Site Sponsors
Page 135 of 147 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,750 of 7315

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Hope so too Malina, although mine needed a 600 € repair of the AF unit a couple of month ago

Shot with the same combo as pictured in the last post on page 134 (A850 + CZ135/1.8)

A sea of bikes:

Strategy for finding your own bike back
    Last edited by pegelli; 19th May 2015 at 06:26.
    My Pics
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

P,

My a900 isn't worth 600 Euros, though I wish it was. I had to buy the battery grip to power the machine because the camera's electronics shut down at one of my son's first swim meets.

I would like to pick up the a77II but after Molina's review, I just don't know. I could use the extra reach and AF speed and tracking ability, but not at the loss of color.

Ah the ZA 135/1.8 - a real beauty, no?

Mikal

Post Thanks / Like

Agree Mikal, that ZA 135/1.8 is a wonderful lens. Every time it gets used it delivers.

Don't know about the A77ii, I didn't like what I saw in Malina's post but on the other hand I've seen many great (and colourful) pictures posted with it. I think flatter files "out of the box" are the price you pay for higher DR, but I also think that with the right raw converter workflow you should be able to get good results that are equal (not necesarily the same) to the A850/900 output. Fortunately I don't have to decide now but I can understand that with the state of your A900 it's getting closer to decision time. How about an A99 or an a7II (with LA-EA4 adapter)?

Post Thanks / Like

P, I am not really interested in an a99 or the a7II with the adapter because: 1) I need more reach than what my current camera body and lens can give me, and 2) the a7II might be fine for some sports but it is not too good for water polo. The a77II has the fastest AF around, which is something I can definitely use for water polo. My 70-200/2.8G is the first generation lens and therefore slower than the $3,000.00 newer model. That is a lot of money for a lens if I am not making money from my sports photography.

Things are a bit tight around the household so I will use the a900 until it croaks. I am thinking about putting up a website of my sports photos in the hopes that I can make a few bucks doing something that I enjoy. I know that sports photography is long hours and crap pay, unless one of doing portraits of the athletes in a studio or in their environment (but that to me is not sports photography). If necessary.......

Each new generation of cameras has a different output than the previous generation of cameras. If you ever lurked on the Leica forum, you would have seen the denizens bemoaning the new sensor in the M240 and how the colors are different than with the beloved M9 and M9-P.

Yup, the workflow and the camera settings are the key issues for color control in my estimation. Maybe Molina just needs to fiddle around with the settings so he can get the results he wants without too much post processing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a77 mkII

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Hope so too Malina, although mine needed a 600 repair of the AF unit a couple of month ago
    that's a pity and reminds that nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    I would like to pick up the a77II but after Molina's review, I just don't know. I could use the extra reach and AF speed and tracking ability, but not at the loss of color.
    Mikal, you'll love the continuous AF speed and accuracy with 70-200/2.8 G so much that the color may not be an issue for you. It's not like you bring a color checker to shoot sports and worry about its 100% accuracy.
    You don't see E-mount users complaining about color. Many did use Sony's CCD based cams and a850/900 prior to switching to NEX and A7, and they are happy with their results now. I've got replies from multiple a77 mk2 owners who use C1 for raw conversion and they are satisfied with color profiles the software offers.

Post Thanks / Like

Malina, thank you.

Mikal

Post Thanks / Like

Hummingbird Moth today

a77mk2 and 150-600mm Tamron
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

An oldie, anybody have an idea why the "viewfinder" has a blue glass/filter?

NEX6 + MC Rokkor 58/1.4 @ f2.8
    My Pics
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An oldie, anybody have an idea why the "viewfinder" has a blue glass?
    At the time when the films were only B&W I believe that the blue glass VF was used to attempt to remove the colour element to even out/remove colour differences for tone assessment of the scene.
    Ylem ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    At the time when the films were only B&W I believe that the blue glass VF was used to attempt to remove the colour element to even out/remove colour differences for tone assessment of the scene.
    With orthochromatic films, this is correct. This camera was built before pachromatic films became de rigueur.

In the panchromatic days, a green filter was often used rather than blue, because is was a more neutral rendering of the scene, relative to how the film renders various colors.

---Michael
    a900, a7r, FE 16-35, FE 70-200 Leica R lenses: 35 f/2, 50 f/2, 60 macro, Minolta 24mm, 35-70 f/4, Sony G 70-300

Post Thanks / Like

a6k with VST 50/f0.85 and 25f/0.85
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mango Aroma
    a850+85/1.4ZA @ f/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

South Point
    a850+28/1.8 @ f11

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots from last night's water polo practice. Shot with the a900 and Minolta 35/2. Cropped just a bit. Colors pretty much out of the box though I did cool the photos down a notch.

nightpractice by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

nightpractice2 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

^^ not surprised you had to cool these shots down a bit, my experience with AWB and tungsten light is that usually it's setting it way too yellow.

