Site Sponsors
Page 100 of 147 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 5,000 of 7318

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I keep going back and forth. I still have good u4/3 glass and shoot the GH3, though mostly video. I was about to pull the trigger on the EM1 but held off. It feels a bit better in my hands than the A7, and my head says EM1 since I've got a good set of lenses (12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, 25/1.4, 45/1.8) and also the GM1 which is a fun little camera. My head says that staying in the same "family" gives the most bang for the buck, and the touchscreen on the EM1 makes for quicker shooting and the IBIS solves a lot of issues in low light and for run-and-gun video. I find the IBIS works better than the Panny OIS.

Plus I've never quite gotten on with Sony, and have somewhat of a bias about the company. Not sure why, but brands are funny that way. That said, when I look through the various forums here I see spectacular shots with any of the systems (since the shooters are *very* good), but for some reason the ones in this thread seem to stand out. I do have a 135/2 L lens that I'm not using that could go away and make up the difference between them. But while the GH3 is the work camera, the next one I buy will be the fun camera, so perhaps logic shouldn't carry the day. That said, GAS clouds the mind of even the strongest individual
    It is because the photographers in this thread are so great ! I'm particularly appreciating Tim Ashley, Werner Utsch and Michael Schierbek. I'm in the same situation as you : I have a lot of MFT lenses, plus a Canon 6D for TSE lenses. I have been tempted by an A7 and following the Sony A7s threads since it was introduced. But this week decided against it : I love my E-M5 and don't want to part from it. I bought the 12-40mm Olympus zoom instead and I'm very happy with it. I considered replacing the 6D with the A7, but it doesn't make so much sense, because the 6D isn't that heavy, nor that big 770gr.) and I don't print big.

Tim has also got an E-M1 plus 12-40mm and is raving about that combo. Look in the 4:3 threads (particularly the fun with the E-M1 and the 12-40mm thread) he has shown gorgeous pictures there : it's the photographers, the eye, not the gear ! I'm staying with MFT for the moment.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Some yes but not all and one could put a Noctilux on an A7/r. The bottom line is one can't argue physics when needed despite however much Micro 4/3 has come (and I still love my G1.) It's more than adequate for most applications no doubt but when a larger sensor is needed or wanted then you just need a larger sensor. Believe me the GF1 really made me want an M9 more for those instances.

Yes the Nikon D4 and Df are great/ capable cameras as well (although you can't adapt just about any lens ever made to it) but there's a forum to sing it's praises already.
    You can't judge the MFT sensor performance based on a G1 : the E-M5 sensor was a game changer (and the following other bodies). Yes, the FF Sony sensor has 2 stops more DR compared to the E-M5, but the 6D DR is the same as that of the E-M5, so while the MFT sensors aren't the best in town due to their size, in matters of DR they can match many other actual cameras including all the Canon ones (second DXO ratings).
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was a great supporter of m43rds but sadly I came to believe it is a technical cul de sac. De facto the physical sensor are can never increase and if after this long they cannot increase the pixel density because they cannot effectively control the noise at higher iso, then I am afraid they never will.

I used to think that 16mpx was enough for anyone then I made the mistake of owning the RX1 with 24mpx (let alone the DP2M/3M which create 47MB files). The ability to crop further than with a 16mpx sensor was a revelation.

Personally, with the arrival of the A7, which is not that much more expensive than an EM-1 and the ability to adapt pretty much any FF lens I cannot see why a new owner would start with m43rds.

Just my two cents and of course I expect sharp intakes of breath but remember I did own and publish and even sell some commercial photographs from my m43rds days so I am speaking with a little experience of the system.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I was a great supporter of m43rds but sadly I came to believe it is a technical cul de sac. De facto the physical sensor are can never increase and if after this long they cannot increase the pixel density because they cannot effectively control the noise at higher iso, then I am afraid they never will.

I used to think that 16mpx was enough for anyone then I made the mistake of owning the RX1 with 24mpx (let alone the DP2M/3M which create 47MB files). The ability to crop further than with a 16mpx sensor was a revelation.

Personally, with the arrival of the A7, which is not that much more expensive than an EM-1 and the ability to adapt pretty much any FF lens I cannot see why a new owner would start with m43rds.

Just my two cents and of course I expect sharp intakes of breath but remember I did own and publish and even sell some commercial photographs from my m43rds days so I am speaking with a little experience of the system.

