The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UK1

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Another nob question from someone at the very steep end of the learning curve .......:D

Plan A was to ignore raw and simply leave the camera on Fine. But now I've started to explore some of the raw images I've taken in the included Image Data Converter and then playing with the output in Elements 8 and it is gradually dawning on me (I'm a slow learner) how much more creative and how much more control the opportunities saving in raw format opens up.

This has now made me think I should save in raw!

What I'm struggling to understand is why and under what circumstances would someone save in both raw and fine jpg at the same time or indeed in jpg if one can control in raw?

I'd appreciate some of the thoughts to consider when choosing.

Thanks.

Jeff

M

Masterbrew

Yes, in focus options, switch to the selectable focus area. Confirm the center focus. Now the shooting tips soft key is replaced by a focus key.
Ah, but then I lose multipoint focusing :/

peterv

What I'm struggling to understand is why and under what circumstances would someone save in both raw and fine jpg at the same time or indeed in jpg if one can control in raw?
Well, each shooter might have his/her own reasons, but one example is for using the jpgs as quick reference.
I shoot RAW + JPG and save the latter in my Aperture Library to always have an overview of all the photo's I took. Than I develop the keepers in CS5, DXO or Phocus, etc.

Hope this helps

Terry

I'd appreciate some of the thoughts to consider when choosing.

Thanks.

Jeff
I haven't played with the NEX in B&W yet but on the Panasonic cameras they have a film mode called dynamic B&W and does a really good job with rendering the scene and the tonality. When you shoot in this mode you also get B&W on the viewfinder. Shooting RAW + jpeg I get a full color RAW to work with and a B&W jpeg with everything I saw on the viewfinder.

I will also shoot RAW + jpeg if I'm traveling, will want to send off some shots in an email and won't really have any computer time to work on the images. Or if I'm with friends and they will want the pictures and I won't want to "process" the ones that they want. This way I can just give them a CD of the jpegs.

Other than that instance I generally just shoot raw because I find the process of making a jpeg is very quick in LR and I end up with less duplication on my computer hard drives.

U

UK1

Many thanks for the guidance with respect to RAW. In fact the B&W creative mode on the NEX only saves in B&W for both raw and jpeg.

Luckilly the system has lots of storage space and I've a few sdhc cards so I'll record everything in bgoth until I know more about what I'm doing.

Thanks again for the time and guidance.

Jeff

V

Vivek

My Sony fisheye adapter arrived today. Not really impressed. Center seems OK but it deteriorates pretty noticeably. No need for anyone to rush out and get your hands on this.
Exactly as I expected! Sony did not disappoint me at all. :)

barjohn

Here is a quick screen shot of a comparison between the Leica M8 and Sony NEX with 40mm Cron. Not a scientific test as they were shot at different times with different lenses and Sony shot at ISO 400 and Leica shot at ISO 160. The Sony is the JPG from camera and the Leica is a DNG conversion.

M

Masterbrew

Here is a quick screen shot of a comparison between the Leica M8 and Sony NEX with 40mm Cron. Not a scientific test as they were shot at different times with different lenses and Sony shot at ISO 400 and Leica shot at ISO 160. The Sony is the JPG from camera and the Leica is a DNG conversion.
Dunno what to make of that picture, isn't there too many changed variables? Lighting, time, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, RAW, JPG etc.

barjohn

Make of it what your eyes tell you. Disregard color and lighting and look at sharpness, image pop, etc. You can take other factors into consideration like ISO 400 vs ISO 160 and APS-H vs APS-C and see what appeals to you. For me, the Sony looks better. It has a clarity that is missing from the Leica M8 shot and the M8 had all the advantages. Larger sensor, raw conversion, better Leica lens, a LR 3 color profile, etc. This indicates to me that the Sony is out performing it with more obstacles to overcome. For you, it may be something else.

barjohn

Terry,

I will be anxious to see your results with the CV and Leica lenses you have. Having just received the 16mm, the only good things I can say are it is small, light and very sharp in the center. Not quite Leica sharp but close.

Terry

Minor detail. My adapters are on the slow boat from China. Missed the express shipping option when I paid for them. They were shipped the 7th so it could be another week plus of agony

Terry

John,
Not sure what you mean when you say you are running out of space. In the gallery? Why do you post as screen shots and not save the image as a jpeg? I have no idea of how screen shots are saved and then repost in terms of quality.

barjohn

The screen shots are JPGs converted from PNGs on the Mac. When I do uploads using the advanced feature it limits me on attachments to 20mb. I haven't used the gallery feature yet. Not quite sure how to get to it and then use it in a post. I have run out of attachment space many times so I just go and delete the oldest ones which leaves older posts without the image that was originally part of the post. I thought there was going to be a way to pay and have greater space but I haven't seen that either. Maybe you would be so kind as to explain it all. :) I use screen shots because LR and Bibble 5 Pro let me do side by side comparisons on screen but I can't export that comparison (at least to my knowledge).

Go ahead... :deadhorse:

Terry

OK,
Try this.
Go to the top of the page on the left it says Gallery. Click on that. Then you will see over to the right where it says upload. Click that. You will see a screen that most forums use to upload. Pick your files and then scroll down to where it says category. That will give you a whole list to chose from. Just pick the Regular member. Once you've uploaded the shots you will be able to see each one and there will be two URLs at the bottom and chose the first url. Go back to the post and use the little landscape icon and past the url into that icon.

Here are the more detailed instructions from your fearless leaders!

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54

M

mhlvos

re: Fun With Sony _____

Very funny the fly with the flag. :)

A gannet "Are you talking to me?"

V

Vivek

Well, I (part) traded in the NX10 kit for a NEX-5 kit (16/2.8) in boring black.

No body cap or lens cap came with it.

Terry

Well, I (part) traded in the NX10 kit for a NEX-5 kit (16/2.8) in boring black.

No body cap or lens cap came with it.
I'm looking forward to this..seeing if Sony continues to live up to expectations :p

Status
Not open for further replies.