Nice atmosphere by the way, and the colours all look quite nice, both the blues in the water and sky combined with the warmer tones of the tiles, light and skin coulour

Some chimes I shot a few weeks ago

A850 + Helios 44-2 (58/2)
    My Pics
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Air Defence (D35) Destroyer at Fowey

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all packed and ready to get on the plane.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ nice bag

While most of the talk on the Sony forum is about the new a7RII let me show you some "old fashioned" A 850 shots

1: Walschaerts steam distribution

2: Departure
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

^^ nice bag

While most of the talk on the Sony forum is about the new a7RII let me show you some "old fashioned" A 850 shots
    That’s not that old Pieter - Here is some real vintage Sony nostalgia for you...DSC-R1
    Unfortunately with my usual typical rubbish processing from that period also (2006)...Yes that’s before GetDPI was even born and when Jack was just a young lad over on Rob Galbraith (with a few others here)
    (Actually my processing is just as lousy today )

PS. +1 nice leather bag Slingers
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 11th June 2015 at 15:41.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shot Barry, your eye was already pretty good then (sensors not)

Before they were called Sony the DSLR's were called Konica Minolta

Here's one from Venice in 2007, at that time 6MP was considered "huge"

My Pics
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I knew that...you cheated
    I will have to dig out my VERY old Minolta negs and get scanning...That's when Konica were just Konica and Minolta were Minolta...I think I have some shots of Venice from the 70's!
    Nice picture BTW...Cheers Barry
    Last edited by Barry Haines; 12th June 2015 at 00:03.
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

African Safari Decorations
    a850+28/1.8 @ f/4

Post Thanks / Like

Another oldie with the Sony DSC-R1 taken in the Dordogne in the Gardens of Eyerignac - Dordogne 2007
    As you say Pieter not many pixels in the early days...I would try anything to increase the number of pixels by fooling around like this one (Mirror imaging).
    Old processing just updated with a frame and then downsized...I guess I got lucky on this occasion as I managed to capture a ghost!

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

Taken around the back streets of Mutley (Nr Plymouth)
    NEX-5N + 35mm ZM Zeiss Biogon

Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Great shot of the Dordogne Barry and a great way to increase resolution on older sensors. I think the different coloured doors as well as the ghost are a nice touch to an idea that was already pretty good in the base case. The Pizza boy is quite funny, especially since that counter to normal form his mustache is not drawn on, but a genuine part of the original picture.

I was in the Dordogne last weekend, not for a very fun reason (the burial of my uncle) but I managed to take a walk through Lalinde between the different happenings and take a few shots of those typical scenes you can only find in rural France.

Here's the first, a French balcony:

NEX6 + Zuiko 85/2
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Pieter sorry to hear about your uncle...I assumed wrongly that you was going on vacation.
    We have had a discussion before about Lalinde in the Dordogne it's a lovely area for sure, a shame that it wasn't for a more happier occasion your visit.
    Thank you for your kind words...The variety of doors, windows and shutters seem almost infinite to photograph in the Dordogne you managed to find an excellent more interesting one...Cheers Barry
    Flickr Photostream
    Barry Haines

Post Thanks / Like

A little early summer fun. This bridge is about a mile from my house, and I pass it several times a day. Ten days ago was the first time I had a chance to shoot the jumpers, without the police being around to chase them away. Gear: Sony a900 and Minolta 35/2. The photos are cropped out of necessity. Anything longer than 35 would have prevented me from following the jumpers from when they jumped until when they landed. Question: is there software out there that would have let me stitch (merge) all of the photos into one so I would be able to see the jump sequence from the initial jump to the landing in one frame, sort of like on a GoPro? In the second photo the kid jumped over the railing and then into the water. I want that in one photo if possible.

Unfortunately, I was limited in where I could stand while taking the photos because of where the security fence is, and because I was not about to get into the water without a waterproof housing on my camera. I think I can stand in a different area but I would need a 24mm to get what I need.

Flip4- by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

RailJump7 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to take up bandwidth but here are the first 4 shots of the rail jumper. I want to be able to get these into one frame, if you know what I mean. I am happy to delete these if I can get an answer to my question. Thanks in advance.