LouisB
    Well, I came to a different conclusion : the question is whether it is good enough for what one does. IMO, MFT is good enough for editorial jobs and up to A3 or may be even A2 (?) and I don't need more. I do also think that MFT has found the optimal compromise between size and IQ. I'm not so sure about the A7 given its flange distance : there are no wides available for the moment.. So I'm waiting to see what the system will offer in say two years. I was interested by an A7 to use it as a digital back for my Zeiss Contax G lenses, but it seems to produce magenta vignetting and smeared corners with the 28 and 21mm. So no, you can't adapt all lenses on it. It's not the holy grail, at least not for me. I'm too much invested in MFT now. May be I'll jump later when the system is a real one with a full lenses line and the size of the lenses doesn't defeat the purpose. If several lenses can remain in the 35FE range, then may be..

(Yes, I remember your pictures very well, you were doing great with MFT :-))
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am pleased to welcome you, Louis, on the Sony A's forum.

Expected you could not resist the A7, a very good decision you won't regret.

I have the same experience like you, my OLY stuff (EM5, all good lenses) sits on the shelf since i bought the RX1. Used the OLY to complement my Sigmas DPM's for people etc.
    Now it is A7r and the Sigmas and i will keep the RX1.
    I do not think that the IQ (not artistic oc) of the MFT's can compete with the Sony FF's.
    But this is not the right forum for that discussion (MFT vs. Sony FF).

Annna T: Thanks for the compliments....and i think to ask what YOU need is a very good basis for decisions. And yes the EM's forum has beautiful photography, no doubt!

Post Thanks / Like

Frankfurt/Main, Westhafen:

The slightly curved lines are not lens distortion but part of the building.
    The DR and the possibilities in PP are enormous in these files. It is plain fun fun to work with these in LR (though LR have to improve)

Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A7r with FE55 is a great toy for night walks
    With all the "esoteric" considerations around leica lenses, and beeing a "newb", i wondered if i had to buy a cron or lux but when i see what i have with the Zeiss, including AF when i am lazy, i have no regrets

800 iso, post process with nik and dxo
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What improvements are you suggesting that are needed. There are things that are subjectively a problem to individuals but it's not universal to all.
    None. The A7/r are great cameras. They just have some very obvious limitations.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you AnnnaT for the compliment. I did leave M4/3 a long time ago, although i enjoyed a whole range of M4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic for a long time. Same reason as Louis actually. Besides I do like to print big, so FF came as a saving grace in this small Sony camera.
    The only other camera I could also buy in the near future would be a full frame Sigma Foveon sensor camera. Nothing can match these files in sharpness.

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LouisB
    But it is changing - continually, look at the quality of the RX100 sensor for instance- that pixel density would produce a huge pixel count in m4/3 (can't be bothered to work it out) what wont change is the fact that decent FF lenses are always going to be much bigger.

I'm loving my A7, but I do recognise that the E-M1 is a better camera in almost every respect unless you want less depth of field.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun for the family!

I took one of these snaps with the Noctilux at 0.95 with an ouffro on the A7. I rather liked it, and thought There is a shot you couldn't get on m43!

So, being bloody minded I thought I should prove the point.

Can you tell which was shot with the E-M1 and which with the A7?

Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    You can't judge the MFT sensor performance based on a G1 : the E-M5 sensor was a game changer (and the following other bodies). Yes, the FF Sony sensor has 2 stops more DR compared to the E-M5, but the 6D DR is the same as that of the E-M5, so while the MFT sensors aren't the best in town due to their size, in matters of DR they can match many other actual cameras including all the Canon ones (second DXO ratings).
    Never said I was judging Micro 4/3 based on the G1. To the contrary I actually said huge improvements have been made in a previous post and I was referring to the E-M5/ E-M1 sensors... I did try the E-M5 and it was a nice camera. I seriously considered the E-M1. I opted to go A7 + A7r instead as it was the better choice FOR ME and my desires.

Again not the place for this discussion and the original point was that you can't "cheat" physics and sensor size where light is concerned when another poster gave the hypothetical scenario regarding using a different lens to get the same shot. Yes it could be done but to state the IQ is the exact same isn't true.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LouisB

Thanks Louis. I also remember your Leica days, blue bells, etc.
    I use both types of cameras as they complement each other well.
    A7R for general photography walkaround, landscapes on tripod shots, etc.
    E-M1 as my 135 film 600 mm equivalent walkaround tele lens.
    Handholding WA lenses with up to 1 second exposure time and getting sharp enough images is also something no other camera can do in my hands.
    Image quality of the E-M1, as before of the E-M5, is quite good.
    Of course, the E-M1 is not competitive for shooting fast action sports in dark arenas. But for that I wouldn't choose the A7/R either. There are better options.
    As I said I like complementary tools being best at a specific task.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have a go Jono. Is the top one the E-M1?

A7R+ZM50/2

Ben
    Perth, Australia
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Devon. A7r and Zeiss/Sony 55/1.8

DSC00503-col by leephotographic, on Flickr
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Rafel
    These are lovely. A7 (or R)
    A7, my friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun for the family!

