Site Sponsors
Page 27 of 147 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 7312

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Great photos Douglas, glad to see the combo finally arrived for you..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    What I am wondering is if the 1.5 crop of the NEX seems to amplify the amount of coma compared to if it was shot on a FF camera where the pixel density is lesser? I usually only shoot my fast glass on a FF camera so I haven't tested this before. Does that make sense?
    yes, higher pixel density always magnifies the coma (and the CA) of any lens. if you look at two images at 100% shot from the same lens at the same target one with 5D classic one with a 5D mkII the CA and coma will be greater in the images from the 5D mkII (but the same when both images are scaled to the same area). thus, these flaws are magnified when lenses are switched from FF to any crop camera. on the other hand distortion and vignetting always become less of a problem on going from FF to cropped cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mimaki View Post
    Great photos Douglas, glad to see the combo finally arrived for you..
    I'm loving it so far. The NEX-5 managed to come in smaller than all of these guys, outside of the teeny tiny Micro 16. I used to think the Bolsey in front was small!

nex-5 with CV 35/1.4 at f2.8

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas, I see that you have on display, the ugliest camera ever made, the "brick". Even that one isn't half blind like the NEX-5 as it does have a view finder.

Hopefully, the NEX-9/11 will have a decent EVF and a full swivel LCD screen.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

here is the voigt 21 and 25 f/4 - can you guys see if this lens is acceptable? it's not the best test.

I have full jpgs I'll link later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Douglas, I see that you have on display, the ugliest camera ever made, the "brick". Even that one isn't half blind like the NEX-5 as it does have a view finder.

Hopefully, the NEX-9/11 will have a decent EVF and a full swivel LCD screen.
    Yeah, the "brick" isn't winning any beauty contests, although it does fit in a cigarette box, which is cool if you're a spy. Its viewfinder is like a mini waist level finder, which isn't THAT far off from the NEX-5. I'll surely buy an EVF for NEX if it comes, but, honestly, I'm completely in love with shooting it waist-level, so I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it.

Post Thanks / Like

re: Fun With Sony _____

Before I have the tiny Nex, a850 was my day in and day out camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hornblade View Post

A850 + 16-35 + 2 stop soft GND. Spray Park, Mt Rainier Natl Park
    Really, really nice capture. Bet it looks awesome printed!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure we are talking about the same cam, Douglas. The Argus is the brick and it has a viewfinder (albeit a dark one).

tigertimb

Just having fun with the NEX as the title suggests - certainly found the camera encouraging me to play with the camera again.

First two with the Minolta AF 50mm f1.4
    Second two with the Minolta AF 50mm f3.5 macro with the last just about on the MFD
    (and I know I ought to keep my watch cleaner!)

All jpegs straight from the camera and just resized.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure we are talking about the same cam, Douglas. The Argus is the brick and it has a viewfinder (albeit a dark one).
    Duh, that Argus was just given to me, and I forgot that it was affectionally known as "the brick." You are correct, it is indeed ugly, and it does have somewhat of a viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken..vs..ryu, get to a spot where you can use a wide open aperture and focus them to infinity with the background all near the same distance away........ look at the corners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Ken..vs..ryu, get to a spot where you can use a wide open aperture and focus them to infinity with the background all near the same distance away........ look at the corners.
    I tried but the store is really narrow. The silver cv21 looked and felt great on the nex-5. I've read that the 21 showed smearing but I suppose these shots won't show that.

The 25 was an m mount and had a plastic focus tab so it did not feel as solid as the 21. It was the perfect size and weight though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, I don't think I have seen one lens 28mm and under in RF lenses that hasn't smeared. My 28 Contax G smears wide open and at infinity but I work around it with smaller apertures and avoiding infinity focus composition. I just like the 42mm perspective it affords me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting stats from my Ireland trip. I'm going through my files now.

