Site Sponsors
Page 24 of 147 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 124 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 7311

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I promised my better half that I would wait to buy it until after my Zeiss zoom sold. It's over on dyxum, but not moving. Time for eBay.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I promised my better half that I would wait to buy it until after my Zeiss zoom sold. It's over on dyxum, but not moving. Time for eBay.
    It's always the best option . . . . which zoom by the way?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    It's always the best option . . . . which zoom by the way?
    I am guessing 24-70 f/2.8, since he has talked more than once of rarely, if ever, using it.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, ZA 24-70. I've owned it since Feb. of '08. I used it a considerable amount in the studio the first year or so, but it's been in the closet for the past year, since I don't do much studio work anymore. Zooms don't get much better, IMO.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of the NEX OVF in case anyone wants to see, it's quite nice, very little distortion, and bright frames.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In fact, I don't believe I've used the zoom since I went to Hawaii last year.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8331

Unfortunately, the links changed for all of those pics, but here are a few of them:
    A900+ZA 24-70

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And at the time I thought that Hawaii series was excellent. The top boat shot is just as awesome this year as it was when I saw it last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Terry. You're too kind.

Monza, thanks for the OVF preview. Is it possible to remove the VF part from the part that attaches to the camera? It looks like it just slides in.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately no, it's all one piece. It would be a very nice 24mm viewfinder for RF use if it had a regular foot on it...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting everybody. This is definitely an interesting thread with some marvelous photos. I'll probably buy an EVIL/MILC/SLD/whatever acronym camera later this year and let's say that NEX-5 is very close to the top of the list. (If only Pentax would bring a camera with proper support for my DA ltd lenses...).

However, I'd like to ask about how does the in-camera HDR work in practice? I know with some cameras you bracket three different exposures and usually have to use a tripod to get decent results. Is that the same with NEX or have they developed something more clever?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Here is a pic of the NEX OVF in case anyone wants to see, it's quite nice, very little distortion, and bright frames.

Nice, will there be an EVF as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Nice, will there be an EVF as well?
    There is a rumor that an EVF is very shortly on the way, which wil clip onto the spot where the flash currently attaches. The downside being that you will not be able to use both the flash and the EVF at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From a recent trip. Most were people photos but here are a few I can post. Not the most scintillating shots but I printed a few out for fun on 13x19 GFS and they look good. NEX + Summarit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPK2010 View Post
    From a recent trip. Most were people photos but here are a few I can post. Not the most scintillating shots but I printed a few out for fun on 13x19 GFS and they look good. NEX + Summarit.
    Looks good at such web display sizes. How were the corners/edges at full magnification ? Any image degradations ?

Post Thanks / Like

GFS = Ilford Gold Fiber Silk I assume?
    Thank you for posting
    am

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Looks good at such web display sizes. How were the corners/edges at full magnification ? Any image degradations ?
    After the results I described in the "Available Adapters for NEX3/5" thread a couple weeks ago I've settled into using the Summarit at 5.6 unless I've got a close subject and I'm deliberately going for narrow DOF, in which case I shoot around 2.5/2.8 (like the second shot). At 5.6 the corners are fine; a little softer than the center but not smeared. Wide open with a subject at middle- (rather than close-) focus distance I sometimes get odd bokeh towards the edges; but I have not been using the combination of mid-distance focus and wide-open much. Even at 5.6, I prefer the color and rendering of the Summarit to the kit lens, although it's just a matter of taste and the kit lens gives great results at a lot of focal length/aperture combinations, as I noticed when I took a look at some RAW files.

FWIW, on the 50 Summicron things are good across the board, although f/2 seems a bit flatter than it should be; flatness is gone at 2.5 and up.
    Last edited by MPK2010; 5th August 2010 at 07:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by arashm View Post
    GFS = Ilford Gold Fiber Silk I assume?
    Exactly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds good. I can certainly live with good corners at f5.6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds good. I can certainly live with good corners at f5.6.
    I'm out of town again but if the Summarit makes you or anyone else's final short list for the NEX, I'm happy to send people a few RAWs to check it out more closely. Looks like there are a few other good 35mm contenders and Photokina coming up, but I'm satisfied for now.

