Page 21 of 147 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 7319

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    MPK2010 - Oh he has plenty of lenses
    Uh-oh. Well then Jono I suppose I would say ... well the argument would be ... that is, ... actually at the moment I can't think of a reason not to buy it, but I am sure one of the more experienced forum members can think of something.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono -
    What's not to love?
    Yes, yes, yes, very pretty

MPK2010 - Oh he has plenty of lenses

Quote Originally Posted by MPK2010 View Post
    Uh-oh. Well then Jono I suppose I would say ... well the argument would be ... that is, ... actually at the moment I can't think of a reason not to buy it, but I am sure one of the more experienced forum members can think of something.
    To be honest, I wouldn't be buying it primarily to use with M lenses, but it would make such a sweet little package with the 35 summarit. Terry is right, I do have 'others' . . . 28 'cron, 35 'lux, 50 'lux, 75 'cron, 90 elmarit, WATE and MATE to be exact but most of them would still be used on the M9.

However, I can think of 3 really good reasons not to buy it;

1. I've got too many cameras (I also have an A900 and EP2)
    2. the kit lens starts at 28mm and has a lot of distortion
    3. Aperture doesn't support the RAW files.

If I were being honest with myself I'd have to say that it's only 3 which is really having an effect!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't worry Jono - I'm just having fun at your expense

Aperture is an important part. I really want to have a go at the RAW files from the camera and am getting impatient for the ACR/LR support and hope there is an update very soon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't worry Jono - I'm just having fun at your expense

Aperture is an important part. I really want to have a go at the RAW files from the camera and am getting impatient for the ACR/LR support and hope there is an update very soon.
    No worries Terry - please feel free to use me for any kind of fun (everybody around here does that too!)

More seriously, the number of times I've fiddlearsed about with cracks and scams to make RAW files from new cameras work in Aperture I really don't want to do it again!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

I'm anxious to see what you are finding with the wider lenses like 24 mm and 28 mm lenses as I am considering getting a used CV in those FL to give me an effective 35 to 45 mm field of view.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Terry,

I'm anxious to see what you are finding with the wider lenses like 24 mm and 28 mm lenses as I am considering getting a used CV in those FL to give me an effective 35 to 45 mm field of view.
    John,
    I don't have anything worth it for testing. I have a CV28 but it is f3.5 and I have the 21 elmarit which is a multi-thousand dollar lens. Whether or not a lens works seems very lens design dependent so the 28 I have can't be used to see if the faster 28 is worthwhile. Before I buy any new lenses I'm going to wait for photokina annoncements.

Post Thanks / Like

NEX5 + 18-55mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hot - these look great. Raw or Jpeg? Processing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    3. Aperture doesn't support the RAW files.

If I were being honest with myself I'd have to say that it's only 3 which is really having an effect!
    Ah, that one may keep you in the clear for quite a while. I remember an Aperture update wait that lasted long enough for me to try Lightroom and get used to it in the meantime and that was that. Of course, I was new to both, had no strong preference, and didn't happen to have an M9 and collection of the world's greatest lenses to tide me over while I waited.

Agree with Terry about looking towards Photokina. I am hopeful that there will be some E-mount lens announcements, although I don't know if that's 50/50 or what.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Terry,

Hi John
    I would have thought that MPK2010's results with the 35 summarit and CV lenses, together with m4/3 experience would suggest that anything as wide as 28 (let alone 24) was going to be questionable at best. All that angled microlens stuff done by kodak/leica surely wasn't for nothing!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool, Hot -they look fine - nice soft bokeh as well.

Ah, that one may actually keep you in the clear for quite a while. I remember an Aperture update wait that lasted long enough for me to try Lightroom and get used to it in the meantime and that was that. Of course, I was new, had no strong preference between the two, and didn't happen to have an M9 and collection of the world's greatest lenses to tide me over while I waited.
    I've been there, and nearly switched twice, however, they have been better at updates as of late, and a recent period using lightroom 3 instead proved to me very conclusively that I preferred Aperture, even without the issue of converting a 50,000 image library!

Certainly, a new secondary camera is not a good enough reason!

Agree with Terry about looking towards Photokina. I am hopeful that there will be some E-mount lens announcements, although I don't know if that's 50/50 or what.
    I really hope so. sony are such an odd company; they bring out an excellent sensibly priced FF camera (A900), and then completely fail to capitalise on it by bringing out enough lenses! (although there is everything I need) Maybe it'll be different this time.

a better quality zoom starting at 24mm would certainly do the business for me.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can tell you for sure you won't be using the 21 elmarit on the NEX. Color is fine....smears towards the edges and the kit lens beats it. I can post pictures but it is hardly worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    a better quality zoom starting at 24mm would certainly do the business for me.
    Agree with that, in fact I'd just as happily take a wide prime with an image signature that more resembles one of the ZM primes than the current NEX pancake. As far as the wide-angle M-mounts, I've read that the results may actually vary from lens to lens, but I'm sure others here can speak more knowledgeably to that than I can.

