Site Sponsors
Page 65 of 147 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,250 of 7320

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I bet that 20 minute drive could get closer to 15 minutes going to get it. Who cares about the minutes going back. Could be a long drive back if the battery were charged up so you could stop and create.

Don't forget your WATE and adapter as you rush out to hop into the car.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Oh Dear
    My anguish is quite different - a 20 minute drive bags me the camera, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet
    You have to leave the warm house and get in a cold car, may be face a traffic jam and all the way to the store wonder why you are doing this, while you could have a quiet conversation with a good glass.

It's much better to have it delivered at your neighbour, one makes friends that way.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The wait continues for me too, but from what I am seeing, the sensor is quite temperamental, and as I had guessed, the camera should do best with 35 mm and longer, and certain wides of certain design. I was suprised by the vignetting (?) seen with the 50 Noct and Lux shots that Tim posted above...a bit disappointed there...I get my first test tomorrow, though I may not have my camera for 1-2 weeks yet, from the looks of it....though, gosh, I still marvel at the RX1R files and how perfect that camera is for so many purposes...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone have any ideas why the test images with the 0.95 Noctilux by Marc and W.Utsch vs. those byTim seem different re. vignetting? Was there any PP for Marc's & W.Utsch's?
    Last edited by Shac; 22nd November 2013 at 20:16.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Here is how some Olympus pen F lenses behave on the A7R (all at infinity) and without a hood.

Pen-F-test-1 by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Edit: When the front filter ring is removed, the 38/1.8 is devoid of the corner clipping (there is still light fall off at f/1.8 that evens up by f/5.6). Will check the others soon.
    Thanks for posting these. Great news about the Pen F 60/1.5 on the A7R. Have you tried the 38/3.5 Macro? Hopefully my A7R will arrive on Monday...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Hi, I'm Tim, I'll be your enabler today

Joking. Don't unless you're feeling like a total impulse buy: I am not convinced yet...
    Tim: Too late. You can't counsel a truly addictive camera buyer! The negative experiences of other users, also has no effect. About a week to my 'fix'.

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like

Before Sunrise, Hong Kong
    Sony A7R & Leica Super Elmar 21mm
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Rodenstock | Schneider | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Anyone have any ideas why the test images with the 0.95 Noctilux by Marc and W.Utsch vs. those by Tim seem different re. vignetting? Was there any PP for Marc's & W.Utsch's?
    Tim's may be the pre-asph f/1.0 Noctilux version, which even vignettes on an M. Whether it does as much, more, or less, on the A7R I couldn't tell you.

Interestingly, I often add vignetting to many images, especially portraits and wedding photos. Obviously the difference is one of control, but I personally rarely correct natural vignetting if it happens ... like the way it used to with the f/1.0 Noctilux and most any wide-angle lens.

The importance or lack of importance of vignetting with wide angle lenses depends on applications and use of the lens in question.

I use a 21mm in order to correct the inevitable perspective distortions when shooting hand-held candids or environmental images. I almost never use a M camera on a tripod, and suspect I would not do so with the A7R. So, by the time corrections are done, corners and edges are cropped out anyway ... 36 meg helps keep the resolution loss reasonable.

For others, edges and corners are of paramount importance and can be a make it or break it factor.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

My Noctilux is an old one (think 2nd gen.) 50/1.0. It vignettes in the outer corners from 1.0 to 2.8 - from f4 on vignetting is gone. This is quite typical for that lens and in situations when you use it wide open (indoor, night scenes, portraits with shallow DOF, etc) nothing to bother. You can lighten up the corners in LR a bit but you can't get rid of them at F 1.0 completely. The Noctilux is and was never a sharp lens at 1.0, it has then a special character and glow - from F4.0 on i use it as a general purpose lens, if it is not to heavy to carry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    "It's no easy times..." I hear you, thorkil. I'm thinking I'll sit this one out as well. Moving from Nex 7 to A7 never made much sense to me, but the A7R has been enticing. But I'm not sure the hyperrealism that I'm seeing from this camera suits my photographic interests.

I'm so enamored with the GR's black and white output that I'm inclined to wait a bit and see what Ricoh comes up with. Of course, I may handle the A7R in my local camera store one day soon and find myself whipping out the credit card. It would not be my first impulsive camera purchase.

