The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I'm looking forward to this..seeing if Sony continues to live up to expectations :p
Terry, Your Bay area pano, as I said earlier, did impress me. :)

If a tiny camera package is capable of doing something like that so nicely and at ~ half the price of the 7-14 pana zoom lens alone the choice is clear.

Jono, Despite the absent caps (which I was prepared for), I do like the camera strap that comes with it.

For the first time, I find a camera strap that does not advertise for a camera company in indelible bright colors. :thumbs:

jonoslack

Terry, Your Bay area pano, as I said earlier, did impress me. :)

If a tiny camera package is capable of doing something like that so nicely and at ~ half the price of the 7-14 pana zoom lens alone the choice is clear.

Jono, Despite the absent caps (which I was prepared for), I do like the camera strap that comes with it.

For the first time, I find a camera strap that does not advertise for a camera company in indelible bright colors. :thumbs:
Well, the leica straps don't either :ROTFL:
I'll be really interested in your results.
Just in case you wondered - I'm really interested in this camera - I liked the interface and the handling, the IQ, the build quality, the price and the 24mm lens too.
What I didn't like was the kit lens, the lack of AF on the Sony lenses and the lack or RAW support in Aperture - which is enough to keep me away from warehouseexpress for the time being!
all the best

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Vivek, I held my pen-f 38 f/1.9 (in the Pen-F to m4/3 adapter) up to the NEX5 and took a test shot with the lens wide open. It looked really promising. The 20 f/3.5 Pen-F may vignette. The proper adapter is coming soon.

V

Vivek

Jono, Thanks. Will do (just a few more days before I take off, so...).

Cindy, Yes, definitely! I will try to cobble something with the RJ c-mount adapter to fit the pen F lenses very soon. The 40/1.4 is a gem.

Quickly, c-mount lenses...the 50/1.2 Fujinon-TV appears to do fine as does the 75/1.8. The 35/1.7 vignettes. My GE 36/1.1 also vignettes. no hope for anything lower.

The battery really sucks. A power hog.:eek: I have to find some spares real quick.

I did buy Sony's LCD plastic cover (PCK-LH1EM) along with the cam. This is really a must for any NEX owner and I highly recommend it!

The cam as received has little IR sensitivity (only grainy deep red images) and surprisingly (very similar to) some UV sensitivity (tripod territory). Visible images appear sharp and bright with little noise at ISO1600.

Jono, Yes, the interface isn't half as bad as it has been criticised. I still have not opened the manual and still could operate the cam to snap pics.

Despite the absent EVF, I am happy to have exchanged the NX10. Manual focus is clearly easy and is a joy!:clap:

Jono, Oh, yes! the Leica straps (I do have a few. ;))!

Terry

Vivek, apparently the battery gets better after a couple of cycles but agree...spare is a must.

The only thing I needed to go to the manual for was HDR. You need to go in an physically turn RAW capture off to make HDR a selectable option.

Also - don't overlook on some choices the bottom button gives you additional options. For instance on bracketing or HDR when you are setting those the bottom button comes into play to adjust the amount (like the EV spread).

Last hint on Panos - Change the direction to down and hold camera in portrait position for a wide view that isn't as narrow as the regular pano.

barjohn

On the battery, it seems to drop very quickly initially but the rate of decline decreases as the % goes down so the end result is more shots than you at first think you will get based on the rate of initial decline.

jonoslack

Jono, Oh, yes! the Leica straps (I do have a few. ;))!
Funny about the Leica straps, I think they are the cheapest thing they make, but the design is really good, lightweight, strong, discrete, easy to fit (doesn't break your fingernails) . . . . .and what does everyone do? swap them for expensive leather ones!

sebboh

Vivek, I held my pen-f 38 f/1.9 (in the Pen-F to m4/3 adapter) up to the NEX5 and took a test shot with the lens wide open. It looked really promising. The 20 f/3.5 Pen-F may vignette. The proper adapter is coming soon.
i've been using the the pen f 42mm you sold me on the NEX 3 for a couple days and i'm really liking it. thanks again.

i haven't used the camera strap at all (looking to get a wrist strap) but i am also a big fan of it's lack of gratuitous brand labeling.

