Site Sponsors
Page 30 of 147 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 130 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 7311

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Here is a dead bee/fly up close (with some fancy macro lens and equally fancy lighting set up). The NEX sensor was on a tripod and I used the 10s timer mode. Only after stopping down the lens to see diffraction effects (as indicated by the dust on the sensor), there is some details starting to show up. This image is after turning off all the destructive things like noise control (which was set to minimum), DRO and the like. Snapped at ISO200 and it is the entire frame.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, how about same shot same time with NEX and G1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which raw converter did you use, Vivek?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we all agree here, than.

The NEX can be used as a point 'n shoot and at the same time it can be good enough for more serious work.
    Are there technical imperfections? I guess so, but given the size and the price it's quite a versatile camera.

Terry, I like your Ireland series. Did you find much difference in IQ when you use the adapter and CZ glass on the NEX?

GaryW

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Is that it?

Man, you guys are discussing this as if you just spend €40.000 on a 60 MP Phase back, Alpa 12 SWA (Rosewood) and some Schneider glass and now you're getting 'mushy' results.

The last ten or so comments above make it sound like the NEX is a seriously flawed camera. It's a €650 APC point 'n shoot for crying out loud.

As I tried to make clear in response to Douglas' links to the Alphamount guys, my personal opinion is that there's far too much pixel peeping going on with the NEX. Now don't get me wrong, I find this technical stuff intriguing, but I just don't think these questions and often cryptic answers belong in a thread called 'Fun with...'
    Well, that thread was a response to complaints posted on DPR. There is a lot of pixel peeping, and the slightest flaw with a 100% magnification is somehow some huge flaw. I agree, it is getting to be a bit silly the way some want to harp on every perceived problem. I think part of it is that some people are working hard to not like the Nex.

Regardless, it is interesting to learn about the technology and advantages and disadvantages of cameras, software, etc. Using RAW software, the jagged line that was said to be an aliasing problem isn't even visible. So, I'm not sure if it was an aliasing problem or not, just that better RAW conversion can be done on the computer than in-camera. I don't know what's funny or objectionable about that observation.

Not to be picky, but it was Photoclubalpha not Alphamountworld, but anyway...

Me, I'm enjoying my NEX 5 more and more as just that. A fun point and shoot with good enough results for prints up to 30 x45 cm if by chance there's something worthwhile between the daily snaps.
    Shoot first, think later. To me that is a very welcome alternative to my Leica MP, M7 and serious a900 work.

Kind regards,

Peter
    I can have fun and still be curious about the underlying technology. If there are any flaws, I might as well know how to work around them, if necessary.

But the bar has been raised so high, it's increasingly difficult for me to obsess over problems. Besides, I'm not a pro photographer, so my needs are perhaps more modest, but I do like the step up in quality over small-sensored cameras. This is such a nice travel camera. The kit lens is pretty good! What's not to like?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary, I agree with everything you say, and yes, it was Photoclubalpha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, your bee has serious dandruff problem.
    V/r John

GaryW

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Gary, Welcome to the site. As long as you are satisfied with what you use, you will certainly use it often.
    Thanks Vivek! Yes, things only need to be good enough for the intended purpose. Although, a bit of overengineering never hurts.

I think your macro is fantastic. But if the Nex isn't good enough for your work, I guess that is that. I'd use what works. I think you do have to make some compromises with the Nex, but you get a lot of portability.

I'm trying to make use of the Nex as my "main" camera. I'm about to put it through another torture-test....

Post Thanks / Like

re: Fun With Sony _____

Jono,

Great pictures, Casper sure has grown a lot since the last time I had a view.

Isobel is fantastic, wonderful capture. Any chance that you have full view of her that you can share?
    The ZA 135 and A900 is an outstanding combination in your hands.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoSenior View Post
    Jono,

Great pictures, Casper sure has grown a lot since the last time I had a view.

Isobel is fantastic, wonderful capture. Any chance that you have full view of her that you can share?
    The ZA 135 and A900 is an outstanding combination in your hands.

Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry . . .
    Like this:

Actually, cheating as it wasn't taken with the A900 (M9 with 50 'lux).

She is a friend of the children - and her parents are friends of ours - fantastic girl.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow Jono that is some dramatic weather. I love the 135 lens but I have such a boring social life I have no victims around to use it on for a portrait lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, This is a very cropped view of a photo made with a Minolta 100-300 zoom with extension tubes on a NEX 5. I only ever print to 8"x10" and have printed this image which hangs in my den. The lens I used is not known for particularly good resolution but I really can't imagine much better detail than what I see in the eyes of this Dragonfly picture. DOF was extremely narrow ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Wow Jono that is some dramatic weather. I love the 135 lens but I have such a boring social life I have no victims around to use it on for a portrait lens.
    Hah - Don't believe a word of it (about your social life), on the other hand, the 135 is not exactly a dinner party lens . . . at least, not unless you want to whack someone over the head with it for misbehaving

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Vivek, how about same shot same time with NEX and G1.
    Terry, Will do. I have to scrub the sensor clean first...