John
    Yes John..for my part I'm more and more convinced that a 7R just would leed to another and new frustration, mental and economic.
    I do think the Ricoh GR gives me almost 90% satisfaction compared to my expectations. The Nikon D800E, gave me hugh expectation, and I dreamt of sharpness at the Hassy SWC level. But it couln't live up to that. The D3 gave me disappointments for its somehow flat looking Pictures, and its enormous bulk. But it was as effective as no one else. You could quickly turn around point it just against the sun, and fire away without any hesitation, it was always able to figure it out, and light was superb (in Matrix-setting). A splendid, effective and with a lot of forgiveness builded in(but almost too effective, which leads to taken everything for granted, and getting spoiled), workhorse inside and outside Buildings and walking in the street doing hasty hip-snaps with a 20mm with preset distance. Perfect, but the bulk(!)
    But the issue with 36 Mp demands patience from the shooter, steadiness, higher speed rates, higher aperture to get the best result, unless its ok with very shallow dof (or what it looks like, I guess). And that I'm able to do when I walk with a tripod and a SWC, but otherwise, no.
    Beside the GR I just need a workhorse with forgiveness, that can do high ISO's, wide shots, and be effective, so I can fire away, also when people are distracting me talking in my ear. That might be a Nikon once more, a D610 (but this time with no hugh expectations), or, if I can wait and see if Ricoh come up with a full frame GXR for my M-lenses (and high iso too, please), THAT could be wonderful.
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Tow more "beasts":

DSC05102.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

A7R with Noctilux

DSC05103.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

With Canon TSE 24/3.5 II and Metabones Smart III

Sure it is getting big, but the TSE on the 5DMKII is still much bigger - and the quality of the A7R files is fantastic !

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    Thanks for posting these. Great news about the Pen F 60/1.5 on the A7R. Have you tried the 38/3.5 Macro? Hopefully my A7R will arrive on Monday...
    Yes, Jonathon. This is one lens that promises moire, wide open. For infinity, the filter has to be altered to remove the dark corners and for close ups (near 1/4X to 1/2X) the rear baffle has to go. I will do them.

In case anyone is wondering why bother with these lenses, these are more useful (closer focusing) than the Leica lenses and are as tiny (or tinier) and lighter.

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post

Sure it is getting big, but the TSE on the 5DMKII is still much bigger - and the quality of the A7R files is fantastic !
    Awww, I'd love to see some examples of that combo! How much tilt and shift is possible on the A7R, or is that restricted in some way due to the adapter design perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Examples will come, right know i have no time to go out with tripod etc. and we have pretty bad weather...
    Don't want to show test pics taken in my office......or out the window...

The first shots i took with the TSE and no tilt/shifts are outstanding, but this was to be expected with that lens and the large image circle.

Post Thanks / Like

What settings are people using for:
    - electronic first curtain shutter
    - high iso noise reduction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Angry Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Okay. I hate ALL of you. I just cracked. collecting from WEX on Monday.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was waiting for you to go down in flames. LOL

I'm in holding pattern . Actually waiting for next year for tax reasons.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I hate ALL of you. I just cracked. collecting from WEX on Monday.
    Less of a crack from where there rest of us were standing: we were behind the yellow tape with popcorn waiting for the controlled explosion. Did anyone get a photo?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

PS Jono am just now uploading a rather picturesque brick wall series on the F1 Nocti and the 50mm Lux and I have to say that for a near-ish subject with plenty of detail, when viewed 1:1 on a Retina screen, the Lux has acceptable corners at F5.6 and tight ones at F8, at which aperture diffraction has done limited damage. Very nice performance and though I have done no direct comparison, my conclusion on the same lens on an M240 was that it also needed F8 to 'get there'. So I think the A7R is a very viable camera on which to use this lens.

For the Nocti, F11 is needed to get the corners very nearly as tight as the Lux at F8 and consequently the centre gets slightly more dulled by diffraction but actually, the result is great and is eminently useable. Again, across the aperture range, the conclusions are remarkably similar to those I reached when using the lens on the M240. So though my M lenses of wider angles than this are to varied extents problematic, I would use either of these and feel privileged to do so, if I wanted a nicely resolved image across the frame.

Starting here...
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

| leica vario-elmarit-r 1:2.8-4.5/28-90 asph |
    Bart ...
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Tim. I'll have a look later.

Bart. Congratulations. What's the verdict on the 28-90? Which adapter are you using?

All the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just received my A7r yesterday. I went to the park for a few snaps.

As an aside, I had a NEX/A7 battery charged and waiting. I didn't read the manual or I would have known that you need to put the A7/A7r on the power cord and charge it up the first time. I was plagued the whole time that I was out by the Set Date/Time message. I would set the date and time and as soon as it went to sleep, or I turned it off, the message appeared again. The internal battery needs to be charged. It did not accept the date/time until the new battery was charged to 75% on the power cord.

Orange boathouse was taken with 50 Summilux ASPH, the other two with 50 Rigid Cron, all on Hawk helicoid adapter.

-Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, this forum has a history of happily taking all blame for you and others (myself included) for cracking on new gear. Look forward to seeing/hearing how it works out for you.

