The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebboh

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

What I am wondering is if the 1.5 crop of the NEX seems to amplify the amount of coma compared to if it was shot on a FF camera where the pixel density is lesser? I usually only shoot my fast glass on a FF camera so I haven't tested this before. Does that make sense?
yes, higher pixel density always magnifies the coma (and the CA) of any lens. if you look at two images at 100% shot from the same lens at the same target one with 5D classic one with a 5D mkII the CA and coma will be greater in the images from the 5D mkII (but the same when both images are scaled to the same area). thus, these flaws are magnified when lenses are switched from FF to any crop camera. on the other hand distortion and vignetting always become less of a problem on going from FF to cropped cameras.

douglasf13

Great photos Douglas, glad to see the combo finally arrived for you.. :)
I'm loving it so far. The NEX-5 managed to come in smaller than all of these guys, outside of the teeny tiny Micro 16. :) I used to think the Bolsey in front was small!

nex-5 with CV 35/1.4 at f2.8

V

Vivek

Douglas, I see that you have on display, the ugliest camera ever made, the "brick".:p Even that one isn't half blind like the NEX-5 as it does have a view finder.

Hopefully, the NEX-9/11 will have a decent EVF and a full swivel LCD screen.

here is the voigt 21 and 25 f/4 - can you guys see if this lens is acceptable? it's not the best test.

I have full jpgs I'll link later.

douglasf13

Douglas, I see that you have on display, the ugliest camera ever made, the "brick".:p Even that one isn't half blind like the NEX-5 as it does have a view finder.

Hopefully, the NEX-9/11 will have a decent EVF and a full swivel LCD screen.
Yeah, the "brick" isn't winning any beauty contests, although it does fit in a cigarette box, which is cool if you're a spy. :) Its viewfinder is like a mini waist level finder, which isn't THAT far off from the NEX-5. I'll surely buy an EVF for NEX if it comes, but, honestly, I'm completely in love with shooting it waist-level, so I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it.

V

Vivek

Not sure we are talking about the same cam, Douglas. The Argus is the brick and it has a viewfinder (albeit a dark one).

T

tigertimb

Just having fun with the NEX as the title suggests - certainly found the camera encouraging me to play with the camera again.

First two with the Minolta AF 50mm f1.4
Second two with the Minolta AF 50mm f3.5 macro with the last just about on the MFD
(and I know I ought to keep my watch cleaner!)

All jpegs straight from the camera and just resized.

Tim

douglasf13

Not sure we are talking about the same cam, Douglas. The Argus is the brick and it has a viewfinder (albeit a dark one).
Duh, that Argus was just given to me, and I forgot that it was affectionally known as "the brick." You are correct, it is indeed ugly, and it does have somewhat of a viewfinder.

Jim DE

Ken..vs..ryu, get to a spot where you can use a wide open aperture and focus them to infinity with the background all near the same distance away........ look at the corners.

Ken..vs..ryu, get to a spot where you can use a wide open aperture and focus them to infinity with the background all near the same distance away........ look at the corners.
I tried but the store is really narrow. The silver cv21 looked and felt great on the nex-5. I've read that the 21 showed smearing but I suppose these shots won't show that.

The 25 was an m mount and had a plastic focus tab so it did not feel as solid as the 21. It was the perfect size and weight though.

Jim DE

Ken, I don't think I have seen one lens 28mm and under in RF lenses that hasn't smeared. My 28 Contax G smears wide open and at infinity but I work around it with smaller apertures and avoiding infinity focus composition. I just like the 42mm perspective it affords me.

Terry

Interesting stats from my Ireland trip. I'm going through my files now.

2700 frames shot
1320 - A900
1380 - NEX5

77 currently rated "4 star"
40 from the NEX5
27 from the A900

of the 40 from the NEX 5 26 are from the kit lens.

iiiNelson

Just got my NEX5 in today and hopefully I will get some time this weekend to play with it.

roweraay

Ken, I don't think I have seen one lens 28mm and under in RF lenses that hasn't smeared. My 28 Contax G smears wide open and at infinity but I work around it with smaller apertures and avoiding infinity focus composition. I just like the 42mm perspective it affords me.
Jim, as stated in the other thread, the below link has Full-size pictures taken with the NEX5 and the Contax G 21mm f/2.8 Biogon, with several of them taken wide-open at f/2.8. Seems to be a great combo with no smearing etc, even though there is a bit of color shift.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/dressup/20100818_387505.html

However, as you stated, if there are lens fitment problems with the 21mm, then I will definitely not do it, and will have to let the lens go.

fordfanjpn

2700 frames shot
1320 - A900
1380 - NEX5

40 from the NEX5
27 from the A900

Numbers speak louder than words, and those numbers say a lot! Very interesting as well as encouraging. Can't wait to get back on my feet again so I can get out and start shooting the NEX5. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bill

MPK2010

2700 frames shot
1320 - A900
1380 - NEX5

40 from the NEX5
27 from the A900

Very interesting. While my NEX has been getting a lot of casual use, it is striking to see that kind of breakdown for a photography-oriented trip where you have an A900 with you. Based on the 4-star reference, I would have to assume that the NEX has functioned as far more than a social camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.