The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just in case you haven't noticed: A850

Lars

This looks the perfect backup body for the A850; the A850 is slow, with lots of resolution, the A800 is fast, with less resolution but more reach.
Yeah it sounds like a wishlist. That doesn't make it real or plausible.

Hmm I didn't see this smiley before... :deadhorse: hehe

douglasf13

Terry, I wouldn't dwell much on Michael Reicmann's A550 review as an indicator of quality. I asked him about it, and he full on admitted that he hasn't really used any consumer DSLRs lately, so he doesn't know how the camera compares. With all of his complaining about the A550's vf, he didn't realize that it is nearly identical to the latest Rebel. I've handled every Sony DSLR, outside of the new A5xx, and they are certainly comparable in build to the competition...MR just isn't used to cheap cams :)

douglasf13

That photoshopped A800 looks ridiculous. It's just an A900 with a flattened top. Plus, it only shows 9 AF points on the mirror, but it supposedly has 23.

etrigan63

Oh, the A800 there is quite obviously a PS job. I'm just saying the PR(LR & NR) Guy's sources are usually pretty good.

gsking

Unfortunately, I think this is the camera that a lot of people want, but will never get built.

Things like a 100% viewfinder AND a pop-up flash just don't jive. As noted by the comments on the page, every feature is an upgrade, except the sensor resolution.

It seems more logical that a "true" A800 would come with a 95% VF or something to keep costs down for its intended market.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately, I think this is the camera that a lot of people want, but will never get built.

Things like a 100% viewfinder AND a pop-up flash just don't jive.
Both the D300 and the K7 have 100% viewfinders and pop-up flashes. The 100% viewfinder is much larger than a 98% one. The challenge is the precission.

Here's the link to the A550 noise samples compared to A700, A900 and Minolta 7D:

http://www.artaphot.ch/dslrs/201-jpg-noise-a500-a700-a900-and-dynax-7d

and some more samples:

http://www.lenstip.com/1753-news-Sony_Alpha_A550_-_sample_images.html

R

Ranger 9

Here's the link to the A550 noise samples compared to A700, A900 and Minolta 7D:

Interesting comparison. Other than the comfort factor for those of us who grew up using 35mm cameras, one of the few demonstrable advantages of 36x24 sensors has been that better low-light performance is possible thanks to the larger photosites.

However, I wonder if the backlit sensor design isn't going to turn out to be a bit of an equalizer...? Smaller photosites, but less obstructed by chip circuitry, might turn out to deliver comparable (or at least nearly comparable) results.

I've read engineering commentary to the effect that the backlit design inherently would have proportionally less advantage for a larger sensor, since the circuitry covers proportionally less of the photsite to begin with. So 36x24-sensor fans can't necessarily expect scale-up of the backlit design to give them the upper hand again, at least not to the same extent.

gsking

Both the D300 and the K7 have 100% viewfinders and pop-up flashes. The 100% viewfinder is much larger than a 98% one. The challenge is the precission.
Exactly. As Ed mentioned, those are not FF cameras. Add in AS, and the cost goes up even more.

As we already know, this drove up the cost of the A900 over the A850, so why would they ever put one on an allegedly "lower" camera, AND wedge in a pop-up flash?

We all know all "pros" want 100% VF and HATE pop-up flash. Right? That's all we hear at least. And it's us advanced amateurs who want the flash, and couldn't care less about the outer 2-5% of the frame. ;)

So I didn't say it wasn't doable...they did it in the film 9, after all. It just doesn't align with the mythical placement slot for this vaporware 16mp camera.

Even if it were real, AND expensive, would the sports shooters who would be its primary market even care about 100% VF?

Greg

Terry

We all know all "pros" want 100% VF and HATE pop-up flash. Right? That's all we hear at least. And it's us advanced amateurs who want the flash, and couldn't care less about the outer 2-5% of the frame. ;)

Greg
I thought the "pros" came to acknowledge that the pop up flash on the D700 wasn't useless (and actually a reasonable feature) because it allowed you to use it as a commander and saved either using a commander unit or investing in an extra flash.

fotografz

and some more samples:

http://www.lenstip.com/1753-news-Sony_Alpha_A550_-_sample_images.html
Man, I wish these people would STOP testing high ISO performance outdoors in good light. It's basically useless information.

Last edited:

gsking

I thought the "pros" came to acknowledge that the pop up flash on the D700 wasn't useless (and actually a reasonable feature) because it allowed you to use it as a commander and saved either using a commander unit or investing in an extra flash.
Hmm...I hope so, but I hadn't noticed. All the idiots I seem to read on the forums (OTHER forums, I guess. :p) seem to still think only neophytes need a pop-up flash. They can all afford an extra shoe flash, and carry it around incessantly...laughing at those of us who don't.

And of course it's ironic that Minolta reportedly got laughed at for putting one on the 9, so Sony decided to take it off their comparable model, lest they get laughed at again.

So, if your statement is true, and the trendy hordes have finally come full circle in their thinking, let's hope Sony gets back to the future sooner rather than later.

It's bad enough hearing some wanna-be on a forum spout rhetoric about "looking like a pro" and showing off his flashless camera...but I swear, if I ever hear anyone say that in real life...I'm probably throwing punches. :argue:

etrigan63

I have Nutcracker in December. I am posting the Grand Ballet Gala (Les Sylphides, Prima Donna, Autumn and Coppelia Act III) right now. Should be done by 1 AM.

etrigan63

Hmm...I hope so, but I hadn't noticed. All the idiots I seem to read on the forums (OTHER forums, I guess. :p) seem to still think only neophytes need a pop-up flash. They can all afford an extra shoe flash, and carry it around incessantly...laughing at those of us who don't.

And of course it's ironic that Minolta reportedly got laughed at for putting one on the 9, so Sony decided to take it off their comparable model, lest they get laughed at again.

So, if your statement is true, and the trendy hordes have finally come full circle in their thinking, let's hope Sony gets back to the future sooner rather than later.

It's bad enough hearing some wanna-be on a forum spout rhetoric about "looking like a pro" and showing off his flashless camera...but I swear, if I ever hear anyone say that in real life...I'm probably throwing punches. :argue:
Just slap a Gary Fong Puffer on your popup flash and you will not tarnish your "pro" status. Get a lot oohhs and aaahhs that way.

gsking

Just slap a Gary Fong Puffer on your popup flash and you will not tarnish your "pro" status. Get a lot oohhs and aaahhs that way.
Ha ha, excellent.

I think the biggest irony is that I use flashes more for daytime than nighttime. Most people don't get this. Also means I don't need any of my diffusers...no shadows to worry about.

Of course, it requires more flash power, and it makes a high sync speed that much more valuable. Would love to see the 1/300 shutter come back.

Guess we'll have to find a way to slap a digital back on a Maxxum 9, eh? :rolleyes:

Lars

Man, I wish these people would STOP testing high ISO performance outdoors in good light. It's basically useless information.
Yep low light and tungsten WB that's where the challenge is. Blue channel gets amplified about 2 stops.