The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

monza

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

You are correct, I have a habit of calling it a Biogon. :) I've edited my post.

If I'm not mistaken the ZM Biogon has edge issues but that's from memory, probably from posts here; I haven't used it myself.

douglasf13

Well, I found my answer for the ZM 35mm f2 on m4/3. It doesn't look great at the edges:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76499&postcount=58

I've been looking at the design of the CV 35mm f1.4, and although I'd certainly prefer a Leica or ZM if I was shooting the M9, the CV may very well perform better at the edges on NEX. I'll probably just buy a NEX+M adapter and rent every 35mm I can find until one works well....or, Sony could do me a favor and just release a darn standard prime. lol.

Terry

The only M - 35 (actually adapted screw mount) I own is the color skopar which is the smallest lens around. It will look teeny on the NEX lens mount. However, I doubt you were looking for an f2.5 lens.

douglasf13

I've seen that the color skopar does okay at the edges of m4/3. I wouldn't be opposed to f2.5, but, you're right that I would prefer f2 or faster. Thanks, Terry!

jonoslack

The only M - 35 (actually adapted screw mount) I own is the color skopar which is the smallest lens around. It will look teeny on the NEX lens mount. However, I doubt you were looking for an f2.5 lens.
Hmmm - I have several M lenses . . . perhaps you'll have to make a detour on your Ireland trip (something somewhere says I owe you a drink . . . or was that a decent supper, or even both!).

(I wonder how it would work with the new 35 'lux?)

V

Vivek

I have asked RJ about a NEX adapter (or at least half of it) to fit Olympus pen F lenses.

They (barring the 20/3.5- I don't have that one) all seem to do well on the NX10, in particular the 40/1.4 (marvelous :thumbs:).

I am sure the 42/1.2, 60/1.5, etc all will do fantastically well on an APS-C sensor.

douglasf13

If the new 35 lux is the only 35 that works well on NEX...I might as well just go with the M9 and a cheap 50mm. lol.

douglasf13

Oh yeah! I forgot all about Pen F. It's kind of a strange twist to put a Pen lens on NEX :) Have you tried the 38mm 1.8, or is the 40mm 1.4 that much better?

V

Vivek

Yes, I have that as well (and the rare 38/2.8 pancake/ another rare 38/2.8 "regular"). The 40/1.4 is that much better. ;)

T

tokengirl

I've seen that the color skopar does okay at the edges of m4/3. I wouldn't be opposed to f2.5, but, you're right that I would prefer f2 or faster. Thanks, Terry!
I saw a bunch of photos on Flickr that were taken with the EP1 and the CV Nokton 35mm f1.2 (which I can no longer find, of course). The photos were terrific, it makes a very nice portrait lens on M4/3. The question is, do you want a lens that big?

douglasf13

Yeah, the Nokton is a giant. I'm more concerned about corner performance. If you see a bunch of shallow DOF shots from the Nokton with the subject centered, it's hard to tell whether there is the infamous m4/3 corner smearing. I don't need perfect corners, but I don't want them to be a smeared mess, either.

wayne_s

They are supposed to email me when available. They indicated next week.

I think I read that the 16mm purchased on it's own has a hood. Supposedly the 18-55 hood fits on the 16 but not sure if it is the right size for a 16mm lens. I will let you know this weekend
Great! Thanks Terry, look forward to seeing the results!!
Hope you take up Jono's offer. Wow, a shootout between NEX5 and M9 using the same 35 'Lux sounds cool and would be very interesting to see how much better the M9 is IQ wise.
From what I have seen of the Sony 16 on the web so far, it looks like you are better off with the kit zoom.
Also, if you were to compare the A900 and NEX5 RAW shots with no Noise Reduction,how many stops better would say the A900 is over the NEX5 in high ISO noise performance?
The green landscape of Ireland sounds like a perfect photo break from the hot,hazy brown landscape here in the Bay Area with the continuous sunny days.

douglasf13

You know, come to think of it Jono, the 35 lux may not be great on the NEX. That rear element extends pretty close to the sensor. I can't wait to read the results.

barjohn

It appears it is a Windows only update. No Mac version. Is this what others have seen? Terry, have you tried it?

Martin S

Yes Barjohn, Windows only!!!!!!!!!!

Is this a trend of Windows only updates, or is a MAC version in the works???

I certainly hope so.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.