The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Shadow in the setting sun. I was back in Phila for business and had dinner with my mother and sister last night.

NEX 5 Contax G 35mm -

Diane B

Shadow in the setting sun. I was back in Phila for business and had dinner with my mother and sister last night.

NEX 5 Contax G 35mm -

I like this one. The addition of the slats (blind, shutters, etc) with the silhouette adds an extra element.

If you use an SD card its even easier. You simply put the SD in the end of the CC. You turn on the Ipad, insert the CC in the charger port and the rest is done for you. The Photo app opens showing all your image files. You can choose the files to upload, keep or delete the files from the card.

I tried a liitle video clip from the GF1 this afternoon--assume it would be the same with the NEX. I used jpeg.mov instead of AVCHD and it was also a very simple upload. Card into CC, CC into charger port and that's it

Very nice little tute video.
wanted to see if apple and sony played nice together - the sd card is easier though.

MPK2010

I actually went to the store today with intent (and wallet) . . but started fooling with a Pentax K7 and their limited primes while I was waiting, and now I'm having confusions!
I actually tried that camera + the 31 limited and a few others for a few weeks before getting the A850 last winter. Nice color, nice lenses and relatively small, but I ran into an image stabilization issue with multiple bodies (which I would have to guess has since been fixed) and that was that. To my eye, the NEX + M results are nicer (at higher ISO there's really no question), but I think the real issue for me is I really don't need another full-size SLR at this point, even one as small and nicely-built as the K7!

jonoslack

I actually tried that camera + the 31 limited and a few others for a few weeks before getting the A850 last winter. Nice color, nice lenses and relatively small, but I ran into an image stabilization issue with multiple bodies (which I would have to guess has since been fixed) and that was that. To my eye, the NEX + M results are nicer (at higher ISO there's really no question), but I think the real issue for me is I really don't need another full-size SLR at this point, even one as small and nicely-built as the K7!
I'm just thinking back to joyful (simple) days with the Olympus E1, The K7 reminded me so much of that. It wouldn't impact on the Sony or Leica side of things, but neither M4/3 or the NEX is small enough to go bagless, and if you have a small bag then the K7 and a couple of primes fit nicely . . . . and it's weatherproof (I'm the guy who has had 3 cameras die a watery death!)

C

Coms37

Hello everyone,

I have been "ghosting/lurking" this thread for the past weeks (very informative and great shots) and now had to sign up because I have a question.

I have recently received my Nex with the zoom-kit lens and I am actually perfectly happy with it, however I would treasure a high speed 70-90mm fixed focus lens for portraits and close ups of my kid, cats, wife, friends and (some) family members. I would prefer AF lenses, but Manual focus would be fine as well. I have already ordered a Leica M adapter, so a 90mm Summicron would be a possibility: I gather Zeiss Lenses must be great but there are lots of other brands with which I have no experience whatsoever, and as mentioned I do enjoy using AF, it makes matters a tad more simplistic for me at least

Is their something like a best "portrait" lens for the Nex?

I plan to purchase a dedicated Nex for this for I dislike changing lenses all the time. Actually I'm a huge bloke with fingers like mid-sized italian salami sausages and apart from that extremely clumsy, but I do so enjoy the "small" things of life, like the Nex and the X1 .... So size wouldn't be an issue. The only thing that keeps me from lugging my D3 around is the lack of a 70/90 compatible lens on a Nex body. I purchased the X1 a couple of months ago, long before I had even heard about the Nex, I like it very much, I like it's simplicity and quality, but now would think that a Nex might of been an evenly adequate solution, and definitely a cheaper one.

Any any suggestions are welcome.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Hello everyone,

Is their something like a best "portrait" lens for the Nex?

There are no other AF Lenses for the Nex than the 16mm and the 18-55 right now.

Do you want a 90mm lens (which is 135mm equivalent on the NEX) or a "real" 90mm lens ? (Which would be a 60mm lens )

I can recommend the Contax G 90mm f 2,8 alot ! Superb sharpness, nice bokeh und a real bargain !
Otherwise the 45mm Contax G is ecellent too. It would be a 70mm on the NEX.

