-400.

RDG

JimU

Several potential buyers have inquired about the 19mm, and other lenses, be happy to find a shot or two taken with the lens, both with a Leica-EOS adapter on a 5D, as well as the A900.

I'm not sure of the image posting procedure on FM, perhaps a little enlightenment is in order.

RDG

RDG

JimU,

Grabbed a file from B. C. taken with the Leica 19mm on a 5D, also included a shot of the lens -- hopefully not too OT, and I can certainly go to B&S as well for more of this.

I didn't know how to work over and convert, hopefully this will work. No work on the lens shot other than to resize and use the fill slider a bit to show more detail in the dark.

View attachment 23316

View attachment 23315

After previewing, could have increased the size to better show the images!

Tex,

I have the original Minolta 200/2.8 Apo lens which is optically identical to "G"(gold), HS defines faster AF.
I, totally agree w/ you on this lens. It's all what you said. I think, It scored 4.1 in photodo test.

crop:
Fantastic results, thanks for sharing. A side note... I saw the lettering on the tiles and was struck by the name -- I have a Russian SLR in my collection... brand name "Zenit". :D

RDG

Found several images taken with the 200mm HS G apo, no TC. The bullfight lasted more than an hour before the bulls moved out of sight, smaller in the frame with hoarfrost covered pines in the background they looked especially dramatic, but DOF problems gave the background trees a very uninviting look.

On the return trip, the bulls were on the road and determined to push my vehicle off the road, completely ignoring me.

Fun while it lasted, the jackrabbit shot shows excellent sharpness, including snowflakes, hopefully the jpeg conversion will maintain some hint of that. file data shows 1/250th at f5.6

Again, the 200 with and without the TC1.4x is excellent.

Thank you for the MTF work with the 200 and 2x TC.

RDG

View attachment 23333

View attachment 23334

View attachment 23335

docmaas

I guess the bulls trying to move you off the road must have been bulldozing.

I have a sigma 1.4x tc that I forgot to test. I will run it through some mtf testing tomorrow.

RDG

Mike,

Speaking of bulls dozing, attached is one taken at Fort Robinson, where there is a herd of longhorns. You'll have to look closely, don't know if the caption will display, it reads "Stay low!, There's the slaughter-house where nearly all of the Texas side of the family vanished." Or something like that.

View attachment 23406

RDG

S

scrasrady

Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!