I'll be brave and pick this image was taken with your A7.
    Last edited by PSon; 12th January 2014 at 06:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

same lens at F1.0 + 7R

Likes 25 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

brought the a7r/35 to the job site. just finished the balustrade and railings for the is hotel lobby; made 30 of those complex medallions and all the curly bits. over 200 1" glass balls in those holes. all handheld quick shots with keystone correction in C1

Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Couple more postcards from Paradise... A7R with 55mm F1.8

This lens is a laser... 100% crop from a real grab shot.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ Amazing detail ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Well, I came to a different conclusion : the question is whether it is good enough for what one does. IMO, MFT is good enough for editorial jobs and up to A3 or may be even A2 (?) and I don't need more.
    Anna, I completely agree with you. MFT is more than good enough for most applications with the exception of billboard adverts (and even then...). I was just a bit spooked when the GH-3 came out, for which I had very high expectations and its initial (ridiculously) high price and imho not much improved s/n ratio. At that point I gave up with MFT. But it is a great system and some of the lenses, especially the Leica DG 45/2.8 and 7-14 are really wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    I am pleased to welcome you, Louis, on the Sony A's forum.

Expected you could not resist the A7, a very good decision you won't regret.
    Werner, thank you. I do seem to be following you around from forum to forum!

I'm afraid that once I purchased the RX1 it was a slippery downward slope towards Sony...

LouisB
    Last edited by biglouis; 12th January 2014 at 08:18.
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Couple more postcards from Paradise..

Yah it's laser sharp - reveal every thing...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    I'll be brave and pick this image was taken with your A7.
    +1 I think so too.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun for the family!

I took one of these snaps with the Noctilux at 0.95 with an ouffro on the A7. I rather liked it, and thought There is a shot you couldn't get on m43!

Since you mentioned OUFRO, and assuming the photos aren't cropped, the top one is A7?

Your point should be well taken. If you look hard enough on the Internet, there are other places that show the E-M1 holds it's own against many cameras with bigger sensors and more MP. These choices are a good thing, and we should just be happy and thankful for whatever camera we own irregardless.
    "We're human, after all, and everybody's got something a little off somewhere." - Murakami Haruki, The fall of the Roman empire

Post Thanks / Like

Man 'O Steel magnolia - (+ 100% crop)
    A7r, 90mm apo summicron asph at f2.5, 1/250, iso 1000
    I continue to really like this lens/camera pairing
    Last edited by cunim; 12th January 2014 at 18:13. Reason: exposing the pun
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am glad I chose the A7r despite the fact that everybody seems to be raving about the A7 because of the kit lens and a few RF wides.
    The files are just wonderfull, on higher ISO's as well, and there is so much room for corrections (highlights and shadows) that I must conclude this is a great sensor and camera for its price.
    I think Sony is the most innovating camera company right now.
    Not enough native lenses? Forget it, lenses for these cameras are all over the place for little money.
    AF lenses will come soon enough beside who need AF with this EVF and focus magnification and focus peaking in a lot of situations on these camera's.
    It is a dream to use all those existing fabulous old lenses with their real FL and DOF for once. Just perfect.
    ( why do I not have stocks in this company?)
    All the differences are not to be seen on internet presentations only at 100 % on your computer and in making big prints.
    For internet and smaller prints M4/3 is also perfect but there is life besides internet
    Olympus makes great lenses and ergonomical beautifull cameras but will always be crippled by the size of 4/3 for me.
    I hope something real good is coming out of their partnership with Sony.

Looks like summertime in Amsterdam these days, strange.
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more postcards from Paradise... A7R with 55mm F1.
    I am glad even paradise ain't perfect

Post Thanks / Like

A7R and FE 35/2.8:

DSC00835 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

DSC00832 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr
    Last edited by Amin; 12th January 2014 at 14:42.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the bigger files also have room for keystone correction
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

You have a magnificient sense of composition and the ability to capture "The Decisive Moment".
    I love both versions!
    Keep up the amazing work.
    Mike
    HI Michiel - actually, I think, better - it needed a lot of work . . . and I'm a bit lazy!

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jono I like both but lean towards the first despite the wonderful wash of green on the second. Very ethereal.

Clearly I'm going to end up with both. It is the dpi-way
    new album | nostatic | music

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the likes.

Similar to a lot of people, here, I've had a series of mft cameras. The EM-5 was the last, best, and, the one that I had the longest. I agree, pretty much, with all of the pros and cons for mft and the A7/7r systems.

More from the Pike Place Market with the A7 and Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8.

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 28 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots taken at the marina with A7R+55 1.8.

