Site Sponsors
Page 111 of 147 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,550 of 7318

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

The Sony A7, and five Leica R lenses.

I'm going to call it. The search is over. This camera does what I wanted with these lenses. The search for ultimate image quality, whatever that might be, is never-ending if you let it rule your photographic efforts. I choose to say "I'm done", stop here, and get on with advancing my photos.

Now here's a grin that makes me laugh out loud.

Sony A7 + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8
    ISO 2000 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60 sec

There are simply more important things in Photography than just more pixels, more resolution, more more more ...

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    f 1,0, just wondering do you have any issues with Magenta casts etc when using the 12mm Voigtlander with the A7r?
    Of course I have also this color shift.
    But I use the LCC function of C1-Pro, and works amazingly well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Oh yes ... riding a fixie I suppose the owner feels he's in control, but it would scare the bejesus out of me not to have a brake too. ;-)

G
    With some old bikes you can back pedal and it will block the backwheel and thus allow bracking. We used to name it a "torpedo" brake (not sure whether the same word can be used in English).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    That second one is DYNAMITE, Dave!
    Bill
    The third one rather is my favorite !
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    With some old bikes you can back pedal and it will block the backwheel and thus allow bracking. We used to name it a "torpedo" brake (not sure whether the same word can be used in English).
    That's a 'coaster-brake' hub. It is a hub which allows you to drive the wheel forward with the chain, coast and freewheel, and has an expanding shoe type drum brake built-in, activated when you back pedal. The Schwinn Sting Ray I had when I was 8 years old had one of them.

Here's a wikipedia discussion of the coaster-brake:
    Bicycle brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are not as effective as a front wheel brake but better than nothing. :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to call it. The search is over. This camera does what I wanted with these lenses. The search for ultimate image quality, whatever that might be, is never-ending if you let it rule your photographic efforts. I choose to say "I'm done", stop here, and get on with advancing my photos.

There are simply more important things in Photography than just more pixels, more resolution, more more more ... .
    HI Godfrey - I'm glad you've got there . . . . . . . . . . . but I seem to remember reading that before somewhere!

All the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

wow "photo retouch" app in nex 5r lets me adjust colors, contrast etc, crop and save out a JPG.

sony nex 5r with sal 18-200mm

in camera processed JPG!

impressive old toy this is.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Huhm, yes there was once someone who said....can't remember exactly but something like... well i forgot

Ij2 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr

Ij1 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a 'coaster-brake' hub. It is a hub which allows you to drive the wheel forward with the chain, coast and freewheel, and has an expanding shoe type drum brake built-in, activated when you back pedal. The Schwinn Sting Ray I had when I was 8 years old had one of them.

Here's a wikipedia discussion of the coaster-brake:
    Bicycle brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are not as effective as a front wheel brake but better than nothing. :-)
    I remember them, I think a lot of BMX bikes had them when I was a kid. Still prefer the disk brakes on my bike though
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Teo View Post
    Third set…

Whisky again

Shot with the CV Nokton 50mm f1.5 ASPH II (M mount) adapted with a Voigtlander M-NEX adapter
    First picture that I have ever liked the rendering from that lens. I usually find it flat and lifeless but this image is anything but!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the overused subject matter, but this was at ISO 3200.

a7r, Canon 90 f/2.8 ts, metabones...

Did I mention ISO 3200?

Dave

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Sony A7, and five Leica R lenses.

I'm going to call it. The search is over. This camera does what I wanted with these lenses. The search for ultimate image quality, whatever that might be, is never-ending if you let it rule your photographic efforts. I choose to say "I'm done", stop here, and get on with advancing my photos....
    A good feeling, no doubt. A real milestone. Now put on blinders and stick with what matters.

BTW, really enjoy your blog.

