Site Sponsors
Page 13 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

and a welcome from me too - interesting shots.
    It seems to have lost the plot on the vertical panorama around the base of the tree (pity) otherwise it looks great.
    How close does that zoom lens focus?
    Did it take long to wipe the dog bogies off the front element?
    Love the dog's expression, and I really like the shot of the door and the window with the birds too.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the forum. If you had tried the auto HDR you probably wouldn't have blown the highlights on the arch picture and you would capture more detail on the picture of the building with the birds. However, this is an easy camera to learn from and for all I know that was the effect you were looking for. If it was ignore my comments.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone that has done the upgrade, do you see any difference in AWB? It seems to me that in incandescent light the AWB tends to go heavy toward the reds and is one area Sony needs to improve the image. With the JPGs it can be hard to correct. Even with Bibble Pro 5 it still is not quite right adjusting the RAWs. I'll have to see what Sony's RAW converter does.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Test (video) from Rabe using his 16/2 Arri Distagon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cinegon/4754223823/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How did he do this? How did the camera adjust for changes in lighting and focus with a manual lens (I assume the Zeis lens is a manual lens and I don't recognize the mount).

Here i a shot with 18-55 just a tad to close but it sure looks 3d. (wasn't shot in 3D mode.) Screen shot from Bibble Pro5 raw conversion.
    Last edited by barjohn; 14th July 2010 at 06:38.
    V/r John

Masterbrew

Thanks for the welcome and comments

I'm not sure how close it can focus. The dog was about 15-20 cm away from the camera, and i think iAuto tried to focus on the eye.

Didn't notice the messup in the panorama pic initially. I looked through the others I took and they don't have it. It was kinda hard to spin the camera around it's own axis at an even pace with my arms stretched out, it's more my fault than the camera :-P

Someone posted this pretty impressive video taken by nex on dpr forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSjdobj0lQ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    How did he do this? How did the camera adjust for changes in lighting and focus with a manual lens (I assume the Zeis lens is a manual lens and I don't recognize the mount).

He makes his own adapters. That (use of a 16/2 Distagon in Arri mount on a NEX-5) means that he has that adapter.

Rabe also informed me that the Samsung NX-10 does not allow video captures while using non Samsung (manual focus) lenses. That cam/"system" is doomed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I see that it is available in a variety of mounts so without knowing more it is difficult to say what he has and what he is doing.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I came upon this plant today. I don't know what it is but I really like it. Any ID would be useful. It was huge (and dense like a bush) and essentially impossible to both isolate and get all of the budding areas in focus. That being said, I do like this shot. These are standard jpeg colors with a little bit of the clarity slider.

one more

Amazing how close those were in color to the poppies a few feet away....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, Please compare the GF1 and the NEX5. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

What a neat plant. I really like the first also but appreciate the second one just to see its really sculptural shape. Totally foreign to me

The color match between the 2 is wonderful and that they were in the same area is interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by durrIII View Post
    Terry, Please compare the GF1 and the NEX5. Thanks
    I'm also very curious about this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was just out shooting for the whole day. Have lots of images to sort through. When I got home my A to E mount adapter was waiting for me.

It is very solid. I was afraid there would be stress on the camera but it seems really well made. My Minolta 24-105 is a bust because the NEX won't adjust the aperture. The 24-70 is shown below. I am NOT planning to walk around with lenses like this but to be able to use the Alpha glass on a tripod was my goal.

I will test it in use over the course of the rest of the weekend.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That rear lens cap doubles as a camera! Nice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Working to learn good technique with the sweep panorama mode. I found a great tip at DPReview about using the camera in portrait mode and changing the sweep direction to "down". This yields a different shaped pano that can be very appealing. I still need to work out how to best deal with big exposure differences (camera locks exposure at first shot) and if I am better off starting from the side of the frame that could blow out and having the camera lock exposure from that area or just go the more comfortable direction with EV compensation. These are reduced to 1200 pixels.

Here are links the full sized versions (the wide one was compressed more to get to the allowable file size for upload). Click the thumbnail. Then click on the picture in the gallery and it will open to full size.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic shots Terry! Loving the 1st and 3rd! Hoping I get some killer panos in Munich and Moscow with this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No interesting subject; some light and my kitchen.
    Straight from the camera in bw JPG.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

THe B&W tones look really nice to me. I haven't used B&W yet in the camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last bit from today. Tomorrow I will play with the Alpha lenses/adapter.

the color version - also shot this in IR

what would a day be without a bridge picture from me

Masterbrew

Can't wait to see your results with that lens Terry. Great panoramas, are they handheld?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I was just out shooting for the whole day. Have lots of images to sort through. When I got home my A to E mount adapter was waiting for me.