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Which raw converter did you use, Vivek?
    Douglas, The Sony supplied converter.

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Vivek, your bee has serious dandruff problem.
    Yeah. Hope your replacement zoom would perform better, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Vivek, This is a very cropped view of a photo made with a Minolta 100-300 zoom with extension tubes on a NEX 5. I only ever print to 8"x10" and have printed this image which hangs in my den. The lens I used is not known for particularly good resolution but I really can't imagine much better detail than what I see in the eyes of this Dragonfly picture. DOF was extremely narrow ...

Nice. Hope to see more of your pictures when you get your NEX-5 back, Jim.

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill. The spider shot really sparkles. I hadn't thoughtnof the sigma macro. What is the focusing like?[/QUOTE]

Jono,

It's quite fast but like all "cam" mechanisms, not totally silent. I like the lens a lot = its the sharpest Sigma makes, I believe. TX for your comment!
    Best,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    a900 with Sigma 70 mm macro.
    Great shot! Anyone know what kind of spider that is?

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Thanks for the new picture of Isobel. I'm sure that her personality matches her colorful appearance. Kind of reminds me of when I way living in the SF Bay area in the mid 1960's.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, the supplied Sony converter is terrible. You should try LR 3 RC2 (it is a free down load until they release it) or Bibble 5 Pro or Raw Developer 1.8.10. Any of them will do a much better job on conversion and you may find detail that you didn't think was there. The Sony Raw converter doesn't do any better than the JPG converter in the camera and it doesn't compare to the ones listed above.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, if detail is the goal, Sony IDC is not ideal. RPP and Raw Therapee are among the best around, if you have the patience for their slow, deliberate work flow. If not, more mainstream programs like LR3 will still be much better than the Sony program, in terms of detail. Along with lens choice and sensor, demoisacing is a third of the battle, and raw converters aren't created equally.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, the supplied Sony converter is terrible. You should try LR 3 RC2 (it is a free down load until they release it) or Bibble 5 Pro or Raw Developer 1.8.10. Any of them will do a much better job on conversion and you may find detail that you didn't think was there. The Sony Raw converter doesn't do any better than the JPG converter in the camera and it doesn't compare to the ones listed above.
    Thanks, John.

There are more pressing problems at hand now and I will revisit the NEX after taking care of them. Despite the compactness cuteness of the NEX sensor, frankly, it isn't all that appealing to use for me. I am not going to sell it like I did the NX10, I have plenty of experiments planned for the NEX-5 sensor.

Hopefully, we will get to see an EVF for the NEX-5 by then.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, if detail is the goal, Sony IDC is not ideal. RPP and Raw Therapee are among the best around, if you have the patience for their slow, deliberate work flow. If not, more mainstream programs like LR3 will still be much better than the Sony program, in terms of detail. Along with lens choice and sensor, demoisacing is a third of the battle, and raw converters aren't created equally.
    Thanks, Douglas.

Those experiments will have to wait as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoSenior View Post
    Jono,

Thanks for the new picture of Isobel. I'm sure that her personality matches her colorful appearance. Kind of reminds me of when I way living in the SF Bay area in the mid 1960's.

Jerry
    Oh! I was a schoolkid in StIves then . . . still a cool place I guess. At anyrate, Isobel is fab.

Here is something I walked past this evening . . . impossible to resist really!

One might almost believe in the almighty

however, this church has been 'returned to the community' as it were.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Agree about the Sony IDC, which is a pretty piss-poor RAW converter. My converter of choice is DXO Elite, but unfortunately they don't have RAW support yet, for the NEX.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Great shot! Anyone know what kind of spider that is?
    It has several names: European garden spider, diadem spider, or cross spider (lat.: Araneus diadematus).

Excellent capture, Mr. Caulfeild-Browne

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    It has several names: European garden spider, diadem spider, or cross spider (lat.: Araneus diadematus).
    Thanks Steen!

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post

Excellent capture, Mr. Caulfeild-Browne
    Thanks, Steen, and yes, I know it as a Cross Spider for obvious reasons!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Minolta 50/2.8 MACRO at 2.8 800 ISO. Thought of selling it as I have the Sigma 70 Macro which is great. But this is really a perfect 50. I think I found my walking around lens. Cheesy plastic construction but small and I love the results.