John

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Don't tell me I'm the only one who remembers coaster brakes!? Just pedal backwards; it'll stop - unless the chain derails

Dave

PS: That's probably the reason for the weird toe-clips too, since it is a pain to rotate the pedals around to the right spot.
    To be clear Dave this bike has no coaster brake...it is as Godfrey mentioned a fixie...more like direct drive you pedal forward it goes forward try to pedal back like a coaster brake and it drives the wheel in reverse...so yes it will stop the bike but more like an ice skater slamming to a stop skidding on their edges. Got to be really good and have a bit of room if you need to stop in a hurry or you go down...hard.

Actually it has two hubs ... one a free wheel and the other a fixie...just reverse the wheel in the back triangle and you change how the bike works...but no real brake with either.

The key is the wrench mounted on the down tube...allows you to change the wheel any time you need ... either to fix a flat on the trip or to convert fixie to free or back.

See here: Guy Gear: Fixed-Gear Bikes - AskMen

Lots of fun but more like having a Porsche 356 to drive on Saturdays...unless you are a bike messenger who follows the mantra - "Ride it like you stole it!"

Sorry for the diversion....back to the pics

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Godfrey - I'm glad you've got there . . . . . . . . . . . but I seem to remember reading that before somewhere!

All the best
    too true. :-\ i'm hoping this is different.
    one can only aspire..

G

Post Thanks / Like

"The Milky Way"

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lantau Island, Hong Kong
    A7R+WATE
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Rodenstock | Schneider | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tsing Ma Bridge, Hong Kong
    A7R+WATE
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Rodenstock | Schneider | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    To be clear Dave this bike has no coaster brake...it is as Godfrey mentioned a fixie...more like direct drive you pedal forward it goes forward try to pedal back like a coaster brake and it drives the wheel in reverse...so yes it will stop the bike but more like an ice skater slamming to a stop skidding on their edges. Got to be really good and have a bit of room if you need to stop in a hurry or you go down...hard.

Actually it has two hubs ... one a free wheel and the other a fixie...just reverse the wheel in the back triangle and you change how the bike works...but no real brake with either.

The key is the wrench mounted on the down tube...allows you to change the wheel any time you need ... either to fix a flat on the trip or to convert fixie to free or back.

See here: Guy Gear: Fixed-Gear Bikes - AskMen

Lots of fun but more like having a Porsche 356 to drive on Saturdays...unless you are a bike messenger who follows the mantra - "Ride it like you stole it!"

Sorry for the diversion....back to the pics

Bob
    Plenty of pictures of Torpedo brakes here and yes this corresponds to what you name coaster brakes..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is an old abandoned shuk that they built as an indoor alternative to the outdoor one in Jerusalem. It was abandoned almost immediately and to date has been still accessible, covered in a thick layer of dust. I had been there in the summer to take this photo as part of a project I'm working (slowly) on.

5D3 with 16-35LII

It was pouring today and although I'd wanted to go to a beautiful area called Nachlaot to explore the use of focal lengths within portraiture it wasn't on the cards. Instead I thought I'd take them here. Well we got there to find out that all the stalls have been torn down and there's white sheet metal walls along all the corridors. Loving the opportunity to be able to teach the concept of making the best of your location I did the lesson here.

Anyway, long preamble to my first non test shot using the OM 21mm f3.5 on the A7r. Tiny lens. Same size as the adaptor! Can't tell much about the IQ from an iso 5000 shot handheld under awful fluorescent lighting wide open. I keep getting my finger in the shots though, lens really is that tiny!

Molly, A7r, OM 21mm f3.5

Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    A good feeling, no doubt. A real milestone. Now put on blinders and stick with what matters.

BTW, really enjoy your blog.

John
    Thank you John. My wordpress blog has been neglected for so long ... sigh. I may start over again. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    There is an old abandoned shuk that they built as an indoor alternative to the outdoor one in Jerusalem. It was abandoned almost immediately and to date has been still accessible, covered in a thick layer of dust. I had been there in the summer to take this photo as part of a project I'm working (slowly) on.

