Site Sponsors
Page 68 of 147 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 118 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 7311

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Taylor, I would not have noticed it until it was brought to my attention yesterday. That is very sensible advice that you have given me. Before I put this to rest, I am going to shoot a white background as Ron previously suggested, and I will turn the camera over as you suggest. Then I can go back to enjoying this camera.
    Cindy, I haven't seen the color shift on any of your pics either. If it is there it must be very very slight. In that last shot I doubt that lens would have any color shift with the lens used. On my NEX I never saw the magenta issues until I started pointing my RF lenses at blue skies. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotoingo View Post

My opinion on A7 vs A7R in general :
    Get the A7.
    It is
    cheaper
    has faster flash sync
    more fps
    build feels the same as the A7R
    same weight as A7R
    picture quality is the same (even though the A7R has more pixels)
    usability is better with RF lenses. (much less hassle with magenta cast)
    smearing seems to be the same with both A7s
    AF is a tiny bit faster
    smaller file sizes

I will keep my A7 and my friend with the A7R is about to send it back and getting a A7 too.
    fotoingo, far be it from me to bring common sense to the proceedings but, are you really judging the best camera to buy based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to use, from different manufacturers, some of which are old and not even designed for this type of camera? These expensive lenses that happen to fit this body because third party companies have decided to build cheap (in comparison to the lenses and body) adapters so that they will physically fit? The camera doesn't know what they are or in some cases what aperture they are set at? This is the basis for any decision on what is worth buying? I don't understand!

This camera to me is flawed with anything other than the Sony lenses it was designed to be used with, it may produce reasonable results by luck but there's none of the huge amount of processing that goes on internally with the M240 for example or the D800 or many other cameras that are designed for a specific range of lenses.

For me, this camera will only work if the results from the camera when lenses designed for it are mounted are superb, how it happens to work with some random adapter can not be surprising when the results are less than optimum.

There are a few great images on this thread, it would be excellent to see what this camera can really do rather than lots of posts on what it can't do, just my own opinion.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

I do think it's pretty funny that, after that first paragraph, you say that the camera is "flawed" with anything other than the Sony lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    fotoingo, far be it from me to bring common sense to the proceedings but, are you really judging the best camera to buy based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to use, from different manufacturers, some of which are old and not even designed for this type of camera? These expensive lenses that happen to fit this body because third party companies have decided to build cheap (in comparison to the lenses and body) adapters so that they will physically fit? The camera doesn't know what they are or in some cases what aperture they are set at? This is the basis for any decision on what is worth buying? I don't understand!

This camera to me is flawed with anything other than the Sony lenses it was designed to be used with, it may produce reasonable results by luck but there's none of the huge amount of processing that goes on internally with the M240 for example or the D800 or many other cameras that are designed for a specific range of lenses.

For me, this camera will only work if the results from the camera when lenses designed for it are mounted are superb, how it happens to work with some random adapter can not be surprising when the results are less than optimum.

There are a few great images on this thread, it would be excellent to see what this camera can really do rather than lots of posts on what it can't do, just my own opinion.

Mat
    How would one subscribe to that logic for M or D800 users or any other camera system that people adapt lenses to that not originally designed for the camera. If the image is the sum of the parts plus the photographer I don't see how it's "flawed" provided the artistic image of the photographer was captured in the way intended.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 25th November 2013 at 06:02.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do think Mat makes a very good point: the best results will likely be achieved with native FE-lenses, since the optical properties of the sensor toppings have certainly been taken into account during the design of these lenses. This is surely not the case with older SLR-glass such as Leica-R.