Post Thanks / Like

processed my first shots with apple's aperture and the sensor looks very impressive. it seems like i can get about 2 stops of highlight recovery and the high iso looks very good. i would have no problem printing large with iso 1600 (even high contrast shadowing shots) and 3200 should look very good for 8x10. most of my shots have been of people but here are couple free of faces.

iso 1250 with the pen f 42mm f/1.2 don't remember the aperture:

base iso with the canon FL 55mm f/1.2 at f/2:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPK2010 View Post
    After the results I described in the "Available Adapters for NEX3/5" thread a couple weeks ago I've settled into using the Summarit at 5.6 unless I've got a close subject and I'm deliberately going for narrow DOF, in which case I shoot around 2.5/2.8 (like the second shot).....
    Great ! Thanks for the feedback.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    processed my first shots with apple's aperture and the sensor looks very impressive. it seems like i can get about 2 stops of highlight recovery and the high iso looks very good. i would have no problem printing large with iso 1600 (even high contrast shadowing shots) and 3200 should look very good for 8x10. most of my shots have been of people but here are couple free of faces.
    I'm doomed

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Sebboh,
    Thanks! Pls. post more shots processed through Aperture.
    Although hard to tell with the lighting in these shots but it looks like all the fine detail smearing that I have been seeing done by the camera jpeg engine is gone and looks much better. Can you post an image taken with RAW and Jpeg and show the difference between the two?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    Sebboh,
    Although hard to tell with the lighting in these shots but it looks like all the fine detail smearing that I have been seeing done by the camera jpeg engine is gone and looks much better. Can you post an image taken with RAW and Jpeg and show the difference between the two?
    yes, fine detail at 100% is definitely much better using aperture than sooc jpegs. i only have those two pictures processed in aperture up now (and they are websized). i will try to do a comparison including 100% crops with one of my old shots (i'm only shooting raw now) when i get home.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I wonder if any NEX user noticed my HDR question? Is the in-camera HDR done the usual way with bracketing so that in practice a tripod is a must?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Thanks for posting everybody. This is definitely an interesting thread with some marvelous photos. I'll probably buy an EVIL/MILC/SLD/whatever acronym camera later this year and let's say that NEX-5 is very close to the top of the list. (If only Pentax would bring a camera with proper support for my DA ltd lenses...).

However, I'd like to ask about how does the in-camera HDR work in practice? I know with some cameras you bracket three different exposures and usually have to use a tripod to get decent results. Is that the same with NEX or have they developed something more clever?

Post Thanks / Like

No, it is handheld. The camera shoots at 7 fps, so unless there's significant movement, it works without a tripod.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Simon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Hi. I wonder if any NEX user noticed my HDR question? Is the in-camera HDR done the usual way with bracketing so that in practice a tripod is a must?

Thanks.
    Whoops, saw it before but couldn't answer. No you do not need a tripod for either the HDR or the bracketing.

First up, HDR is only available in jpeg mode (you must turn off raw - firmware bug that hopefully will get fixed). HDR allows for 6 different levels of EV. It takes three shots and returns to you two shots. The "middle" normal exposure plus the HDR exposure.

The shots are taken in rapid fire (the camera can do a 7 shots per secon burst - to give you an idea of how fast). So you can indeed handhold and not worry about motion between shots.

As for braketing - unlike HDR the bracketing is only for 2/3 EV max in either direction for three shots so a lot less bracketing lattitude. However, like HDR it is fast rapid fire so again you can get away with a handheld bracketed exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Whoops, saw it before but couldn't answer. No you do not need a tripod for either the HDR or the bracketing.

First up, HDR is only available in jpeg mode (you must turn off raw - firmware bug that hopefully will get fixed). HDR allows for 6 different levels of EV. It takes three shots and returns to you two shots. The "middle" normal exposure plus the HDR exposure.

The shots are taken in rapid fire (the camera can do a 7 shots per secon burst - to give you an idea of how fast). So you can indeed handhold and not worry about motion between shots.

As for braketing - unlike HDR the bracketing is only for 2/3 EV max in either direction for three shots so a lot less bracketing lattitude. However, like HDR it is fast rapid fire so again you can get away with a handheld bracketed exposure.
    Processing pipeline/storage to flash engine probably can't keep up with writing RAW and JPEG for a 7 shots per second burst that is why they probably have you turn off RAW for HDR.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Processing pipeline/storage to flash engine probably can't keep up with writing RAW and JPEG for a 7 shots per second burst that is why they probably have you turn off RAW for HDR.
    The annoying part isn't that you can't do an HDR RAW it is simply that you have to go into the menu and change your RAW or RAW + jpeg to just jpeg. Conversly when shooting a Pano even though the camera only gives you jpeg if you have RAW set it doesn't make you go into the menus and change it. Changing the setting to HDR should automatically signal the camera that it is jpeg only. Once out of HDR mode it should default back to your normal setting.