Tim, I am curious how the RX1 and A7R / 35mm compare. I too have the RX1 and have been extremely pleased with it. However, I preordered the A7R the day it was announced. It will be another week or two before the US delivers begin so I will have to wait to do my own comparisons.

This thread is making me more and more anxious to get the camera. It has so many possibilities.
    Last edited by Mark Gowin; 23rd November 2013 at 08:43. Reason: correction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the verdict on the 28-90? Which adapter are you using?
    Jono, the 28-90 is seriously nose-heavy and therefore a bit of a lump on the tiny A7r.
    But it seems to deliver clean files at its wide end
    I have two E-mount Novoflex adapters, one for R and one for PK.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Jono, this forum has a history of happily taking all blame for you and others (myself included) for cracking on new gear. Look forward to seeing/hearing how it works out for you.

Tim, I am curious how the RX1 and A7R / 35mm compare. I too have the RX1 and have been extremely pleased with it. However, I preordered the A7R the day it was announced. It will be another week or two before the US delivers begin so I will have to wait to do my own comparisons.

This thread is making me more and more anxious to get the camera. It has so many possibilities.
    Hi Mark,

I haven't done any direct comparative shots - I felt I had a handle on the comparison just from seeing the files and from memory, but maybe I will: I was thinking of doing the same scene with M240/35Lux FLE vs D800E with Sigma 35mm Art lens vs RX1 vs A7R with 35 Lux FLE and hopefully soon the new 35mm F2.8

My guess is that the RX1 would still win over the 35 Lux and A7R, as well as over the Sigma/Nikon combo: it is a much less tricky lens than the 35 Lux FLE and has sharper edges than the Sigma. However, the RX1, even with colour shading corrections turned on in-camera, is not immune from casts. Of course, the choice of aperture will be key too: at F2 it would be a no-contest, the RX-1 will win hands down. But at F5.6 it might be a closer call between all the candidates, colour casts aside. Overall, if the new 35mm F2.8 can't match the RX-1 lens when shot at F2.8, F4 and F5.6, with colour cast correction and sharpness across the frame at least as good at the pixel level, I will be disappointed. If, when both files are printed to say a 20" print the RX-1 file is a clear winner, I will be a bit dismayed...

Post Thanks / Like

Was asked to show the TSE 24/3.5 II on the A7R.
    Here some shots from my living room (would not show these but it is to bad weather here - so as test shots)

DSC04157.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

0.9mm downshift F6.3

DSC04160.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

10 mm downshift, wide open F3.5, focus via tilt from the painting to the cardboard ottoman in the right front

You can see a little vignetting on the pic shot wide open (shifted and tilted), but imo a superb performance. At higher F-stops there is no vignetting an no Ca's
    See 100% at Flicker via klick!
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Enough!...I just broke down and ordered a Leica R 35-70mm f/4 and an adapter.

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how some Olympus pen F lenses behave on the A7R (all at infinity) and without a hood.

Edit: When the front filter ring is removed, the 38/1.8 is devoid of the corner clipping (there is still light fall off at f/1.8 that evens up by f/5.6). Will check the others soon.
    ..just for additional info..the 38 pancake also does not or hardly vignette..

Post Thanks / Like

..just fyi..the 38 pancake also does not vignette..which makes it the perfect street lens for me..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here some shots from my living room (would not show these but it is to bad weather here - so as test shots)

0.9mm downshift F6.3

10 mm downshift, wide open F3.5, focus via tilt from the painting to the cardboard ottoman in the right front

You can see a little vignetting on the pic shot wide open (shifted and tilted), but imo a superb performance. At higher F-stops there is no vignetting an no Ca's
    Very nice! I am kicking myself now for selling the 24 TSE II when I got rid of the 5DII earlier this year.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Enough!...I just broke down and ordered a Leica R 35-70mm f/4 and an adapter.

Cheers, Matt
    Hi Matt.
    We can compare notes. I have this lovely lens.
    I've ordered a meta ones R adapter, and a voigtlander M adapter.
    I'm also thinking of getting CY adapter for the 28/85 zoom, initially I should be able to stack.
    Don't have any AF lenses to go on it, so at least I won't be disappointed with the AF

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Jono, the 28-90 is seriously nose-heavy and therefore a bit of a lump on the tiny A7r.
    But it seems to deliver clean files at its wide end
    I have two E-mount Novoflex adapters, one for R and one for PK.

Kind regards.
    Hi Bart
    I'm not surprised its good. What a lovely lens.
    I've sold my 28-90 (it was worth too much to keep), but I'll be looking forward to trying the 35-70, 80-200, 60 macro,

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by psy501 View Post
    ..just fyi..the 38 pancake also does not vignette..which makes it the perfect street lens for me..
    I know. Look at an example I posted in this thread. Do post any photos that you take.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a M mount lens that has no problems like the Summicrons.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Sony A7R, M Rokkor 28/2.8, f/4, ISO500
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It not only performs superbly on the Leica MM, now on the A7R as well.