In the meantime, I think I should be fine with using only 1 or 2 lenses and swapping less frequently than with m43. Not sure yet if the NEX dustbuster is quite on par with m43; in fairness it still seems quite good, I've only seen dust once so far, but then I've never once seen dust on an m43 sensor in over a year of using several.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot - these look great. Raw or Jpeg? Processing?
    out of camera, freehand, no raw, no postprocessing - I hate both :-)
    A good camera makes good pictures - raw/postprocessing = waste of lifetime!
    Only using Irfanview - for resizing.

If I want to manipulate, then I become a painter.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my new short article on HDR with the NEX cameras:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_...3_5/index.html
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This morning in the fog I tried shooting the 21 elmarit lens and wasn't happy. I had another go with the lens after the fog lifted and it wasn't as bad. Wide open I still need to use an ND filter. You can see the color change on the edges. To take this shot I need to hold the camera out a window and I should be steady at these shutter speeds it would be nice to set this up on a tripod. I did the same with the 18-55 kit (f11 - can redo it) and the 16-35 Zeiss. I can't open the windows enough to do this on a tripod and don't feel like going out as I'm a bit sick.

If anyone wants files happy to send.

Kit lens

21 Elmarit - look at the magenta in the edges.

16-35 alpha mount Zeiss

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Here is my new short article on HDR with the NEX cameras:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_...3_5/index.html
    Just read through it. That is quite useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Base image shot with NEX-5 and Zeiss 35mm

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I can't remember for sure but it seems that I recall reading that the M9 shows a similar color-shift toward the edges with the 21. There are several lenses on the M9 that exhibit a color shift and even with lens coding it showed up. If my recollection is correct, then one can't expect more from the NEX that lacks the Kodak sensor and micro lenses. I would like to see a reasonably fast 24 or 28 that works well enough for every day use. The 40 works great except for the effective 60 mm field of view.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Sony is about to release an alpha mount Zeiss 24 f2. No clue of size or price.

http://sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-good-...-next-tuesday/

Post Thanks / Like

QUOTE=barjohn;231739]I would like to see a reasonably fast 24 or 28 that works well enough for every day use. The 40 works great except for the effective 60 mm field of view.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered the Minolta Rokkor 28/2 which they made for the CLE? The color signature should fit in pretty well with your 40/2, it's tiny and its notorious "dreaded white spot disease" can be permanently cured by at least one repairman, John Van Stelten. (His shop is near Fort Colllins, Colorado. You could google him or just phone him at (303) 665-6640.)

Those spots are caused by crystals forming in the black anti-reflective paint inside the lens barrel, which leach out (probably after exposure to high heat) and are deposited on the lens element. He takes the lens apart (which is, apparently, rather labor intensive) removes the old paint, repaints the barrel with paint that won't ever produce such spots and you're good to go. It's not inexpensive, but lenses that already have the problem should be discounted commensurately and I found the package doable.

[One warning: The longer those spots remain untreated on the lens, the larger they grow and the more likely it is that they could etch the glass permanently. That's not a problem with the earlier, tinier, stages of the condition, though.]

He's a good workman, excellent to deal with and did a great job for me in January. Unfortunately, I was using it on an RD1 and, though the image quality was exquisite, my focusing ability was not, and I sold the whole outfit a few months later. If I found that the NEX would enable me to use manual focus again, however (and if my Contax G 45/2 didn't work out with the NEX) the 28/2 Rokkor would definitely be on the shortest of my short lists!

It's a real gem!

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

My Apologies! The Minolta Rokkor-M mount lens I was extolling in the previous post is NOT a 28/2 but a 28/2.8! So it really doesn't meet your need for speed, barjohn, does it? (It's still a stellar lens in all those other respects, though....)

Selective Wishful Thinking Memory Loss strikes again perhaps i need to stop doing this sort of thing after midnight"

Back to bed,

Irenaeus

Razii

Well Sony is about to release an alpha mount Zeiss 24 f2. No clue of size or price.

http://sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-good-...-next-tuesday/
    I will be really surprised if it's less than $1000

As for size, i would guess about twice the size of Sony 50mm F1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm familiar with the Rokkor 28/2.8 and its infamous white spots. I haven't seen many for sale in some time. Probably for that reason. It is good to know it can be fixed but of course if the total price takes it into the used Leica 28 price range it wouldn't make sense.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

My total cost for an otherwise excellent spotted lens and repair was $500 plus shipping.

Yes, I've wondered why there haven't been many on the market, too. It may, indeed, be that people have given up on getting their investments back on the bad ones.

It may also be that they like what they're getting from their very good ones.

Happy hunting,

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a cle kit.

Post Thanks / Like

I know from nothing about this particular item, but here's a CLE in Singapore on rff:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot.../23209/cat/all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >I find the out-of-camera HDR pictures a bit flat.

That is fine for B&W. Much easier to make images less flat than the other way round.

Uwe, your B&W images are amazing! This is exactly the kind of tonality I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get for years. Can you comment on your process for getting these gorgeous B&W images? I looked at your B&W Resolver script, but the results look different. Any help in this area, or better yet, a new DOP script, would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some more pictures I shot with the Contax G 45mm f2 and the 90mm f2,8.
    Most of the shots were taken wide open.