That being said what would be best is instead of the camera giving you back the middle exposure as a jpeg and the HDR, the middle exposure should be saved as a RAW (if you have the camera set to RAW) and then the normal three shot HDR jpeg. This really would be ideal.
    Last edited by Terry; 5th August 2010 at 17:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    The annoying part isn't that you can't do an HDR RAW it is simply that you have to go into the menu and change your RAW or RAW + jpeg to just jpeg. Conversly when shooting a Pano even though the camera only gives you jpeg if you have RAW set it doesn't make you go into the menus and change it. Changing the setting to HDR should automatically signal the camera that it is jpeg only. Once out of HDR mode it should default back to your normal setting.

That being said what would be best is instead of the camera giving you back the middle exposure as a jpeg, and the HDR the middle exposure as a RAW and the resulting three shot HDR jpeg would be ideal.
    Sounds excellent! We nominate you to be the chief NEX interface guru/architect!
    Maybe you could whip these Sony designers into line like you did the Apple Aperture folks.
    Only 2/3 max EV on the bracketing. WTF! Luckily the camera has good DR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These were taken with HDR jpeg. I had no control over sharpening.
    NEX-5 and Contax 35 f/2

w/o

Terry is absolutely correct about how HDR should work.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 5th August 2010 at 17:09.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe gets credit on ideas for HDR. He has used and experimented with it the most (and has fabulous results!) We just happened to have discussed ways it could be implemented.

Post Thanks / Like

Sebboh,

alright, i took a couple of old shots that were stopped down a bit and converted them in aperture using the default settings plus a sharpening radius of .38 and sharpening intensity of .8 (whatever that means). comparing them directly to the straight out of camera jpegs there is definitely more detail in the raw files but the ooc jpegs aren't as bad as i thought. i think most of the loss of detail is actually due to local contrast enhancement which should actually make the images look sharper when downsized. anyway, here are the photos - judge for yourself:

the first image was taken at f/2.8 on the olympus 42mm f/1.2 so it might not be the lens' maximum sharpness but it is a good subject for a resolution test, a shot of extremely fine hairs.
    uncropped image:

and the crops:

aperture export on the left, ooc jpeg on the right.

this next image was taken with the canon FL 55mm f/1.2 at f/8 or maybe f/5.6 where i know it is extremely sharp.
    uncropped image of my first slr (which clearly needs a cleaning):

and the crops:

again aperture export on the left, ooc jpeg on the right.

somehow uploading these onto flickr seems to have added a few jpeg artifacts and softened them a bit, but you get the idea. to me the ooc jpegs have a plasticky kind of look to them. the raw files are plenty sharp for me. in any event, the lack of fine detail you are seeing in many of the posted pictures is most likely largely due to poor downsizing. it is absolutely impossible to judge sharpness (resolution) from web sized images so i wouldn't worry to much about what you see if it's not a 100% crop. i have seen a very interesting example of two shots taken with the same lens, one in focus the other slightly out of focus. when downsized no one could tell them apart. the usual review sites have tested the NEX's resolution (i'm sure doing a much better job then i) and found it to be (not surprisingly) marginally better than all the 12mp dslrs and marginally worse than the 18mp canon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there
    Great examples, but on my iPad it's coming out with one shot above tag other, not right and left. Bottom ones aperture?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there
    Great examples, but on my iPad it's coming out with one shot above tag other, not right and left. Bottom ones aperture?
    nope, top one's aperture if they don't come out next to each other. i probably should have boosted the definition (clarity slider) on the aperture ones to match the local contrast of the jpegs. as it is, the jpegs have more pop while the raw crops show more fine detail (more individual hairs in the bee). note: the crops are between 500 and 550 pixels in width - make sure you are actually viewing them at 100%. any downsizing will make the jpegs look sharper i suspect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    alright, i took a couple of old shots that were stopped down a bit and converted them in aperture using the default settings plus a sharpening radius of .38 and sharpening intensity of .8 (whatever that means). comparing them directly to the straight out of camera jpegs there is definitely more detail in the raw files but the ooc jpegs aren't as bad as i thought. i think most of the loss of detail is actually due to local contrast enhancement which should actually make the images look sharper when downsized. anyway, here are the photos - judge for yourself:.....
    To be quite honest, at these web sizes, I personally don't see any meaningful difference between the RAW processed versions and the OOC Jpeg. I intend to do my own testing, as soon as someone like DXO starts supporting RAW for the NEX.