The Leica equivalent lenses cost 10 times the money of the Contax lenses.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Ingo

retow

Hello everyone,

I have been "ghosting/lurking" this thread for the past weeks (very informative and great shots) and now had to sign up because I have a question.

I have recently received my Nex with the zoom-kit lens and I am actually perfectly happy with it, however I would treasure a high speed 70-90mm fixed focus lens for portraits and close ups of my kid, cats, wife, friends and (some) family members. I would prefer AF lenses, but Manual focus would be fine as well. I have already ordered a Leica M adapter, so a 90mm Summicron would be a possibility:
For a 75mm equivalent focal length have a look at CV's 50mm Noktons, f1.5 or f1.1 are available, or Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50mm f1.5. Not so high speed, but fast enough, the CV 75mm f2.5 is a bargain (112mm equiv.)
The 90 cron you mention will be 135mm equiv. on the Nex and quite a beast on the tiny body. The thin tele elmarit could be an alternative (f2,8). All MF of course.

C

Coms37

you must excuse my ignorance towards technical photo-stuff, on my Nikon D90 I really enjoyed the 85mm 1.4 and used this quite a lot, on my D3 the 85mm seems just a tad short for my needs, but ok though, I guess this is the difference between FF and DX which I fully understand (I think)

So any setup between, say 90 and 135mm based upon FF will be great. I would prefer AF because manually focussing my 85 1.4, at 1.4 is quite difficult and requires some time, so working AF on any of these focal lengths should be fine.

IQ is important up to a point that I don't pixel peep ever and am actually quite pleased with the standard kit zoom. I do however print, on average 18x13 andd 30x20cm or so with an exception up to 60/40 and sometimes larger if people require it.

As for color rendition, I dislike "poppy" disney-colors, if the subject allows it I like to do shallow/natural colors and of course natural skin tones.

As an historian I also do quite a lot of antiquities, where sharpness is important, but unnatural sharpness and contrast destroys the reality slightly.

As for rendition... further... I like the Leica X1 35mm rendition, but find the Asph. 50mm cron to much of a "optimality" on digital, whereas I love this lens on analog.

Perhaps it would help to mention that I do 50% B/W and that a tri-x (at 200/320) - rodinal solution provides the most beautiful imagery (personally that is) But having seen Steinmullers B/W's here on the thread will certainly set me off in other directions...

Pfew ... that was it, thanks ...

Terry

Coms37,
Right now there is no solution on the Autofocus front. Only the two E mount lenses AF on the NEX. Manual focus on the NEX would be the equivalent to using live view to focus on the Nikons. If you have a little patience two ideas come to mind....however, as you get to these longer focal lengths manually focusing with the NEX screen in magnify mode and razor thin depth of field isn't that easy.

1) See if there are any NEX lens announcements in the next month leading into the Photokina industry event in September.

2) Sony has a large but excellent Zeiss 85mm lens. It won't (at least for now) autofocus on the NEX but the aperture wheel on the back of the camera will control the aperture. There is talk that eventually these lenses with AF on the NEX cameras.

3) This week Sony announced another 85mm lens meant for their APS-c sensor cameras. It will hit the shelves in the next few months. Will work similar to number 2 above but will be smaller and lighter.

4) There are tons of other lenses on the market made for rangefinders. These lenses are smaller than many dslr lenses because they were designed already for cameras without a mirror and to sit closer to the sensor. So, the adapters for these lenses are thinner. I have the Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 mm lens. I haven't yet tried it on the NEX. People have mentioned the 90mm Contax G.