Hopefully I will receive the 35mm f2 in 2 days too. Im really curious how it will perform because it will replace the 28mm which is no good on the NEX
    ( because of the rounded glas element at the end of the lens ? )

The 45 and 90mm are absolutely brilliant !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I look forward to hearing about your results with the 35mm G, fotoingo. I have a feeling that lens will be my standard lens when NEX arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

how easy is manual focusing on contax G lenses?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fedex delivered my Contax adapter today. The lens I bought came last week and was absolutely pristine. It is hard to believe it was ever used (I would venture a guess that it really hasn't been used).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Uwe, your B&W images are amazing! This is exactly the kind of tonality I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get for years. Can you comment on your process for getting these gorgeous B&W images? I looked at your B&W Resolver script, but the results look different. Any help in this area, or better yet, a new DOP script, would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill
    I think this one was shot as in Camera HDR and converted in Lightroom to B&W. The results of the B&W Resolver can be tweaked in many ways.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fedex delivered my Contax adapter today. The lens I bought came last week and was absolutely pristine. It is hard to believe it was ever used (I would venture a guess that it really hasn't been used).
    Great! I can't wait to hear a report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I look forward to hearing about your results with the 35mm G, fotoingo. I have a feeling that lens will be my standard lens when NEX arrives.
    Yeah, I hope it will not let me down when it comes to image quality. (The internet says it is the "black sheep" of the G-Line but I read that means it is still much better than most 35mm primes)
    Then it will be my "standard 50mm" too. f2 is not f1,8 or f1,4 but nontheless nice (and one stop better than the -no good on the NEX- 28mm f2,8.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    how easy is manual focusing on contax G lenses?
    Really easy The screen is sooo crisp and with the magnification turned on (via the lower button next to the display) the focussing is a real joy.

Nice. I wish you much fun using it.
    My lenses (or better the whole kit (G1 + flash + bag + 28mm+45mm+90mm) looked pristine too. I guess we both were really lucky.
    Which lense/s do you own or will you use ?
    Im looking forward to see some of your pictures soon

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ingo those are fantastic photos.

The 35/2 Contax G Planar is very under rated, it is my favorite adapted lens on micro 4/3 and I'm sure it will be also on NEX. It focuses closer than Leica RF lenses, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Ingo those are fantastic photos.

The 35/2 Contax G Planar is very under rated, it is my favorite adapted lens on micro 4/3 and I'm sure it will be also on NEX. It focuses closer than Leica RF lenses, too.
    Thank you ! Those lenses make pics look better with no afford, haha.
    I love the bokeh/colours.

I would love to see some pics taken with the 35mm from you.
    Maybe you got a link for me or something ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK Here is my standard test scene....weather not as nice.
    It is a pretty far distance across the bay. It seems to be a keeper.
    For some reason the forum software keeps trying to make the crops 1200 pixels when I upload no matter which method. PM me and I will send the full files.

f2

f8

Attachment 33442

Attachment 33441

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two close ups one without much in the background the other with a really complex background closer to the subject both at f2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And now for your porn

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sold! Everything looks good to me. I'm cleaning my ZA 24-70 for sale as we speak. BTW, how is the focusing mechanism on that adapter, Terry?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sold! Everything looks good to me. I'm cleaning my ZA 24-70 for sale as we speak. BTW, how is the focusing mechanism on that adapter, Terry?
    Because it sticks out a bit it is really easy to focus.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My little brain is whirling away here but dang these lenses already were made to AF. If there is some way that Sony could take the design and throw an E mount on it with AF they would have a complete goldmine. I'm perfectly happy with the aperture on the lens and I'm sure others that would buy these for the NEX cameras wouldn't mind either. How amazing would that be! Voila! the premium lens lineup is completely solved (at least at 35, 45, 90).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, AF with these lenses would be incredible. Is the manual focusing action smooth with the adapter?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little hard to describe it is smooth but feels a bit bumpy compared to my 50 lux. You can go way past infinity. I guess since I'm in live view it doesn't bother me. Robert (monza) has been using the Contax on m4/3 for quite a while and I know he's got an adapter coming so hopefully he can chime in here. I just like the way it feels and the size and the IQ and the bokeh and......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm on board. That planar looks to be the ticket for the 35mm focal length. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

fotoingo: those shots are spectacular. contax g is looking very promising.

here are a few more shots from pen f 42mm f/1.2, all wide open again:

sooner or later i'll stop the lens down and take a landscape shot with it. first i need to find myself some landscape though.

espressogeek

I like the way that 42 draws when shot wide open. Bring back the swirl. :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You'll regret it . . .I've been using mine today!
    Shot at f4 . . . Caspar says PLEASE keep it:

Last edited by jonoslack; 27th July 2010 at 15:01.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And now for your porn
    Wonderful Terry - and lovely shots too . . . I'm still sobbing that i sold my father's complete set of Contax G lenses a couple of years ago to a penniless student for a song

Just this guy you know