I use DXO and find their underlying RAW processing engine to be top-notch and when coupled with their lens-camera distortion correction modules, should be a good baseline to see how much more information can be extracted out of the RAW (vis-a-vis the in-camera Jpeg).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, these jpegs don't look too bad compared to Aperture.

DXO shouldn't do much more in terms of detail vs. Aperture. If you really want to see detail, try RPP or RT.

Post Thanks / Like

Sebboh,

Thanks, for taking the time to do all this. I am surprised that there is not more difference.
    These pictures all are nice and sharp without the film I see over other NEX5 shots I have seen posted elsewhere.
    I see that these shots were taken at ISO 200 and so I was wondering if some of the lack of sharpness scene in other shots posted elsewhere is due to the majority of them being indoor low-light cases which are probably using ISO 800 or 1600. I am wondering if the jpeg engine has an agressive NR algorithm which is killing the detail at high iso.
    If you could provide a jpeg vs. RAW crop at high iso, say 800 or 1600, it would be interesting to see if that is what is happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Sebboh,

Thanks, for taking the time to do all this. I am surprised that there is not more difference.
    These pictures all are nice and sharp without the film I see over other NEX5 shots I have seen posted elsewhere.
    I see that these shots were taken at ISO 200 and so I was wondering if some of the lack of sharpness scene in other shots posted elsewhere is due to the majority of them being indoor low-light cases which are probably using ISO 800 or 1600. I am wondering if the jpeg engine has an agressive NR algorithm which is killing the detail at high iso.
    If you could provide a jpeg vs. RAW crop at high iso, say 800 or 1600, it would be interesting to see if that is what is happening.
    i suspect you are right about the aggressive noise filter but i doubt that's the reason for the film you are seeing. i suspect that is due to poor downsizing algorithms or excessive compression. even if the noise reduction just averaged every four pixel group to the same value it would still be easy to make the resulting image look sharp at 1024 pixels in length.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sebboh,

Personally I don't feel like there is excessive NR going on robbing detail above 800. I've posted a bunch of shots on the first page of this thread of ISO 1600's. Granted they don't have all the hairs from the bee but I think they show good detail.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

erm.. well, I haven't a clue whether it's good or bad, but in the tradition of the new camera, I have to post some shots.

16mm f5 ISO 200

16mm f5 ISO 200

Kit lens ISO 200 f5

kit lens ISO 500 f5

it's grey and drab here, so it really isn't the best opportunity to play with a new camera, but such as it is . . . .

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have fun...don't blame me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In fact, I don't believe I've used the zoom since I went to Hawaii last year.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8331

Unfortunately, the links changed for all of those pics, but here are a few of them:
    A900+ZA 24-70

Doug,
    Still love those hawaii images also, especially the boat.
    I lived in Hawaii for over 16 years and never got shots like yours...

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, assume the K7 went back. When i saw the "i'm doomed" expected to see some shots. *smile*

If we don't blame Terry......well........

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one thing that other NEX owners can chime in on... I'm finding that one of the things that Sony need to consider for their next FW update is the ability to have the menus wrap-around. For example, every time I want to change the bottom menu choice, Creative Style, for example, you need to keep turning the control wheel clockwise until you reach the bottom. Wouldn't it make sense to turn it counterclockwise and get there in one click?

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Here's one thing that other NEX owners can chime in on... I'm finding that one of the things that Sony need to consider for their next FW update is the ability to have the menus wrap-around. For example, every time I want to change the bottom menu choice, Creative Style, for example, you need to keep turning the control wheel clockwise until you reach the bottom. Wouldn't it make sense to turn it counterclockwise and get there in one click?

Cheers,
    Yes
    Format is buried a million clicks deep!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Jono, assume the K7 went back. When i saw the "i'm doomed" expected to see some shots. *smile*

If we don't blame Terry......well........
    Yes it did - it was lovely, but the 16-50 was big, and the file quality really didn't match up to the A900 . . . .
    this looks like fun though, and the file quality is pretty good . . . .

all at 1600 ISO with the kit lens

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a shot I did with the Sony Alpha adapter, ext tubes, and a Minolta 100-300 AF on a NEX 5

And a crop of the head

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jim,
    Welcome to the forum. The head almost has a "glow" to it. Cool!