2700 frames shot
    1320 - A900
    1380 - NEX5

77 currently rated "4 star"
    40 from the NEX5
    27 from the A900

of the 40 from the NEX 5 26 are from the kit lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got my NEX5 in today and hopefully I will get some time this weekend to play with it.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, I don't think I have seen one lens 28mm and under in RF lenses that hasn't smeared. My 28 Contax G smears wide open and at infinity but I work around it with smaller apertures and avoiding infinity focus composition. I just like the 42mm perspective it affords me.
    Jim, as stated in the other thread, the below link has Full-size pictures taken with the NEX5 and the Contax G 21mm f/2.8 Biogon, with several of them taken wide-open at f/2.8. Seems to be a great combo with no smearing etc, even though there is a bit of color shift.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/r...18_387505.html

However, as you stated, if there are lens fitment problems with the 21mm, then I will definitely not do it, and will have to let the lens go.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post

2700 frames shot
    1320 - A900
    1380 - NEX5

40 from the NEX5
    27 from the A900

Numbers speak louder than words, and those numbers say a lot! Very interesting as well as encouraging. Can't wait to get back on my feet again so I can get out and start shooting the NEX5. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2700 frames shot
    1320 - A900
    1380 - NEX5

40 from the NEX5
    27 from the A900

Very interesting. While my NEX has been getting a lot of casual use, it is striking to see that kind of breakdown for a photography-oriented trip where you have an A900 with you. Based on the 4-star reference, I would have to assume that the NEX has functioned as far more than a social camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using my NEX 5s and loving them. Here's a few from this weekend, all with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm really hoping that Sony release an EVF for this camera. Processed in ACR & PS5 from RAW.

Attachment 34368

Attachment 34367

Attachment 34365

Attachment 34366

I wrote about using the cameras on the FAQ on my website.

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 8th July 2011 at 08:51.

Post Thanks / Like

roweraay, The examples on that site would not show the full effect of smearing issue's effectively because the objects around the perimeter are closer than the focused objects in the center. I accidently did the same thing when checking my 28mm (which smears at wide open aperture and infinity focus so if you "could mount" the 21mm and "focus to infinity" at wide open aperture, it definitely extends further rearward on the lens, so smearing would near be a given IMO) I shot at a woods but had trees closer on both sides and smearing was not as obvious till I shot with the whole line of trees at the same distance and at infinity.

I wish I could read it but from what I see the scenic which shows smearing on both lower corners was shot at F4. The shot across the roof top was shot at F8 and the sailboat shot was at 2.8 but you really can't tell anything about the shot with the vignetting. If I faced odds at a poker table like the odds the 21 (if you get it mounted without interference) smears I would go all in with great confidence and a smile.

Seeing the color shift and vignetting I am feeling much better my 21mm doesn't fit without interference fix or not. That lens is breathtaking on a Contax G with slide film. I hate to see it portrayed like it is on that site.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 18th August 2010 at 17:20.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm I might pick up the cv21 and sell it if surprises at photokina for the nex come about - I'd love a 35mm equiv at least at 2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing the color shift and vignetting I am feeling much better my 21mm doesn't fit without interference fix or not. That lens is breathtaking on a Contax G with slide film. I hate to see it portrayed like it is on that site.
    Based on your recommendation, I might just add a G2, just to use the lens the way it was originally designed to be used.

I have never shot rangefinders (only SLRs) and hence this will be a new experience, if I finally decide on going down this path.

Post Thanks / Like

Some would argue that the Contax G's are rangerfinder's at all but I will say they are great light collectors for a 35mm film camera with excellent lenses. Look at the site Contax G pages. You may want a G2 after that for that 21mm. Especially look at the landscape gallery.

Post Thanks / Like

Some would argue that the Contax G's are rangerfinder's at all but I will say they are great light collectors for a 35mm film camera with excellent lenses. Look at the site Contax G pages. You may want a G2 after that for that 21mm. Especially look at the landscape gallery.
    My only concern is that I have not shot film in over a decade and for all intents and purposes, have completely transitioned away from it. Digital is so damn convenient and the A900 is just a superb Full-frame camera.

If the Contax G came in digital, then I would not even think twice about it. As it stands, I will have to think this over.