Edit: when I say 'best' I am speaking of technical IQ. OTOH, I firmly believe that there is great aesthetic value in using older glass that would be considered flawed by that logic, as some of the excellent images in this thread have clearly shown. The lens is the photographer's paintbrush, after all…

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Bob,
    I had already done that. I'm not seeing the shift on my NEC. I will re-calibrate it tomorrow and see if I can see it. The values on the left were 181, 189, 206. On the right 170, 180, 199. About an inch lower on the left 165, 179, 206 and on the right 145, 163, 196. I am thinking that if this is significant, it is indicating that my sensor is not sitting straight. I had a different lens and adapter on the camera today.
    Cindy, IMO it is impossible to evaluate such a scene for absolutes. Especially subtile ones which may or may not be natural phenomena. The scene in question appears brighter on the left ... which is natural lighting ... this often produces a bit more magenta because of slightly more IR intensity.

When doing such evaluations, I shoot a plain white surface which has to be perfectly even in light intensity across the whole surface ... which isn't easy to do without a light meter.

Then I use the CMYK color analyzing eye-dropper to measure each separate color ... including a separate one for magenta ... Photoshop top menu: Window > Info

When I ran the curser over the cloud strip the magenta variance was minuscule with edges slightly more intense and easily attributable to slight lens vignetting (yes, even at 70mm the 24-70 ever so slightly vignettes).

If it were me I wouldn't give it a second thought. However, if it did, I'd do a controlled test,

- Marc

BTW, again, very natural looking color rendition ... which somewhat reminds me of the D800 shots done with Leica R lenses. This bodes well for using the ZAs on this camera
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking at those IR pictures above it does seem to show what would be obvious to me, that while more pixels may not necessarily add significantly more detail, they do allow better tonal transitions.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Since we're all having our 2 Cents, here are mine:

Cindy's file does indeed seem to have a tiny, tiny, tiny magenta issue. It is absolutely within 'normal' variance for almost any system.

By 'system' I mean 'soup to nuts' - from lens to sensor thru RAW pp to display thru to eye and brain.

As other people have noted, normal vignetting can create small colour shifts, as can the natural variance of colour in a sky, and the uneven distribution of IR and UV across a sky, especially when taken into account with the amount of filtering on lens (screw-on and coating) and on sensor.

Then there is the fact that even very good monitors can have uneven display colour and brightness. I, like Jono, have rather slacked off the frequency of calibrating my monitors because even when freshly calibrated, my 30" Cinema Display, when viewed next to my Eizo 30", gives the game away: the Apple display is blue and the Eizo is red, relative to each other. Viewed alone, each looks very good.

Next is the issue of the normal variance of human colour vision. Naturally the medical profession has decided to categorise and pathologise this, preferring to see it in terms of Norms and Abnorms rather than variance, though countless studies have shown that 'colour blind' people can determine patterns that 'normal' people cannot, and can often distinguish colour variations that 'normal' people cannot. Variations in abilities are what sustain populations, let's leave it at that.

Next, the fact that we perceive colours culturally and with gender bias. We are all familiar with the complaint that asian manufacturers favour certain skin tone renditions that look odd to western eyes. We are also aware that females, (and experienced male photographers!) are more likely to be able to use accurate language to distinguish between magenta and pink, or purple, mauve and violet. Using accurate language places a requirement on the speaker to perceive more diligently: my colour vision has become a lot more accurate since I started trying to see accurately, rather than seeing like a British boy raised in the 60's when knowing the names of anything other than red green and blue would cause a large pink question mark to appear over your head...

In every step of the imaging chain, in every situation, there is room for variance from what is 'true', 'accurate' and 'normal'. Your file is very comfortably within the sum of those variances IMHO. And when something is clearly wrong it is clearly wrong - such as the colour casts in this white frame from an 18mm Super Elmar M on an A7R - it will be obvious:

Additionally you will not, ever, accurately bottom out (let alone be able to eradicate accurately in post) a colour cast with a shot of a blank grey sky or a white wall. The light falling on a wall will be almost impossible to get perfectly illuminated and, unless lit by very accurately temperature controlled flash, will be subject to the same variances as a sky. To do this properly (and even then not 100% reliably or accurately) you need a Lens Cast Calibration sheet as used by MF shooters. They cost a few dollars and save a lot of time and yet very few people bother to source them. If you use one, you will see that, for example, a file from a Sony RX-1 with in camera colour shading corrections turned on still has some colour shading. And that is a camera with an extremely closely tuned ecosystem of sensor, lens and bespoke processing.