V

Vivek

I think I will buy a few of these (NEXs) next month or thereafter, especially when some promo comes (hopefully, Sony will make bodycaps and lens rear caps by then or someone from PRC would make them).

Terrific sensor!:thumbs:

I have to check if Panorama can be done at all with manual focus lenses!
(Any idea, anyone?)

Oddly, surprisingly, even with manual lenses mounted, the face recognition still works!

Metering is just fine.

I will look for another battery (79 Euros!!!). I am not confident with this single one. Even when it shows 1% power, the camera works (barely) but I don't like to shoot with such low power with any digicam.

sebboh

I have to check if Panorama can be done at all with manual focus lenses!
(Any idea, anyone?)
just tried it out and panorama appears to work with manual lenses :clap:. looks fine in playback haven't looked at the file on my computer.

V

Vivek

Thanks, sebboh.:) I will play around with that later.

V

Vivek

I am yet to play around with the cam's settings. I am glad that RJ shipped the c-mount adapter quickly (which was the tipping point for the NEX purchase!).
I could hold the pen F lenses inside the c-mount. A permanent adapter solution is in the works.

Here a few casual snaps indoors.

NEX-5, Olympus pen F 40/1.4 @1.4, ISO800, 1/160s

NEX-5, Fujinon-TV 50/1.2 @1.2, ISO800, 1/400s

NEX-5, Olympus pen F 42/1.2 @1.2, ISO200, 1/400s

100% crop (lighting was difficult and the lens was not firmly secured)

These were converted by Sony RAW (very basic), Tiff files adjusted ever so slightly for contrast, resized and slight sharpening for web.

This sensor (I don't know if I can bring myself to calling the NEX a camera, yet) needs good lenses.

I made ~2 snaps with the 16/2.8. I did not even bother to look at it again. Sony did not disappoint at all.:rolleyes:

Doesn't Zeiss make lenses for Sony???????

Last edited:

jonoslack

Splendid Vivek . . .not sure that the (your?) lad is so keen in the second shot though!
all the best

V

Vivek

The 16/2.8 focuses even quieter than any manual focus lenses I tried. Clearly, this one is made for videos (I have not pressed the video button yet). If it isn't for the focus points in the display I would not have been aware that the lens was auto focusing. A real shame.

V

Vivek

Splendid Vivek . . .not sure that the (your?) lad is so keen in the second shot though!
all the best
Thanks, Jono.

He has a Lumix (FP-2) so he is kind of OK, for now.;)

barjohn

Vivek, surprisingly clear and sharp images for hand holding the thing together. Really nice portrait on second shot of boy (your son?). I like the rendition.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Vivek, Very nice. The second portrait is my favorite.

Sebboh, I'm glad that you are enjoying the 42 f/1.2. It is a beautiful lens.

V

Vivek

John, Thanks. Yes and he knows what he was posing for.;)

Those with old lenses (Olympus Pen F and Leica in particular because of the compactness and the clarity they offer) would be able to make good use of these sensors, I think.

The pen F lenses, though just held in front, were fairly well placed inside c-mount and the fast shutter speeds do some justice.

I am pleasantly surprised at the DR, low noise the NEX is capable of. Especially compared to the NX10. Simply awesome.

The colors, I will have to work with these later to come to a more acceptable set. But they are very close.

Unlike, the m4/3rds (G1), the fuzz is less with the NEX and the bokeh is less "dreamy" (I like it).

V

Vivek

Cindy, Thanks. I now suspect that your 20/3.5 also is also going to be A OK.:thumbs:

The 25/2.8 appears to be not bothered by its original hood at all. Whatever vignetting I saw earlier with the NX10 may be due to incorrect orientation!

Terry

Vivek - nice to see you "smile" again. :D

Surprising things can come in small packages. :ROTFL:

These look good :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.