It is very solid. I was afraid there would be stress on the camera but it seems really well made. My Minolta 24-105 is a bust because the NEX won't adjust the aperture. The 24-70 is shown below. I am NOT planning to walk around with lenses like this but to be able to use the Alpha glass on a tripod was my goal.

I get the feeling that tripod head is worth a lot more than the lens cap and the adapter.

Looks like Sony are most suitable to make a 35mm sensored digital back.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I get the feeling that tripod head is worth a lot more than the lens cap and the adapter.

Looks like Sony are most suitable to make a 35mm sensored digital back.
    CORRECT on both counts

Yes, for this application, the NEX 5 is simply a digital back and exactly what i was looking for. A relatively inexpensive, tiny (no weight) way to provide a backup to my A9000 on a trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the panos, Terry. That little camera looks like great fun and a super back-up to your A900.
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like

It is very solid. I was afraid there would be stress on the camera but it seems really well made. My Minolta 24-105 is a bust because the NEX won't adjust the aperture.
    Thanks Terry for that. I am curious as to why the aperture won't work on Min 24-105, it has the same aperture linkage as the CZ. Perhaps the 24-105 was seated properly? Have you tried with any other non-SSM lenses?

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    Thanks Terry for that. I am curious as to why the aperture won't work on Min 24-105, it has the same aperture linkage as the CZ. Perhaps the 24-105 was seated properly? Have you tried with any other non-SSM lenses?

Cheers,

N
    Wooohooo you are right it must not have attached it properly. It works.

What other small, good to have, lenses are out there?

--
    Last edited by Terry; 4th July 2010 at 13:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By the way, I have been playing with Bibble 5 Pro (5.1.f) and the skin tones look pretty good when working with the RAW files. It is fairly easy to use though it has more adjustments than even LR 3. It also includes lens correction and the Sony lenses are in it but I don't know how well it works yet. I wish LR would hurry up with a profile.
    Comparing the JPGs in LR 3, C1 and Bibble 5 Pro is interesting in that the skin tones are very close between LR 3 and C1 with a slight difference with Bibble 5 Pro. There is much more detail that can be pulled when using Bibble 5 Pro and the RAW file.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Wooohooo you are right it must not have attached it properly. It works.

What other small good to have lenses are out there?
    Cool, had me worried on that. I will get my adapter soon.

Among zooms, old Minolta 35-70 f4 is a surprisingly good lens, metal build, and less than $50, compact and sharp across the frame (FF too!). I also like the Minolta 135 f2.8 for compact tele. It may be too long indoors (especially on APS-C) but outdoors it is nice. Sony/Min 50 f1.4 is nice too. I prefer it over sigma because it is so compact.

I am considering re-buying the rokkor pancakes, after all the MC-MD to NEX adaptor is available, especially for the video.

from Pete Ganzels tinkering page

BTW - The multi-point metering works insanely well (i think better than the matrix metering), as does spot metering. If only spot metering moved with the flexible focus point, i would be happy.

Cheers,

N

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By multi-point do you mean the center weighted metering? I only see three metering modes, multi, center and spot.
    V/r John

Razii

Sony/Minolta 50mm F1.4 is small and will go nicely with the camera. Sony 50mm F1.4 is the lens that DPR uses for all Alpha studio shots.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sony_50_1p4_m15/

Post Thanks / Like

By multi-point do you mean the center weighted metering? I only see three metering modes, multi, center and spot.
    Sorry, i meant multi point focusing works better than wide area focusing from Axxx series. I need to seriously read before publishing, just as my English teacher said

Cheers,

N

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today I got to give the A mount adapter a whirl with the 16-35, 24-70, 70-300 and 24-105. I'm thrilled! I was looking at the NEX as a camera to put into my bag when I am out shooting the A900 and to see if if could really deliver as a backup that added no extra bulk to my bag. It passed the test with flying colors. It is also really fun to shoot with the kit lens as a walk around camera (it does beg for better glass).
    These shots are a combo of handheld and tripod. Obviously getting perfect focus is easier on the tripod which when using it with big Alpha lenses it will be most of the time. I am very impressed with the A to E adapter. The lenses are rock solid and the tripod foot absolutely does its job to lock things down tight. The fabulous LCD (better than the best of the m4/3) allows for very easy precise focus even if pretty bright light.
    To hand hold these lenses, I had my left hand under the lenses and adjusted the zoom and focus with that hand then used the right hand on the controls. This will take people some getting used to.

I beg Sony/Zeiss to make some good lenses for the NEX system.
    All jpegs with very little processing. Not all of the compositions are perfect and I didn't crop these just straightened a few. Have a look in some of the corners like the leaves on bottom left bench shot (crisp and sharp - I know the lens is further away from the sensor but just making sure) or the rope in the bottom right corner.