Most work does not require perfect colour accuracy. Photographers who work in fields where it does, do not use zooms with adaptors on what are fundamentally consumer cameras.

Inaccurate colour renditions can be part of a photographer's style.

There are highly successful artists, in both photographic and other media, with highly personal colour vision - and yet their work can be enjoyed, like the work of a deaf Beethoven, by a wider audience.

Rant over. The file is fine.
    Last edited by tashley; 25th November 2013 at 03:55.
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    How would one subscribe to that logic for M or D800 users that use R lenses not originally designed for the camera. If the image is the sum of the parts plus the photographer I don't see how it's "flawed" provided the artistic image of the photographer was captured in the way intended.
    Hiredarm, I don't subscribe any logic to leica R lenses working well on the D800, the R lenses happen to work well in some cases, if they didn't it wouldn't be down to the D800 being a bad camera or a good one. If the D800 worked badly with Nikon lenses then it would be a bad camera.

We aren't talking about the artistic side, it very rarely comes in to any discussion on equipment, I for one don't think my images are good or bad based on the camera I use, they are good or bad based on me.

What I'm saying is that deciding which is better, the 7 or the 7r based on how it works with non native lenses is absurd.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

What I'm saying is that deciding which is better, the 7 or the 7r based on how it works with non native lenses is absurd.
    It all depends on what your aims are. Being able to use the A7R as a compact FFDB for just about all the glass I already own is definitely what interests me most about this camera. It costs a lot less than the lenses I'm going to use it with, and based on what I've seen so far, I'm expecting it to work well for the kind of photography that I do. Hence, I don't think it's that absurd of a decision…

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiredarm, I don't subscribe any logic to leica R lenses working well on the D800, the R lenses happen to work well in some cases, if they didn't it wouldn't be down to the D800 being a bad camera or a good one. If the D800 worked badly with Nikon lenses then it would be a bad camera.

We aren't talking about the artistic side, it very rarely comes in to any discussion on equipment, I for one don't think my images are good or bad based on the camera I use, they are good or bad based on me.

Mat
    I think the point being is that adapted or native I think a lot of people are getting too caught up in technical perfection. We can shoot all the walls we want but if the imperfections don't affect the real world pictures then the tests matter less. It not to say quantifying the technical aspects are useful for some but show me a picture of how a lens can be used in actual application and that tells me much more than any graph or 100% crop ever will.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your compliment. I love the strap too. I bought it long time ago for my Leica camera. It's from Italy Luggi, handmade leather strap, he make a lot of leather accessories for Leica cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    @rayyen:
    That's a fantastic "product photo"!!
    Beautiful combo, you should offer it to Sony
    BTW, love the red hand-strap - what is it??
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Rodenstock | Schneider | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Rant over. The file is fine.
    I would not call it a rant but a handful of of pearls.

Incidentally, I like the colors on the Mannequin shot of Michiel before the color correction (in the crop)here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/550732-post414.html. That blue hue gives a good idea of the cold evening here.

Post Thanks / Like

You are too kind Vivek! Though it's always a bit dangerous when one rants and then finds that others agree

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting and lively discussion. Thanks to all.

BUT

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are too kind Vivek! Though it's always a bit dangerous when one rants and then finds that others agree

Rant is a misnomer here, Tim.

I appreciate the high level of discussion here which is greatly enhanced by contributions from you.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Very interesting and lively discussion. Thanks to all.