Hopefully this little bit is helpful. By the way, WELCOME !!! :clap:

C

Coms37

For a 75mm equivalent focal length have a look at CV's 50mm Noktons, f1.5 or f1.1 are available, or Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50mm f1.5. Not so high speed, but fast enough, the CV 75mm f2.5 is a bargain (112mm equiv.)
The 90 cron you mention will be 135mm equiv. on the Nex and quite a beast on the tiny body. The thin tele elmarit could be an alternative (f2,8). All MF of course.
As for "beasts" on my body, I agree that things can get to large/out of proportion, but I started with Hasselblad 3 lens combos and a TLR Rolleiflex, lightmeter, 10 filters, then when I got the IQ under control used the Leica M6 with 4 lenses always accompanied by my Rolleiflex, and when going digital I had my D90 and D3 with the 24-70 the 12.24 and 85 1.4 ... now with the Nex and the X1 I see a "break" for my back just lugging 2 Nex'es and an X1 ... easy peasy.

It really proves that evolution of cameras is a good thing, even if there are some old stick in the muds complaining about corner to corner sharpness of these "cheapo" solutions, which, if you're into achieving the best possible result will be important, but for people like me whom academically "take shots" of archeological digs, artifacts and details this new evolution of small sized digital stuff is highly appealing in terms of weight and IQ. One thing however is the opticality of the view (sorry for my english, it's not optimal) I can do the Nex with the screen pretty easily, but would appreciate a nice viewfinder, not all that important, but would be nice... perhaps in the near future. By no means is the lack of one of these a set back for me, I love my Nex just as much as I do my X1 with viewfinder...

Anyway enough for me, having quite a slow day at university, students are on holiday, other staff are getting pleasurably drunk and I just rant about photography :)

C

Coms37

Coms37,
Right now there is no solution on the Autofocus front. Only the two E mount lenses AF on the NEX. Manual focus on the NEX would be the equivalent to using live view to focus on the Nikons. If you have a little patience two ideas come to mind....however, as you get to these longer focal lengths manually focusing with the NEX screen in magnify mode and razor thin depth of field isn't that easy.

1) See if there are any NEX lens announcements in the next month leading into the Photokina industry event in September.

2) Sony has a large but excellent Zeiss 85mm lens. It won't (at least for now) autofocus on the NEX but the aperture wheel on the back of the camera will control the aperture. There is talk that eventually these lenses with AF on the NEX cameras.

3) This week Sony announced another 85mm lens meant for their APS-c sensor cameras. It will hit the shelves in the next few months. Will work similar to number 2 above but will be smaller and lighter.

4) There are tons of other lenses on the market made for rangefinders. These lenses are smaller than many dslr lenses because they were designed already for cameras without a mirror and to sit closer to the sensor. So, the adapters for these lenses are thinner. I have the Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 mm lens. I haven't yet tried it on the NEX. People have mentioned the 90mm Contax G.

Hopefully this little bit is helpful. By the way, WELCOME !!! :clap:

Thank you for the info .... I might wait a while for "number 3 solution" or any further announcements...

and how is it that folk on this forum are friendly, cooperative and helpfull, not many fora's meet these standards ... chapeau to all contributors here!

C

Coms37

With the appropriate adapter, will normal Sony AF lenses focus on the Nex?

Terry

With the appropriate adapter, will normal Sony AF lenses focus on the Nex?
No, not for the moment and not clear if ever. Reports were that this functionality was working with the adapter on pre-production cameras. However it was disabled when the camera launched. It was said that the AF wasn't as accurate as Sony would have liked. It isn't yet clear if this is a temporary or permanent elimination of this feature. Sony has not committed to AF with the current Sony A mount lens line-up.

My buying decision on any Sony A mount lens has assumed that it will never AF on NEX....that way I can't be disappointed if it takes too long or doesn't happen.

retow

Got my M-mount adapter last night. Morning shots through a not so clean window, NEX 5 with cron AA 90, F8, jpegs untouched. Sharp, details, if it was RAW......

Last edited:
C

Coms37

Retow,

could you manage a shot "straight" as through not through not so clean windows, but in the open air sort of thing?

retow

Retow,

could you manage a shot "straight" as through not through not so clean windows, but in the open air sort of thing?
Handheld, after 2 European style coffees and half a red bull;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.