Post Thanks / Like

"If the Contax G came in digital" you and a thousand other people! But this is how I am using the NEX as sort of a digital lightbox for my Contax G glass and loving it! The fun is back in photography for me now in seeing the results this glass has in a digital format. The NEX allows so many various lens systems to join together on one camera it is truly the wild card in the deck. I have had a bunch of camera's for me the NEX is a keeper as is the Contax G2

Post Thanks / Like

"If the Contax G came in digital" you and a thousand other people! But this is how I am using the NEX as sort of a digital lightbox for my Contax G glass and loving it! The fun is back in photography for me now in seeing the results this glass has in a digital format. The NEX allows so many various lens systems to join together on one camera it is truly the wild card in the deck. I have had a bunch of camera's for me the NEX is a keeper as is the Contax G2
    Agreed. I took a peek into the Contax G pages site, and to be quite honest, found it a fairly lonely place....almost a ghost town (or a place where tired 90+ year olds gather to talk of the good old times), in comparison to the sheer dynamism in some of the other digital oriented sites or even sites that cater to the M mount products.

Seems like products like the NEX are starting to give a new lease of life to those good old Contax G lenses. I just hope that my upcoming 21mm will not have any problems, and will work okay with the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw KEH has 2-35mm f2's and 1 90mm plus a load of 28's and 45's FYI

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Numbers speak louder than words, and those numbers say a lot! Very interesting as well as encouraging. Can't wait to get back on my feet again so I can get out and start shooting the NEX5. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by MPK2010 View Post
    Very interesting. While my NEX has been getting a lot of casual use, it is striking to see that kind of breakdown for a photography-oriented trip where you have an A900 with you. Based on the 4-star reference, I would have to assume that the NEX has functioned as far more than a social camera.
    There were a number of situations where the NEX was extremely useful in the field.
    I was trying to take some shots at a castle and in order to minimize distortion I really wanted to get the camera as high as possible (on tripod). With the NEX I could get tripod to max height and tilt screen downwards for framing focus:

We went to Skellig Michael which is an island about 8 miles off the coast. A small kit was better for the boat ride and trying to shoot while moving. Once on the island it is a big climb without handrails again a smaller light kit useful.

On Great Blasket Island they have put up some green fencing to protect some of the cottage ruins (not sure if it is permanent). The best way to shoot these is from a low angle and the NEX was the correct choice because I coulees lean over the fence hold camera low and tilt the screen up.

If the A900 had live view and a tiltable screen, my results might have been different in terms of the shooting stats but I still love having a flexible small system side by side my DSLR

Ross Castle

On the boat to Skellig Michael - Little Skellig a large Gannet bird colony

Skellig Michael looking back to Little Skellig and the mainland

Great Blasket - you can see a bit of fencing on the right bottom corner
    Last edited by Terry; 19th August 2010 at 01:58.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On a different note the size of the A33 looks really intriguing. The NEX 5 is tiny so the "rumored" A33 has to be minuscule for a dslr body....

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-e...ze-comparison/

It supposedly has a high resolution EVF so viewfinder size won't be an issue.

Put this in perspective with a more normal sized dslr

Post Thanks / Like

Terry,

great images from Ireland.

These are from Gilroy :-)

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Shani Clinton

I like the Colorado most.
    The most stylish and attractive metallic look.

Shani.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On a different note the size of the A33 looks really intriguing. The NEX 5 is tiny so the "rumored" A33 has to be minuscule for a dslr body....

It supposedly has a high resolution EVF so viewfinder size won't be an issue.

Put this in perspective with a more normal sized dslr

That is about the size of a Nikon D40x/60 (may be a tad smaller).

Wonderful light in your Ireland pictures, Terry. I should visit your collection (any link?).

newworld666

I just made some tests of the sony 18-55 zoom compared to an old canon FD50F1.4 and a samyang 14F2.8 .. all at F5.6 ... and i was surprised that the zoom was not that bad at 18mm but very weak at 55mm
    Jaust ome samples of 2 weeks test.
    NEX5+Zoom @55F5.6 crop

NEX5 [email protected] crop

NEX5 + zoom @18mmF5.6

NEX5 + Samyang 14F2.8 @ F5.6

As a wide angle the zoom in real life more than acceptable and difference is not really significant at all with a sharp samyang

NEX5 + zoom @18mmF3.5

NEX5 + samyang 14F2.8 cropped at 18mm equivalent

as a small joke I tried to get a small non scientific comparison between a 50D+EF85L1.2II and NEX5 + FDL1.2 .. all at F1.2 ..
    after many tries, I would say these too samples represents best of what I could get with the 50D (all manual focus, timer on, mirror up)

NEX5 + FD85L1.2

50D + EF85L1.2II crop

So my conclusion is that as manual focus there is a big gap in favour the NEX5 body ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is about the size of a Nikon D40x/60 (may be a tad smaller).