BUT

You like that icon, don't ya? I am holding back for others to get their copy of A7/7R.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have been busy this week-end shooting the A7R and a HOST of M lenses...I am satisfied that everything 28 mm (summcricron) and above would suit my purposes, and in particular, the longer lenses work great, with precision focus.... I am definitely getting one, at this point, not that there was really any doubt...

I plan to post my comments and thoughts along the way, but I am impressed....it's not, by any means, a faultless camera, but the sensor shines in many regards!

Great images all around Ash even if some are only "test" type images. I like what I see here. There's a lot of depth (read: 3D effect,) rich color, and nice B&W tone. These are the type of images (along with a lot of the others one people posted) that I like to see when attempting to reach a verdict on a "supplemental" camera primarily to be used with adapted lenses (like many others here.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    You like that icon, don't ya? I am holding back for others to get their copy of A7/7R.
    No you should post more. There's way to many words and discussion (on some level) in what's usually a picture centric thread... and I've just added more words.

Here's a picture --->

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Schöne Dachgeschosswohnung

Many thanks for making the effort. Looking really good to me. Looks like an affordable TS for the A7R for landscapes. I am considering the Hartblei though, albeit being 2.5 times that much, I am sorta addicted to Zeiss.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    Was asked to show the TSE 24/3.5 II on the A7R.
    Here some shots from my living room (would not show these but it is to bad weather here - so as test shots)

DSC04157.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

0.9mm downshift F6.3

DSC04160.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

10 mm downshift, wide open F3.5, focus via tilt from the painting to the cardboard ottoman in the right front

You can see a little vignetting on the pic shot wide open (shifted and tilted), but imo a superb performance. At higher F-stops there is no vignetting an no Ca's
    See 100% at Flicker via klick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mat
    It may be absurd for those who don't already own such lenses. But if you have these lenses and want to give them a second life, then it makes a lot of sense to find out which body will make the best use of these lenses.

And all the more so that the A7/7r is a very new system offering very few native lenses. Of what is available right now, only the 35mm F2.8 attracts me.

As for my Contax G lenses, I'm pretty sure that both the 45mm and the 90mm would be great on either of these two bodies. I have lower expectations for the 28mm and even lower for the 21mm, but why shouldn't I look for the body giving the best results with those lenses when I already own them ?

Your hammering conclusion may be good for you, but it isn't for every one.
    There are a lot of people having nice M lenses who wants a digital back for them, but not at the cost of a Leica M. There are a lot of lenses of orphaned systems just waiting for a nice digital back.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Old OM high res lens that still can be found for a small amount of money used to capture one of my ongoing projects.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Sony A7R, Olympus OM Zuiko Macro 50/3.5, f/11, 1/6s, ISO100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like the usual suspects have all received their new cameras. My A7 came last Tue, and I have had a couple opportunities to play with it but the weather has been dreadful for Texas.

I managed a quick hands on review here on the blog: A7 Hands On

Overall, the A7 is quickly proving to be everything I had hoped for and will serve as both RX1 replacement and A900 second body (virtual A99).

And here are a few photos this weekend at my son's LAX tourney with the Minolta 200mm APO f2.8 and the LAEA-4 adapter.

Camera was setup on Speed Priority, AF-C and RAW and I could squeeze off almost 30 shots (5 seconds) of continuous action before hitting the buffer wall. Pretty damn impressive for RAW. That number jumps up to 8.5 seconds in JPEG.

It was so dreary that I shot at 1600 ISO, compared to my usual setting of 100 or 200 at most for an f/2.8 lens outdoors in TX.

Focus was initially off on the 200mm and I had to quickly dial in some AF micro adjustment (-7) on the fly. I think I am pretty close to spot on now but will do a more rigorous calibration later.

The continuous AF worked very well but I was unable to find a true tracking function on the A7 (maybe it doesn't exist?). Overall, I'm very satisfied with the performance. This camera continues to impress and prove itself as a most flexible platform. Parents on the sidelines were in awe when I explained everything it could do.

