The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoin

re: Fun With Sony _____

Mark, if it's not a secret, would you care to share your processing of these B&W. I love the toned effect you are getting. TIA.

mrtoml

Mark, if it's not a secret, would you care to share your processing of these B&W. I love the toned effect you are getting. TIA.
Thanks, Eoin. It's not a secret :D

I use Lightroom 2 (now trying 3 beta). I convert to monochrome and create a warm tone using the split tone filter. My settings are Highlight 51/18 Shadow 37/17 with the balance at 0. I crank up the clarity to about 50. I add a post crop vignette (with a lot of feather in LR3) and boost the blacks. I then adjust the contrast curve to get the look balanced.

Hope this is useful.

I have started experimenting with the high contrast BW preset in LR3 with the same warm tone and clarity boost. I like the look of this also.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Love # 2, Edward - (and I want that lens :)) - it's the only picture I can see from here, the other four are not showing, despite refreshing.
Funny thing is that # 2 is the only one that has an url starting with http: //ic2.pbase.com/ ... etc.
The other four have urls starting with http: //i.pbase.com/ ... etc.
Could it be that it makes a difference whether the files are located at ic2 vs. i ... :confused:

Eoin

Hi Eoin
. . . . and then, I guess, you'll head straight back to Aperture (like I've just done!)
:ROTFL: ......well, I wasn't contemplating a total switch. Just a play in LR :eek:. I'd rather wait for Aperture X before considering any move.

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :ROTFL:

jonoslack

:ROTFL: ......well, I wasn't contemplating a total switch. Just a play in LR :eek:. I'd rather wait for Aperture X before considering any move.

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :ROTFL:
moi? throw stones? :bugeyes:

Well, as you'll have gathered from my recent posts, I do think LR3 has things to recommend it. As for Aperture X - however good it is, I don't suppose it'll address the dreadful slowness with which Apple update their cameras though.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

My favourite is C1 v5, because I find LR2 quite poor at raw conversions - though great at pretty much everything else. I like Aperture too but not as much as C1.

BUT - I see great improvement in LR Beta 3, both for Sony and Phase files. Still exploring it...
Bill

Quentin_Bargate

Just back from a vacation in KL and Bali. Family holiday, so Photography was not a priority, but whay trip to KL would be complete without shots of the Petronas Towers?

first shot tsake with the A900 and Sigma 12-24mm in DxO Optics Pro V.6, which I am pleased to say is much improved over version 5, and now has support for the Sigma 12-24mm on the A900. Perspective corrected in CS4.

The second two shots are details taken with the Sony 70-300G SSM 4.5-5.6 I think these towers are quite magical, like giant upended space ships

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Yes, Edward, a neat little Induro I purchased while in Canada; light enough for travel, but sturdy enough for serious stuff - just!

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks, Bill.

Incidentally I was intrigued by your comments on the P45 Canadian Shield shot compared with your excellent Sony version. I keep mulling medium format digital over. I have a ZD camera and at pixel level its sharper than the A900 but the A900 is more versatile, and of course the ZD "only" has 22mp, wheras a P45 has 39. Then I look at some 24x36 prints I have had framed from the A900 and think they look great with plenty of detail - why would I need more?

Then there is the cost, of course.

I always end up concluding that a re-entry in to a higher end MF system would be an expensive mistake. I'm pretty handy at post processing. I guess its a debate with no firm conclusion.

So the A900 still gets my vote at the moment.

Quentin

fotografz

Thanks, Bill.

Incidentally I was intrigued by your comments on the P45 Canadian Shield shot compared with your excellent Sony version. I keep mulling medium format digital over. I have a ZD camera and at pixel level its sharper than the A900 but the A900 is more versatile, and of course the ZD "only" has 22mp, wheras a P45 has 39. Then I look at some 24x36 prints I have had framed from the A900 and think they look great with plenty of detail - why would I need more?

Then there is the cost, of course.

I always end up concluding that a re-entry in to a higher end MF system would be an expensive mistake. I'm pretty handy at post processing. I guess its a debate with no firm conclusion.

So the A900 still gets my vote at the moment.

Quentin
I'd have to agree with you on this. MFD will no doubt provide better IQ ... but in my honest opinion unless you have piles of spare cash or do paying commercial photography (especially studio type work with strobes), or want to use tech cameras, MFD is an expensive, less versatile proposition.

However, the incredible IQ will still haunt you :ROTFL:

-Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.