Attachment 34821

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took my 18-55 to the Sony Style store in Costa Mesa along with pictures showing the comparisons between it and the M 40/2 and the poor sharpness, even at center. I also printed pictures of the tests at 55 MM where it was even softer. All of these images were contrary to the DPR test showing the lens to be sharp at 55mm. We did a quick couple of test shots in the store comparing it to the floor sample and one could see it was softer though harder to see on the small screen compared to my big iMac screen or the 8.5 x 11 prints I made. In any case they swapped the lens for me and gave me a new one. Very nice since they had to finagle the system to allow the exchange. I have taken some test shots this evening using the new 18-55 versus the 40/2 and there is a definite improvement in the early testing.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@barjohn
    Nice to hear they swapped it. I had the same thing happen to me with my first Canon S90. The lens was -really- unsharp and my local store swapped it after I showed them some printed pictures.

Btw: My experience is that the 18-55mm is best at around 35mm. 55mm is not crap but also not really nice. (use f8 for better results) This conclusion is what I also heard many times in my- standard- german forum.

Have a nice day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fotoingo,
    So far it appears to be much better. Today I will test on foliage outside that should give me a better idea as that is a tough test on a lens at near infinity. I will post my results when I get a chance. It is still dark outside now and I have to go to work so it won't be for a while.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

helicopter rig with the nex-5 and 18-55.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...-wildlife.html

Post Thanks / Like

Evening on Front Street Lewes DE

A quaint old Swedish seashore town in the state of Delaware which retains its beauty especially at night when the crowds are gone. Shot with a NEX5 and a Contax G 45 f2 lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update on replacement lens. It is much better than the prior copy. It still doesn't match the older Leica/Minolta Rokkor 40/2 but at 24mm f5.6 it comes much closer. At 40mm it is closer than the prior copy but still just not as sharp, especially across the frame.

The 18-55 seems to really shine its best at 24mm f 5.6 or f 8.0 in my experience.
    V/r John

GaryW

Vivek: I have to believe that there will be an EVF for Nex. Maybe not at the price I'd like to pay, though.

Jim: are extension tubes a good way to go for macro? The Kenko ones are expensive, but the cheap ones don't pass through any info, and apparently, I wouldn't be able to adjust aperture...

I had a slightly bigger subject this past weekend:

DSC01654 by avidgamefan, on Flickr

Barjohn: congrats on the lens replacement! I've tried a couple of A-mount lenses, and I think my primes are probably a bit sharper, but it's hard to argue with the kit lens. It just works well, the photos look good....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary great capture.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, I'm kinda old school ..... I learned photography when extension tubes were what we used for macro ( or bellows ) so it is just what I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Terry, did you ever get your 16nn lens? What is your impression of it?

Post Thanks / Like

The Rokkor 40/2 is one of the sharpest lenses I've owned so I'm not surprised the kit lens is having trouble keeping up.

tm

Update on replacement lens. It is much better than the prior copy. It still doesn't match the older Leica/Minolta Rokkor 40/2 but at 24mm f5.6 it comes much closer. At 40mm it is closer than the prior copy but still just not as sharp, especially across the frame.

The 18-55 seems to really shine its best at 24mm f 5.6 or f 8.0 in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As sharp as it is, and it is very sharp it didn't match the sharpness of the Leica 28/2.8 Asph I had, or the 50 cron.
    V/r John

espressogeek

Does anyone have any shots with a NEX and the Konica 50/1.2 that they can post to here?

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some with my Voigtländer glass, mainly the 50mm f1.5 Nokton and the 90mm f3.5 APO Lanthar. Shot on a tripod.

Attachment 34935 Attachment 34937

Attachment 34934 Attachment 34936

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 8th July 2011 at 08:51.

espressogeek

Does anyone have any shots with a NEX and the Konica 50/1.2 that they can post to here?

Post Thanks / Like

A few more with the NEX 5 and Voigtländer glass, mainly the 90mm f3.5 APO Lanthar. Shot handheld.

At a local car show.
    Attachment 34993

Attachment 34992

This is straight out of the camera other than some minor exposure work in ACR.
    Attachment 34991

Attachment 34994

I love this camera!
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 8th July 2011 at 08:51.

Post Thanks / Like

does the cv 90/3.5 beat the leica 90's?

Post Thanks / Like

Ken,

Sorry, I don't have both. I've had Leica 90s before, both the f2 and f2.8, but never at the same time as the Voigtländer 90. Regardless, the Voigtländer can certainly hold its own, as you can see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a great lens. The smoothness is lovely. Your photos make another plus for the NEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On my hardrive I found some pictures I shot some weeks ago in the Romberpark.
    Those shots were shot without a tripod at dawn with no sun.
    All pics are Iso 400 and times ranging from 1/80th down to 1/30th and even 1/15th.
    Contax G 90mm and MAYBE Contax G 45mm

Flowers... Everywhere I look . Flowers !
    (Maybe I will shoot something else in the near (winter) future, haha)

-You have to click the pictures twice to get the full 1200 pix picture on your monitor.-

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful, Ingo!

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

lovely shots with G 90mm! the NEX 5 seems to be very good, the only thing that keeps me back from buying one is the temptation to get FF.

newworld666

I own a 5DMKII ... but NEX5 is really a very good complement. And can be a good start.