Battery life with the LAEA-4 pushing that heavy glass in 35 degree weather was around 300-350 shots. Not bad.

Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotoingo View Post
    Hey,
    I don't own the 21mm so I can just guess.
    Normally the 21 was always the same as the 28 or worse so I have no hope for using it on either A7s.

My opinion on A7 vs A7R in general :
    Get the A7.
    It is
    cheaper
    has faster flash sync
    more fps
    build feels the same as the A7R
    same weight as A7R
    picture quality is the same (even though the A7R has more pixels)
    usability is better with RF lenses. (much less hassle with magenta cast)
    smearing seems to be the same with both A7s
    AF is a tiny bit faster
    smaller file sizes

I will keep my A7 and my friend with the A7R is about to send it back and getting a A7 too.
    Many thanks for your feedback. I'm rather a slow shooter using available light, so the advantages of the A7 over the A7r in this regard aren't very important for me. Price of course is an advantage, as well as the lower file size, since I don't really need all these pixels (I don't print big enough to justify it). I like that the A7r lacks the Bayer filter and that there are no AF sensors at the pixel level.

I may get an occasion to test both side by side on Wednesday at a local shop, but alas I don't have any adapter to test the Contax G lenses. Hopefully the shop will have adapters for the M lenses and the EOS lenses.

I'm in no hurry; haven't yet decided whether I'll get one or not.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay. Well, I'm a really experienced A7r shooter (being as I've had the camera for nearly 2 hours).

The only real surprise is that I love the sound of the shutter - I really don't know why (and I really wasn't expecting to) it just has a noise I like.

So it's time to post some masterworks.

first of all here is a shot with the Zeiss 28-85 Vario Sonnar - which handles very nicely on the camera.

the bridge at Carleton Forehoe

And here is one with the WATE (which, as expected, looks just fine).

the River

Just this guy you know
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chad, you should change the name to Show with Performance!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then I tried the 60mm macro Elmarit R - with stacked adapters, as I don't have a specific R adapter yet.

This lens seems to do really well, focusing is a snap (I had focus peaking on it's lowest level).

Mountain Ash and Rainbow

Ornamental Apples?

Christmas is Coming

IvyGate

Leaf

Just this guy you know
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Managed to demo the A7R today at a Sony shop whilst waiting for my A7R to arrive.

Some quick observations:

- shutter sound is not v loud to me, however the shutter 'delay' sound can be a bit disconcerting at first (does not seem to affect usage)

- handholding the camera and shooting at lowish speeds (E.g. 1/20 with the 35/2.8) still results in pretty sharp images. The camera is balanced enough to allow you to practice proper technique

- EVF is very good. For large eyeglass wearers like me, removing the eyecup is essential. Image tearing from off center viewing of the EVF is minimal. EVF/LCD switching seems less twitchy than on the NEX6 or 7 (which is good!)

Here are some simple images shot at the shop. I shot them mostly on the fly to simulate a candid shooting scenario. These are all ooc jpegs, minor level and contrast adjustments with a v v low tinge of sharpening in LR5:

Focus is on the diorama shop sign

DSC09953 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the diorama boy behind the snowman

DSC09959 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the blue bauble

DSC09966 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the A7 '7'

DSC09962 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the toy train snowmen. Note the blue fabric in the background and the nuanced reds on the train top

DSC09975 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the '4K'. This is a 25% crop of the original image

DSC09973 by Rurouni, on Flickr

Focus is on the two mannequin heads. This is a 25% crop of the original image

DSC09989 by Rurouni, on Flickr
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    It may be absurd for those who don't already own such lenses. But if you have these lenses and want to give them a second life, then it makes a lot of sense to find out which body will make the best use of these lenses.

And all the more so that the A7/7r is a very new system offering very few native lenses. Of what is available right now, only the 35mm F2.8 attracts me.