RailJump1 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

RailJump2 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

RailJump3 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

RailJump4 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

A little early summer fun. This bridge is about a mile from my house, and I pass it several times a day. Ten days ago was the first time I had a chance to shoot the jumpers, without the police being around to chase them away. Gear: Sony a900 and Minolta 35/2. The photos are cropped out of necessity. Anything longer than 35 would have prevented me from following the jumpers from when they jumped until when they landed. Question: is there software out there that would have let me stitch (merge) all of the photos into one so I would be able to see the jump sequence from the initial jump to the landing in one frame, sort of like on a GoPro? In the second photo the kid jumped over the railing and then into the water. I want that in one photo if possible.

Unfortunately, I was limited in where I could stand while taking the photos because of where the security fence is, and because I was not about to get into the water without a waterproof housing on my camera. I think I can stand in a different area but I would need a 24mm to get what I need.
    Hi Mikal, if you have Photoshop I suspect you could get what you are after by simply making a layer and erasing all that is unnecessary on the top layer around the jumper, then move the jumper around so he aligns with the original background (zoom in and turn the layer on and off to check alignment)...Best to choose lets say RailJump3 (as the background) and RailJump7 (as the top layer) as they both have some separation within the jump itself, otherwise it could get a bit messy if the jumper is overlapping himself (to many arms and legs if you get my drift) that's only if you decide to use several layers I suspect...Once you are happy with the alignment flatten the image off and save afresh...Hope that helps...Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots from last night's water polo practice. Shot with the a900 and Minolta 35/2. Cropped just a bit. Colors pretty much out of the box though I did cool the photos down a notch.
    Interesting shots Mikal, I played water polo there since 1998, before the pool was renovated :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Rhern, a few for you from last night. #19 is my 14 yr old.

NightWP1 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

NightWP2 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

NightWP3 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

On the way back from Lalinde we saw this little roadside chapel. Although it has seen better days the character is still there in spades

"Notre Dame de la Route Protegez Nous"

All 3 NEX6 + Nokton 35/1.2 II
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Hit respond before I could give the details: Sony a900 with mighty ZA 135/1.8. I threw a bit of light on the photos because the shots were taken at close to 9 pm. The shot in the middle was a blocked shot and backlit.

Post Thanks / Like

Hit respond before I could give the details: Sony a900 with mighty ZA 135/1.8. I threw a bit of light on the photos because the shots were taken at close to 9 pm. The shot in the middle was a blocked shot and backlit.
    Mikal, in the right/lower corner of your post is an "EDIT" button, which allows you to make changes or add more info to your first submission.

Post Thanks / Like

P, thank you. I was more worried about keeping the horizons straight.
    Last edited by MikalWGrass; 17th June 2015 at 11:34.

Post Thanks / Like

P, thank you. I was more worried about keeping the horizons straight.
    no complaints there Mikal, also your sensor looks clean

Post Thanks / Like

The harsh life just behind the sea-shore

NEX6 + E10-18/4
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Behind the books

Post Thanks / Like

A few "sleepers" on my hard drive from a visit to the St Rumbold's Cathedral in Mechelen more than a year ago

1: Interior

2: Kneeling

3: Statue

All 3 NEX6 + E20/2.8
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

my new CV15mm mk3 just arrived. let's hope the weather holds up in the UK this weekend

Name:  _DSC5434-2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  253.4 KB

A6000 + FE 35mm F2.8
    Last edited by UHDR; 26th June 2015 at 08:46.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Pink Room
    a850+28mm @ f/2
    Lens astigmatism blends in pretty well with the vintage scene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Clergy "Tea" Time
    a850+28mm @ f/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Drawing Room, Flagler Museum.
    a850+28mm @ f/1.8. No distortion correction has been applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Macintosh, 1984
    a850+28mm @ f/1.8, iso6400

Post Thanks / Like

Exploding Hydrangea

A850 + beercan (zoomed from 70 to 210 during the exposure)
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Stork 007 "Licensed to kill"

A700 + Minolta 80-200/2.8 HS + Kenko pro 300 1.4x converter
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Robin

A850 + Min 200/2.8 HS + Sony APO 1.4x
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how few people post here these days

Agapanthus in the rain

A850 + Sigma 180/3.5 telemacro
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Just look at it as the quiet before the storm... Give it 3 weeks and a7rII posts will fill the Sony page everyday

I can see it now I don't like this, best ----- ever made, wish it had ------, they should of done this, gonna get this or that, ..... Etc

From what I am seeing on pre orders this a7rII introduction will be of epic proportions especially from other manufacturer users testing these waters. I am getting my drink and popcorn ready as this is gonna be a big time show on all the various Photography forums. Think about it when have we seen the Sony online store run out of bodies to pre order in the first few hours and stop taking pre orders again until just the other day? It's gonna be a wild ride very shortly ;-)
    Last edited by Jim DE; 15th July 2015 at 07:56.