Wonderful light in your Ireland pictures, Terry. I should visit your collection (any link?).
    Thanks Vivek,
    I'm headed back to the US now but won't get in until you are snoozing. I hope to have the whole collection up over the weekend and will provide a link.

It seemed to me like the a33 was really tiny and the 550 was more the size of the D40. The A33 can't really be any larger than a G1/2gH1 from the side by side with the NEX
    Last edited by Terry; 19th August 2010 at 01:35.

newworld666

Then I made some tests in real life situation .. and I am completely pleased with the NEX5+FD50F1.4 and FD85L1.2 ... but I want to get a better alternative for wide angle (around 24/30 mm)
    with 85L1.2

with 85L1.2 in the night

indoor with 85L1.2

indoor with a 50F1.4

with an old Helios 44M2 (unfortunately I can't get infinite focus)

outdoor with a FD50F1.4

I love results with the FD85F1.2, but with FD50F1.4 is stays really compact, ultra sharp and 24hours a day usable with easy Manual focus

even more compact than the ultra soft zoom at 50mmF5.6

Hd pictures by clicking on them

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vivek,
    I'm headed back ton the US Noe but won't get in until you are snoozing. I hope to have the whole collection up over the weekend and will provide a link.
    I look forward to it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by newworld666 View Post

Very pleasing! Superb shot in every sense!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely Rose Vivek
    Terry - great shots - love the shot from the boat especially
    Have a good trip home.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A strong shot Espresso is in order, Jono.

That fabulous shot is from newworld666.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A strong shot Espresso is in order, Jono.

That fabulous shot is from newworld666.
    I need more than espresso this morning I'm afraid . . . still a lovely shot though - even if you didn't take it!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

It seemed to me like the a33 was really tiny and the 550 was more the size of the D40. The A33 can't really be any larger than a G1/2gH1 from the side by side with the NEX
    It looks like an olympus E size.

Post Thanks / Like

I was traveling for a few days with MP, Cron 28, Lux 50 asph, NEX5 with 16mm and m-adapter. All in all a great travel combo. A few with the NEX and 16mm.
    Last edited by retow; 19th October 2011 at 11:01.

Post Thanks / Like

If the A900 had live view and a tiltable screen, my results might have been different in terms of the shooting stats but I still love having a flexible small system side by side my DSLR
    Great pictures Terry.

I wonder if the below, would have been useful on the A900, under the conditions you described (overhead shooting etc):

http://www.zigview.co.uk/seculine-zi...viewfinder.htm
    http://www.zigview.co.uk/seculine-zi...viewfinder.htm

Seems like it is a bit pricey but well worth it for such situations, I presume ?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Agreed. I took a peek into the Contax G pages site, and to be quite honest, found it a fairly lonely place....
    Might want to check out rangefinderforum.com as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Great pictures Terry.

Seems like it is a bit pricey but well worth it for such situations, I presume ?
    Woohoo I'm somewhere over Maine and the wifi service has just kicked in. Looks like an interesting product. As you say, pricey. Adding the NEX to my camera bag is a breeze and gives me a "social" camera at the same time so I'm pretty darn happy to have it.

Post Thanks / Like

After thinking things over and the potential issues with the 21mm Biogon and the NEX-ContaxG adapter, I called up KEH, and when they stated that the 21mm has not shipped out, I asked them to cancel the shipment. I have also written to the guy in China/HK about cancelling the adapter's shipment and still awaiting his response on that. I guess for now, I will stick to the M-mount lenses, even if they are a bit pricier.

So if someone is interested in an EX+ Contax G 21mm f/2.8 Biogon (with finder), it will most probably appear at the KEH site by tomorrow. Seems to be a rare bird, in any case.

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Here are some pictures featuring the Nex 16mm and my Contax G-Lenses.

No tripod used.

--
    BTW : There are coloured corners with the 28mm Contax too. (Not only with the 21mm)
    --

Last edited by fotoingo; 19th August 2010 at 13:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    I am digging those textures MG
    Thanks David

It's good to know they didn't go unnoticed.

MG