As for my Contax G lenses, I'm pretty sure that both the 45mm and the 90mm would be great on either of these two bodies. I have lower expectations for the 28mm and even lower for the 21mm, but why shouldn't I look for the body giving the best results with those lenses when I already own them ?

Your hammering conclusion may be good for you, but it isn't for every one.
    There are a lot of people having nice M lenses who wants a digital back for them, but not at the cost of a Leica M. There are a lot of lenses of orphaned systems just waiting for a nice digital back.
    Annna, all salient points but I believe you're missing what my post was about, not entirely surprising, it was early and I am often less than clear.

My issue was with the guy who gave clear reasons why you should buy one camera over the other, it feels absurd to me that any assumption should be made on a camera based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to work with, from a different era, a different manufacturer and for a different style of camera. There's no reason why you shouldn't try it for your existing lenses, I hope it works and you enjoy using it. If it doesn't work and you come back to say that the camera is no good because your old contax lenses aren't producing the goods then I'll say the same to you,it's an absurd statement.

As it is, I'd be happy to see this thread full of fantastic images, taken with the best lenses possible for the camera, taking full advantage of the technology at hand, processed to the users best artistic vision and displayed here to wow and amaze and inspire.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Okay. Well, I'm a really experienced A7r shooter (being as I've had the camera for nearly 2 hours).
    …snip...
    So it's time to post some masterworks.
    Congrats, Jono! Beautiful images - want to see more

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto Jono - and the bridge is another of your gorgeous B&W conversions!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mat
    Perhaps there is a little bit of difference in concept here.
    My issue was with the guy who gave clear reasons why you should buy one camera over the other, it feels absurd to me that any assumption should be made on a camera based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to work with, from a different era, a different manufacturer and for a different style of camera.
    On the one hand; I quite agree that it would be crazy to criticise a camera based on assessment using the 'wrong' lenses

However, and on the other hand. It might quite reasonably be a crucial factor in deciding whether or not to buy it.

As it is, I'd be happy to see this thread full of fantastic images, taken with the best lenses possible for the camera, taking full advantage of the technology at hand, processed to the users best artistic vision and displayed here to wow and amaze and inspire.
    I'd like to do my best to take these pictures . . . .but unfortunately there isn't a single lens I can buy which is designed for the camera!

One can make pretty reasonable assumptions about which lenses will work well and which won't. I've tried a 50 summilux M, a WATE, a 28-85 vario sonnar and a 60mm macro elmarit R. I expected these to work okay, and it seems that they do!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ron, Tim, Thank you for the kind words!

It's getting dark now, and I'm supposed to be working, so I guess it should be tomorrow . . . I have got a black and white version of the river shot though - I prefer it to the colour, but it seemed a bit cheeky only to post black and white snaps from a colour camera:

River shot with the WATE

Just this guy you know
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one from today, one of my favourite subjects for exploring separation of planes. The 35 Lux FLE may have colour issues on the A7R but it is a very articulate lens and I like the results from the combination…

Full size

And here's the same file Cornerfixed (Lord I vowed that I wasn't going to get into Cornerfixing images from this camera but I do like the lens…

Full Size

Last edited by tashley; 25th November 2013 at 08:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering how others are getting on with the Canon 24 TSE on the A7r.

I'm just having a look through a few shots I took today (can't share them, sorry), and I'm not entirely convinced the lens is good enough for these small pixels.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mat
    Perhaps there is a little bit of difference in concept here.

On the one hand; I quite agree that it would be crazy to criticise a camera based on assessment using the 'wrong' lenses

However, and on the other hand. It might quite reasonably be a crucial factor in deciding whether or not to buy it.

I'd like to do my best to take these pictures . . . .but unfortunately there isn't a single lens I can buy which is designed for the camera!

One can make pretty reasonable assumptions about which lenses will work well and which won't. I've tried a 50 summilux M, a WATE, a 28-85 vario sonnar and a 60mm macro elmarit R. I expected these to work okay, and it seems that they do!
    Jono, please excuse my obtuseness, thanks for posting your shots, they show clearly how great images can be produced by the camera, even with lenses that are designed for rangefinders!

