The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikalWGrass

re: Fun With Sony _____

Gulliver Water Polo. Shot yesterday with the Sony a900 and Sony 70-200/2.8 G. I used the 1.4x some yesterday but I don't know which shots here I used it on. Little kids are practicing with the big kids now. The young lady shooting the ball is on the first county miami dade team. The little boy is my son Ivan - one photo was taken while he was running through a rain storm, and the other photo was taken from about 30 meters away and then cropped.

GWP by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp-3 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp-9ivan6 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp-4ivan2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp-6 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp-7ivan4 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

MikalWGrass

Hate to bore you ladies and gents with the same old stuff, but it is summer and water polo practice is in high gear. Sony a900 w/ Sony 70-200/2.8 G. Some shot with the 1.4x extender, which I believe tends to make the images a bit soft. Some of the shots were shot from at least 35-40 meters from one of the balconies above the pool, while others were shot from the deck. Not Pulitzer material but.....:salute:

gwp6513 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp6513-2 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp6513-3 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

gwp6513-4 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

MikalWGrass

My son Ivan getting out of the pool after water polo. Shot with the a900 and Minolta 35/2 which Show Performance grudgingly sold.

For you purists, yes, the photo was cropped a bit. :poke:

Minolta35 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

fultonpics

mike,

if you can gets your hands on a 300 2.8, try that for water polo. i shot the olympic teams using a 400 and it worked well but tight. the 70-200 is a tough one to use.

MikalWGrass

fulton, i have a 1.4x extender for the 70-200/2.8 but I think it softens the photos too much. I would love the opportunity to shoot the Olympic team in action but with kids ranging from 12 down to 6 it would be tough, if I could get access.

Do you have any recommendations other than using a slower lens in a mount? I can't switch systems.

I am an attorney by day who just happens to be able to shoot his son's practices and games. I love it. It is far more photo friendly than swimming.

pegelli

Sometimes you hear complaints that the Sony stores don't stock up on a lot of gear and then usually not the top end. Well, last week I found not so in Shanghai. They now have a shop on Nanjing road which basically has all cameras on display and ready to be tested. Several A99's (with CZ 24-70 and 70-200), A77's, 5 and 3 series. Also a good collection with RX1's, RX 100's, all the NEX's with different lenses etc. etc. All with loaded batteries and cards and then a big model display in the middle you can shoot. Prices were in the same order of magnitude as here in Europe. I wish they had something like this closer to home.

Here's some impressions from this impressive shop:

All NEX6 + E16-50PZ

MikalWGrass

Mark, lovely shot and great colors. My ZA 85/1.4 is sitting in bubble wrap on the back seat of my car after it fell off of the a900 and bounced 2x on the sidewalk.

Glad to see someone else is still using the 850/900. Please post more.

fotografz

Mark, lovely shot and great colors. My ZA 85/1.4 is sitting in bubble wrap on the back seat of my car after it fell off of the a900 and bounced 2x on the sidewalk.

On the contrary ... I'm still shooting the occasional wedding with the A900 and A99.

Here are a few from the last one we did on June 21st. It was a "Wicken" ceremony, so I got into the spirit of the day, and did a couple of conceptual images.

Damned Dragon almost fried my camera bag ... the groom rescued his Princess Bride ... but knew better than to bring a sword to do a fire extinguisher's job ;)

The two color candid portraits were shot with the A900 ... without looking at the exif info, can you guess which lens was used? :rolleyes:

The pano was with the A99 ... ZA16-35 @ 16mm ISO 3200 ... lots of fun.

- Marc

Mark K

I gave my 850 to my cousin..so exactly in the same situation ...and I hope I can skip a99 to wait for next FF camera. This one was shot last year...I really miss my ZA lenses

Mark K

Marc: thank you for posting....I have sit tight and keep locking my A mount lenses up till the next body comes...

fotografz

Marc: thank you for posting....I have sit tight and keep locking my A mount lenses up till the next body comes...
I've found that the A900 and A99 compliment one another quite nicely. Files are very similar, except the A99 is maybe a stop better in ISO performance.

There are two things I don't like about the A99 ... the review situation where you have to shut off both the Viewfinder and LCD display ... and some smearing/streaking when in low light and the subject is moving.

Other than that it is a great camera ... the articulated LCD is very helpful (you have to get used to it so you know which way to move the camera); The Pano function is also quite good and I used it a number of times when even a 16mm wouldn't work without horrible distortion.

So, when an optical viewfinder is the better solution, I just grab the A900.

- Marc

MikalWGrass

Some pics from July 4 using the a900 and Minolta 35/2. Shot at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. I don't like to take pics of the fireworks but I enjoy taking pics of my kids watching them. The last photo was taken while we were waiting to cross the street in a driving rain storm. It was shot at 1/30 at f/11 and 6400. I was trying to protect the camera from the rain so the settings were off. The police office directing traffic had us wait in the rain while he let cars pass. :wtf:

Fireworks by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Fireworks-5 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Fireworks-6 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Fireworks-7 by MikalWGrass, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.