Sony A7R, M Rokkor 28/2.8, f/4, ISO640
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One sample from the M Rokkor 40/2.

Sony A7R, M Rokkor 40/2, f/2.8, ISO3200

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

0.9mm downshift F6.3

Nice living room!

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek

After the problems that you have shown regarding some of the pen F lenses this is great news with the CL lenses. I have the 28, 40 (minolta and summicron), 90 mm leica, and this will be my go too set.

Paul

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt.
    We can compare notes. I have this lovely lens.
    I've ordered a meta ones R adapter, and a voigtlander M adapter.
    I'm also thinking of getting CY adapter for the 28/85 zoom, initially I should be able to stack.
    Don't have any AF lenses to go on it, so at least I won't be disappointed with the AF
    Jono: Sounds good. I had it once before and loved it. I have the Metabones adapter on order. Now, if I can just find the Leica R to M adapter?

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of night shots at infinity.

Sony A7R, M Rokkor 28/2.8, f/8, ISO1600, 1/10s

Sony A7R, M Rokkor 28/2.8, f/8, ISO1600, 1/60s
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by camping View Post
    Vivek

After the problems that you have shown regarding some of the pen F lenses this is great news with the CL lenses. I have the 28, 40 (minolta and summicron), 90 mm leica, and this will be my go too set.

Paul
    Paul, You will enjoy them!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did I mention that I like the M Rokkor 28/2.8?

(there is a tiny bit of color moire in this shot, in the upper left- can be seen only ~200% size)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Just received my A7r yesterday. I went to the park for a few snaps.

As an aside, I had a NEX/A7 battery charged and waiting. I didn't read the manual or I would have known that you need to put the A7/A7r on the power cord and charge it up the first time. I was plagued the whole time that I was out by the Set Date/Time message. I would set the date and time and as soon as it went to sleep, or I turned it off, the message appeared again. The internal battery needs to be charged. It did not accept the date/time until the new battery was charged to 75% on the power cord.

Orange boathouse was taken with 50 Summilux ASPH, the other two with 50 Rigid Cron, all on Hawk helicoid adapter.

Lovely, natural looking color on these Cindy!

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Well, on both these lenses I can see some minor colour shift, with the sky taking on a magenta cast towards the left of the picture. As it can't be seen on the right hand side, it suggests that maybe your adapter is slightly "off".

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philber View Post
    Well, on both these lenses I can see some minor colour shift, with the sky taking on a magenta cast towards the left of the picture. As it can't be seen on the right hand side, it suggests that maybe your adapter is slightly "off".
    Really?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philber View Post
    Is everyone seeing this? I'm not seeing it on my monitor.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is a slight shift of blue towards magenta on the top left corner of both n1 and n3 shots, as I see them. But nothing comparable on the right side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Hi Mark,

I haven't done any direct comparative shots - I felt I had a handle on the comparison just from seeing the files and from memory, but maybe I will: I was thinking of doing the same scene with M240/35Lux FLE vs D800E with Sigma 35mm Art lens vs RX1 vs A7R with 35 Lux FLE and hopefully soon the new 35mm F2.8

My guess is that the RX1 would still win over the 35 Lux and A7R, as well as over the Sigma/Nikon combo: it is a much less tricky lens than the 35 Lux FLE and has sharper edges than the Sigma. However, the RX1, even with colour shading corrections turned on in-camera, is not immune from casts. Of course, the choice of aperture will be key too: at F2 it would be a no-contest, the RX-1 will win hands down. But at F5.6 it might be a closer call between all the candidates, colour casts aside. Overall, if the new 35mm F2.8 can't match the RX-1 lens when shot at F2.8, F4 and F5.6, with colour cast correction and sharpness across the frame at least as good at the pixel level, I will be disappointed. If, when both files are printed to say a 20" print the RX-1 file is a clear winner, I will be a bit dismayed...
    Tim, you have very interesting comparison in mind - hopefully you will find time to do it.

I ordered the Sony/Zeiss 35mm f2.8 with the A7R with the expectation that I can use that combo to replace my RX1 and gain a lot more flexibility. Like you, I will be disappointed if the A7R/35mm combo doesn't hold its own against the RX1. I don't mind giving up f2.0 for the added flexibility of the A7R.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know this place well (photo wise) and am amazed with the A7R. Not only the high ISO but also the AWB works wonderfully well. Kudos to Sony!

Sony A7R, M Rokkor 40/2, f/2, ISO3200
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Is everyone seeing this? I'm not seeing it on my monitor.
    Don't listen to it, Cindy, especially the "diagnosis". Nothing is wrong with your adapter.