5D3 with 16-35LII

It was pouring today and although I'd wanted to go to a beautiful area called Nachlaot to explore the use of focal lengths within portraiture it wasn't on the cards. Instead I thought I'd take them here. Well we got there to find out that all the stalls have been torn down and there's white sheet metal walls along all the corridors. Loving the opportunity to be able to teach the concept of making the best of your location I did the lesson here.

Anyway, long preamble to my first non test shot using the OM 21mm f3.5 on the A7r. Tiny lens. Same size as the adaptor! Can't tell much about the IQ from an iso 5000 shot handheld under awful fluorescent lighting wide open. I keep getting my finger in the shots though, lens really is that tiny!

Molly, A7r, OM 21mm f3.5
    These photos look just fine at this size. How do they look full screen?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

incredible?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots taken today with flat, pre-snow storm lighting using the A7R and Leica R 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit. Still waiting for a proper adapter so used a Leica R to LM (Fotodiox) + M to E (Phigment) combination for these shots. A bit loose, but otherwise OK. I tried a metabones R to E (too tight) and Fotga (loose and wobbly), so hopefully the Novoflex that is one the way will be OK. Corners are a bit soft, but passable.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Couple from ZE 25/2.0 ...
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A7 + Mamiya 645 150 3.5. I am really liking this lens despite poor flare resistance and some purple fringing (easily removed in post, didn't do it here due to sheet laziness). And at the price I got it ($65 in excellent condition) it is a steal.

This is a ~ 25% crop of the full image.

-- Eeraj
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    First picture that I have ever liked the rendering from that lens. I usually find it flat and lifeless but this image is anything but!
    Thanks! I think it's also a combination of the ambient light sources. It's backlit behind my dog, and behind me is another giant source of natural light from outside the building, which serves to light her in a beautiful way. f1.5 does the rest!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

A few more pics…..

Supertrees at Sunset

Taken with the Nikon 24mm f2.8 - was playing around with the Creative styles (sunset mode) - apparently it seems to be carried over into the RAW files (I shoot only raw) - Lightroom 5.3 has some of the in-camera profiles (e.g. clear, natural, vivid etc)

Couple with phone

Shot with the el cheapo SAL 85mm f2.8 SAM "easy choice" lens as defined by Sony - I quite like the look produced, even if it is not the sharpest lens around. Because I have to use it with the LA-EA4, the focus, though noisy, is pretty fast. And phase detect focus means the camera does not try to re-focus every time you press the AF button if the distance is the same. I should try more SAL lenses with the A7!

When the Horse arrives, success is guaranteed

28-70 FE Kit lens - the title is a (funny) translation of the Chinese words on the left :P

Three Heads

Sony 28-70 FE kit lens - I love using it on the 28mm (in my opinion, where it is best. It's pretty weak at 70mm focused to infinity though…..)
    Last edited by David Teo; 4th February 2014 at 18:46. Reason: correct typos
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This afternoon's coffee break extravagance ...

ISO 6400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60 second

(I could only eat about 1/3 of that cake without risking hypoglycemic shock!)

Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Some more - Just realized I am posting a lot of A7 pictures used a lot on tripod but that's not quite the normal way I use it!

Traffic Trails

Nikon 24mm f2.8 AFD on the A7

Fireworks marking the start of the Chinese Lunar New Year

28-70 FE Kit zoom - forgot to pack the wider Nikon 24mm….. urgh.

Horses at the Crossroads

28-70 FE Kit zoom

Traffic Trails 2

SAL 85mm f2.8 SAM lens with the LA-EA4 adapter

Light Show at Gardens by the Bay

CV Nokton 50 f1.5 ASPH II M mount on the A7 - long exposure.
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This afternoon's coffee break extravagance ...

ISO 6400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60 second

(I could only eat about 1/3 of that cake without risking hypoglycemic shock!)

Moderators, can Godfrey please be warned for posting such NSFD (not safe for diet) images on a public forum?

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking one way..

Looking 180 degrees the other way.....

