The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Fun With Sony _____

Bob, it's the Minolta RS, which I've had since about 1994. Minimal PP on all pics, a touch of clarity & vibrance and some minor curve-pulling. The only one that needed real work was the one with the people, there was a bit of flare on the guy's left shoulder which easily succumbed to the exposure brush.

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

ecsh

Beautiful Dave. I will have to use my 20 more, which has been sleeping a long time in the bottom of the bag.

Mark K

Bob, it's the Minolta RS, which I've had since about 1994. Minimal PP on all pics, a touch of clarity & vibrance and some minor curve-pulling. The only one that needed real work was the one with the people, there was a bit of flare on the guy's left shoulder which easily succumbed to the exposure brush.

Thanks for the nice comments. :)
Mark, that is a fabulous shot - print and hang it.

Is it a crop?
Bob and Tex, thanks for your nice words
Because of luggage weight, I always use Minolta 70-210/4 and found it very good for travelling.
Those seagulls got very close so I did not crop
I used faster UDMA cards this time and a850 is very capable of capturing the moments

Thanks for the nice comments, all.

Mark, I used a Uniphot Tiltall tripod. Also MLU with about a 3-sec. wait between lifting the mirror and firing the shutter. Most importantly, with the moon you have to decide that you know better than what the camera meter is telling you. Most of what the meter sees is night sky but the subject is in daylight. :) This shot is exposed at about a stop less than what the "Sunny 16" rule would imply. Rules of thumb for lunar shots vary depending on who you are talking to but generally you want a pretty high shutter speed.

Also, I love that first cat pic... Purrr-fect! :clap::clap:

Braeside

The Knave, Dunfermline Abbey.

The Sony 16mm/2.8 again, A900, a blend of 3 exposures.

Last edited:

Wow, that Dave Anderson guy sure posts some nice pics! :D

Great stuff, David. I had my 16 along over the weekend but was late to the mountain and didn't get around to using it. Your shots above are inspiring me to make a point of using it!

Braeside

Thanks Dave! Yes, I like the fisheye a lot, it seems very sharp and flare resistant, hardly any spots on that shot into the sun.

I am hoping for some decent Aurora one day.

An HDR attempt on one of the four panos I shot. Still some kinks in the process but I think I'm getting somewhere. :) I also spent quite a bit of time with the first pic in post #399 but never managed a better result than the nominal exposure -- more shadow/highlight detail but less "pop".

ISO 250, (f/8 1/30) (f/8 1/125) (f/8 1/500)

ecsh

An HDR attempt on one of the four panos I shot. Still some kinks in the process but I think I'm getting somewhere. :) I also spent quite a bit of time with the first pic in post #399 but never managed a better result than the nominal exposure -- more shadow/highlight detail but less "pop".

ISO 250, (f/8 1/30) (f/8 1/125) (f/8 1/500)
Nice Dave. It has that "Middle Earth" look from Lord of the Ring:)

I know, I know, JT... it's bugging me too. :D Same goes for the black and yellow-taped pipes and stake.

Two reasons I haven't bothered with it:

1) I'm not happy with the more general PP/tones/etc. yet and haven't quite given up on getting a good HDR render. One problem I'm having with both Photomatix and HDRPS is that the preset that I create from the settings used on the sun part of the image somehow freaks out and lightens all image tomes in the frames with the structure in it. Here's a quick example, you can see where I did a very quick and very dirty edit in the pic above to cover the problem up. :rolleyes:

2) I'm a lazy b*st*rd and I figure that by the time I get the HDR worked out I'll be able to use this image as a testing ground for content-aware fill. :grin:

BTW, in case you haven't seen it there is a newer video demo of that here. ;)

Last edited:

dbogdan

Thanks Dave,

That video demo was a super way to start out my day! :thumbup:

davidbogdan

Status
Not open for further replies.