Last edited by Terry; 4th July 2010 at 23:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello !
    I read this interesting thread and thought I share some pictures from/with the NEX-5 + Adapter + 30mm f2,8 Macrolens with you.

Focussing works nice for normal shots. For Macro you need the magnifier on screen or a tripod (as always)

Have a nice day !
    Last edited by fotoingo; 21st October 2010 at 11:52.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fotoingo - Welcome to the forum these look great. How is the handstrap working out with the strap lug pointing the wrong way and further down on the camera? I'll have to check out the 30 macro. It seems pretty small.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Sony 30 macro looks gigantic in front of the NEX!

I would also recommend the Minolta 40/2 for compactness. My sample (I think it is typical) is not sharp wide open and is not as sharp as the Minolta 40/2 (Leica M mount).

One worthwhile possibility is the Minolta AF 28/2.8. It is compact (also inexpensive) and is a decent performer. Though, I am not sure how it will fare on the NEXs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, the last shot of the "Giant Dipper" at dusk is phenomenal!

(For folks that may not know, that is the famous wooden roller coaster at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I'm impressed with these shots. How do you think it will perform with Leica lenses less than 35 mm? If it does as well as the Epson RD 1 this is going to be a very popular camera.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some beautiful examples throughout this thread - thanks Terry.

It's a shame the lenses can't be engineered to a similar scale and quality - perhaps Zeiss will come to the rescue?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just received word from Jinfinance on eBay that the Leica adapter was ready so I have ordered one.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fotoingo - Welcome to the forum these look great. How is the handstrap working out with the strap lug pointing the wrong way and further down on the camera? I'll have to check out the 30 macro. It seems pretty small.
    Thank you.
    The handstrap works surprisingly well ! You just have to make the strap a bit longer than usual. For me it works very nice.

The 30mm is (together with the 50mm) the smallest Alpha Lens and since it is a more or less 50mm on the Nex I bought it.

I cant wait for the AF to work with the adapter. (via Firmwareupdate)

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The Sony 30 macro looks gigantic in front of the NEX!

I would also recommend the Minolta 40/2 for compactness. My sample (I think it is typical) is not sharp wide open and is not as sharp as the Minolta 40/2 (Leica M mount).

One worthwhile possibility is the Minolta AF 28/2.8. It is compact (also inexpensive) and is a decent performer. Though, I am not sure how it will fare on the NEXs.
    But the 30mm can be used with AF when the firmwareupdate is ready.
    Otherwise I would check your lenses too !

Here are some more pics. This time using the Kitzoomlens.
    Sorry for posting mainly macro shots. Other shots will follow (sooner or later)
    Last edited by fotoingo; 12th August 2010 at 13:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need some help. First, what metering mode are you all using, especially in high contrast but low light conditions.

Below are 6 shots. The first three taken of the sam object, same lighting, just changing metering modes. It is fairly well lit with a daylight florescent and light from the monitor all reflecting off the white paper. The end of the iPhone connector is the target. The second three shots are taken of a dark corner of my bookcase however, there is the white framed photos toward the edge of the scene that are brighter and reflecting light from outside. Again the three metering modes are used. Yesterday evening I had problems shooting in low diffuse evening light with bright areas in the image.

What do you all use and what do you recommend?
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fotoingo, how did you attach the strap to the bottom? Picture would help.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another interesting thing. I opened up the images in Bibble 5 Pro and took screen shots of the same multi pattern image in RAW and in JPG. There is a big difference.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am finding there is no comparison between the RAW files and the JPGs. The RAW files really show how bad the JPGs are in comparison. Download and try Bibble 5 Pro (trial version and see what I mean). The colors are more accurate as are the tones and shades.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,
    Are you sure you don't have the dynamic range optimization settings on?
    It is in the Brightness/color menu. That could account for the differences in your jpegs and raws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

You are right. I did have it on. I will have to retest and see if that was the issue. Thanks for the tip.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John, All such straps are old contraptions made for DSLRs. It screws onto the (bottom) tripod slot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talking Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

You can buy straps which attach to the tripod socket or you can "build" one yourself like I did
    Last edited by fotoingo; 5th July 2010 at 12:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I liked the way the Leica CL had both sets of lugs on one side and hung vertically rather than horizontally. I also liked the zip on soft leather cover that slid out of the way when you didn't need it but provided nice protection against minor bumps and scrapes.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well...I actually like the CL for the camera it is and even use to date.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not every pano works.... The two examples below are good examples when they don't work. This is pre-firmware update....I need to find a windows machine to the do the upgrade.
    Also, using adapted Zeiss lenses I was having a problem with the exposure on panos so you may need to use native e mount lenses.