Last edited by scho; 13th January 2014 at 07:26. Reason: add image
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    I am glad I chose the A7r despite the fact that everybody seems to be raving about the A7 because of the kit lens and a few RF wides.
    The files are just wonderfull, on higher ISO's as well, and there is so much room for corrections (highlights and shadows) that I must conclude this is a great sensor and camera for its price.
    Not enough native lenses? Forget it, lenses for these cameras are all over the place for little money.
    AF lenses will come soon enough beside who need AF with this EVF and focus magnification and focus peaking in a lot of situations on these camera's.
    It is a dream to use all those existing fabulous old lenses with their real FL and DOF for once. Just perfect.
    All the differences are not to be seen on internet presentations only at 100 % on your computer and in making big prints.
    For internet and smaller prints M4/3 is also perfect but there is life besides internet
    Olympus makes great lenses and ergonomical beautifull cameras but will always be crippled by the size of 4/3 for me.
    +1 on the A7R as the "perfect" camera for use with a number of great lenses and making large prints with incredible detail. I will be selling my other cameras and keeping only the A7R and Nokia 1020. These two devices plus a few lenses from previous systems cover all the bases for me.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm already super-impressed with the a7r and M glass. The image quality blows me away. Not sure I'll be keeping my M9.

A7r with 50 mm 'Lux at f5.6. Perhaps not visible in an on-line jpg, the dynamic range is outstanding.

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another from today's stroll in the snow. A7r 50 'Lux.

Bill CB

Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And last a detail from the scene above.

Bill CB

Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post

Looks like summertime in Amsterdam these days, strange.
    Michiel,

If I may ask since I am going through the same dilemma these days. You've recently acquired a CV 21/1.8 of which you've given us beautiful pictures (as always!).
    I am also in the market for an ideal 20mm lens for my A7r. I've found used locally a Zeiss 21/2.8 - beautiful and as good as they say in the reviews, but it's just too big and heavy for me. I need something more travel-friendly where you never hesitate to take with you.
    I'm attracted to the Zeiss 18/3.5 but although better than the 21/2.8, it remains big/heavy.
    The CV 21/1.8 is another improvement weight-wise with the benefit of the 1.8 vs. 3.5. But fairly costly!
    Did you consider the CV 20/3.5 pancake-style on a Nikon mount?
    What about an old 20/2.8 Nikon AI-s or Canon FD?

Thanks for your opinion on this matter!

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

The Lizard Who Lives on the Moon...

Likes 30 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lizard Who Lives on the Moon...

Really cool photo.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Thanks for the likes.

Similar to a lot of people, here, I've had a series of mft cameras. The EM-5 was the last, best, and, the one that I had the longest. I agree, pretty much, with all of the pros and cons for mft and the A7/7r systems.

More from the Pike Place Market with the A7 and Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8.

Cheers, Matt
    Matt, these are fantastic. you really captured the light, the moments, and the action. I even like how I came out...didn't know I stuck my tongue out with photos though
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Didn't Michael Jordan also stuck his tongue out as a signature of his master piece when the game is on the line? After seeing some of your amazing photographs, the resemblance came to mind and if so I think Matt is very timing with this shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Matt, these are fantastic. you really captured the light, the moments, and the action. I even like how I came out...didn't know I stuck my tongue out with photos though
    +1, those are outstanding.

Tim - great shot!

Some B&W with the A7 and CV15.

DSC00950.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC00934.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nikon 80-200/4.5 MF w/ A7. I have enjoyed using the A7 with all of the Nikon MF lenses shared so far...only complaint: batteries have a very short life span.
    A little history about the 80-200/4.5 zoom. This was the first zoom lens to be accepted by working pros as on a par with prime lenses...very sharp, even wide open. It fell out of favor as other quality zooms began to appear because it was slow and had some serious zoom creep...but the images...oh, my!

BTW: 80-200 in very nice, clean condition was found on eBay for $79.00 and hooked up to a Fotodiox Nik to NEX adapter for $50.00.
    Last edited by benroy; 18th December 2014 at 08:53.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A favorite subject of mine - incinerators !

Post Thanks / Like

Posted these on another forum, but thought they might be of interest. Both with polarizer. First with A7r and WATE at 21mm, F8, 10 seconds. Second is with FE 55 at F5.6 30 seconds.

Likes 27 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All these incredible images. So much COLOR and vibrance. This was the best view I had today from my office window. Most of the day was socked in with fog and snow. A very gray and dreary day. :-(

Gary

A7 with the Leica 50mm Summicron-R....what a sad waste of good gear.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    All these incredible images. So much COLOR and vibrance. This was the best view I had today from my office window. Most of the day was socked in with fog and snow. A very gray and dreary day. :-(

Gary

A7 with the Leica 50mm Summicron-R....what a sad waste of good gear.
    There's a little bit of color sprinkled throughout there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's a little bit of color sprinkled throughout there...
    Yes, but not as much color as here...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    or here...

Quote Originally Posted by Luvwine View Post