Enjoy, I look forward to seeing more as you get chance to shoot.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Chad, thanks for posting the actions shots. How did the A7 handle the action?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mat
    Jono, please excuse my obtuseness, thanks for posting your shots, they show clearly how great images can be produced by the camera, even with lenses that are designed for rangefinders!

Enjoy, I look forward to seeing more as you get chance to shoot.

Mat
    I certainly certainly wasn't accusing you of being obtuse (or anyone else). It just seemed like an argument at cross purposes, that's all.

. . . and thanks for the kind words.

As far as lenses are concerned - I'm rather excited by the prospect of using some of the old Zeiss Contax fit lenses - they're more affordable than Leica R lenses, and there are some winners.

The 28-85 zoom is lovely - it's a one touch zoom (long out of fashion), but it actually works rather well - here is a nice link, but make sure your eyes don't stray too far (it can get very expensive!)

Zeiss 28-85 vario sonnar

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one from today, one of my favourite subjects for exploring separation of planes. The 35 Lux FLE may have colour issues on the A7R but it is a very articulate lens and I like the results from the combination…
    Hi Tim
    Was that wide open? The vignetting is pretty obvious, but the colour shift doesn't look too bad (and of course, that's the tough bit)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you might have seen this combo already,just handled it today and love the feel of it,works really well... :thumb up:

Many thanks to Mike at NIVO-Schweitzer.nl for being so helpful..

Post Thanks / Like

One more snap...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RVB, That looks like an expensive show piece!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tim
    Was that wide open? The vignetting is pretty obvious, but the colour shift doesn't look too bad (and of course, that's the tough bit)
    F2.8 old chap. I also posted a Cornerfixed version, which shows that the colour shift is quite strong but gets partially lost in the possibility of a bruised sky colour. Vignetting is strong but actually the picture looks better with at least some, I think!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And here's the same file Cornerfixed (Lord I vowed that I wasn't going to get into Cornerfixing images from this camera but I do like the lens…
    HI Tim
    The cornerfixed one looks much worse than the original (nasty colour on the right hand side especially) . . . . and I promise I'm not going to get into corner fix with this camera!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

F2.8 old chap. I also posted a Cornerfixed version, which shows that the colour shift is quite strong but gets partially lost in the possibility of a bruised sky colour. Vignetting is strong but actually the picture looks better with at least some, I think!

Hi Tim, that didn't seem to fix it to my eyes.
    Now you have half a rainbow to the right side.
    I think for this FL I will use the native lens.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exposure Mode ?

Ho-Hum - what are you using for these adapted lenses. Having made the stupid mistake of leaving it on P mode I notice that RVB has his on A mode with the Noctilux (which also doesn't make much sense!).

Is S mode the answer? that way you can set the aperture manually, choose a sensible shutter speed and let Auto ISO do the talking (seems good at 5000 to me!)

Whaddyareckon?

Just this guy you know

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really better off shooting a LCC to fix the magenta and vignetting of these lenses. Its the most accurate way to clean it up.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Really better off shooting a LCC to fix the magenta and vignetting of these lenses. Its the most accurate way to clean it up.
    . . . . or use a different lens! I've made a vow that I'm not going to use any lens which requires this sort of work doing to it. . . . . .really! (:dh2

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

Glad to see you made the trip in 15 minutes instead of 20 as you might have chickened out and then we would have missed your lovely images.

That old Contax zoom sure produces excellent images on this camera too. Just for my knowledge as I might get mine next month (fingers crossed), what are you doing for PP. Can you import directly into LR yet? Do you convert the ARW files to DNG? Do you need LR 5.3?

Post Thanks / Like

Showperformance

Curious what dealer sold you the A7 in the US? Or did you buy it overseas like Cindy did?