Likes 23 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely light Michiel

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Trying out the Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 Sonnar on the NEX5N-IR. The white stuff is back again today.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the less loved (I don't know why) Zeiss C/Y 80-200

and a 100% crop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Took the A7 & kit lens out for a winter hike in the local mountains - lowest temp was -10 C. Camera on my pack strap with a camera clip (Peak Designs) - so open to ambient temp the whole day - no problems.
    Cold enough for this raven to allow a close approach without food enticement (shot at 70mm)
    Likes 21 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Scho, did you get your Nex sensor modified for IR? or did you just put and IR filter in front on the lens?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Scho, did you get your Nex sensor modified for IR? or did you just put and IR filter in front on the lens?
    I had the NEX5N converted for IR by Digital Silver Imaging two years ago.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

turn-and-burn from LA to SJC for work. Always fun when your meals are in an airport. Or not...

new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One more with the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar on the NEX5N-IR. Both of the Sonnars seem to perform well in IR, so I think I'll take the little NEX5N along with the A7R when I'm in sunny, central America next month.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is one of the three old steammills build in 1849 to pump away the water of the Haarlemmermeer (lake) between 1849 and 1852. Build in the traditional old English industrial style.
    Today the Haarlemmermeer is a polder on which Amsterdam Schiphol airport is located.

Cruquis1 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr

Cruquis2 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr

Two stich.

Cruquis4 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr

Cruquis5 by Michiel Schierbeek, on Flickr
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

All the best
    too true. :-\ i'm hoping this is different.
    one can only aspire..

G
    Well, I'm just as bad - I'm trying to refine things so that I just have my Ms and one mirror less . . . . . . . but which one!

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ben, great stuff. Please post more.

Post Thanks / Like

New arrival: FE 24-70/4. First pic not with but of the new lens.
    First impressions are very promising, more to come

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We want images . Lol

Seriously this lens is on a lot of folks checklist and any test shooting would be great.

Or you can just send to me and I'll give it a full run. I'm so bad. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

OK, Guy
    i didn't wanted to post these, but before i have to send the lens to you....

Remember we have to pay a 30%+ premium here in Europe with Sonys 1:1 USD/EUR exchange rate, thats why we get it early..

First tests, shot just out of my window all RAW, LR5 to Flickr no PP:

@ 50mm

@70mm

@70mm

@24 mm

same as above - JPEG out of cam, all corrections to ON

Sorry about the boring subjects... but no time for doing better.

First impressions:

Very good OSS, near silent
    Not to heavy or to big..
    AF: good for me

Very sharp in the center and middle parts quite good in the corners
    Strong distortion, cleans up nice in Jpegs and with a LR profile to come.
    Extremely low CA

More pics to come, hope to get out tomorrow, though the forecast says rain...

PS: All pics @100% via Flicker, if you like.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking pretty good . 24mm looks pretty heavy distortion but a easy fix in post. 70mm looks pretty dang good in center and edges/corners not bad at F4 from what I can see. Thanks for getting these up.

Now tell those Germany builders to start using a level when building . LOL

Actually that is the real charm of those old towns in Germany. Been there and want to go back.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Looking pretty good . 24mm looks pretty heavy distortion but a easy fix in post. 70mm looks pretty dang good in center and edges/corners not bad at F4 from what I can see. Thanks for getting these up.

(..)

+1 Thanks a lot for those really revealing pictures and useful information, very much appreciated!
    Best regards - Hermann

Post Thanks / Like

+1 thank you very much! Hungry for more info and views, especially if you have a view as to how the corrected files look compared to, say, the 24-70 F2.8 'trinity' lens on a D800!

Post Thanks / Like

In case folks here have not seen this. Some reactions on 24-70 from Paul Richman. Paul is a good guy and if I can paraphrase, he thinks the 24-70 is good but not great. Needs stopping down to F11 to get reasonably sharp corners.

A7r: FE 24-70mm F4 Tests: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

summilux r 80 full open

_DSC1206-bw by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post