Site Sponsors
Page 69 of 147 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 7321

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Chad, thanks for posting the actions shots. How did the A7 handle the action?
    Really excellent Mikal. No complaints at all.

To me, this is what makes the A7(r) such a watershed camera. It can do so many things well.

Want it to be an action cam? no problem. How about an unobtrusive compact? yup. What about a high res landscape cam? sure. Ok, what about a low light monster? yes, sir.

The interface is solid, with only a couple niggles or omitted features, and the IQ has been outstanding with the lenses I have selected to use with it. Btw, the Minolta 35/2 is a winner on the A7 - as expected.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Showperformance

Curious what dealer sold you the A7 in the US? Or did you buy it overseas like Cindy did?
    Yes, I bought from Digital Rev.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have been busy this week-end shooting the A7R and a HOST of M lenses...I am satisfied that everything 28 mm (summcricron) and above would suit my purposes, and in particular, the longer lenses work great, with precision focus.... I am definitely getting one, at this point, not that there was really any doubt...

I plan to post my comments and thoughts along the way, but I am impressed....it's not, by any means, a faultless camera, but the sensor shines in many regards!

Ashwin,

Love the images... really shows off a few things I wanted to see/know, in particular the B&W rendering with the camera (I presume this was done in LR rather than in the camera).

However, this firs shot is disturbing to me, and would have me not using the camera, (or possibly camera-lens combo). The OOF fringes along the wires shift from green to magenta in focus, and then green again. Also, the OOF person in the foreground has a distinct magenta halo to him.

This may be an extreme case for the effect, and in most normal circumstances it may not show. Do you have other examples of OOF highlights that may show this trend?

I am thinking this is related to the lens used, and not inherent to the camera, so a little info on the lens would be helpful as well...

Thanks,

---Michael
    a900, a7r, FE 16-35, FE 70-200 Leica R lenses: 35 f/2, 50 f/2, 60 macro, Minolta 24mm, 35-70 f/4, Sony G 70-300

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    . . . . or use a different lens! I've made a vow that I'm not going to use any lens which requires this sort of work doing to it. . . . . .really! (:dh2
    I agree. It's a digital back and like a medium format back some lenses just won't work. But I agree if you have the glass it's worth a try. I have a Leica 19mm R lens which I would love to work on this and it probably would. I need to justify this since I already have a D800e.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...Just as a followup, this image appears to show absolutely none of the problem noted in the above image, but it does appear to show a bit of magenta shift on the top throughout the image (not specifically on the highlights). Is this a different lens, different aperture?

Overall, the images look really great. I'm getting more excited about getting my hands on an a7r soon... I guess I'd better get an order in.

---Michael
    a900, a7r, FE 16-35, FE 70-200 Leica R lenses: 35 f/2, 50 f/2, 60 macro, Minolta 24mm, 35-70 f/4, Sony G 70-300

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I agree. It's a digital back and like a medium format back some lenses just won't work. But I agree if you have the glass it's worth a try. I have a Leica 19mm R lens which I would love to work on this and it probably would. I need to justify this since I already have a D800e.
    Guy,

I, too have a 19mm... love that lens, and really want to see some results with that lens on an a7r. I could see it suffering some, since it has had mirror interference issues with some cameras, so the rear element is a bit closer than most.

I suspect it will be fine overall, though, since it is retrofocal.

---Michael

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The postman managed to deliver the camera half an hour before dark

For people interested in wide alternatives i managed to take some shots before dark and twilight. Ran out the door with 2 lenses. Hope you excuse me for lack of creativity.

The minolta MD does better, as far I can see now. The FD vignettes a lot (25 correction in ACR and the MD 3)
    So the files are corrected to see what I can make of it, no colour corner corrections though.

]

Uploaded 3x the same To busy...
    Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 25th November 2013 at 15:04. Reason: Uploaded 3 x the same
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

HI Tim
    The cornerfixed one looks much worse than the original (nasty colour on the right hand side especially) . . . . and I promise I'm not going to get into corner fix with this camera!
    Yup, it has got rid of the heavy bruised purple and added some strange stuff of its own. There's a 50:50 chance that the shot was at F2 and not F2.8 and that I therefore used the wrong profile - which is why I don't like using cornerfix for these things - but i will persevere a bit because the rendering of the lens itself is nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Hi Tim, that didn't seem to fix it to my eyes.
    Now you have half a rainbow to the right side.
    I think for this FL I will use the native lens.
    I agree - or at least I think I agree but will need to see how the native lens does when I get it, hopefully very soon. The 35 Lux FLE is very marginal because of the colour issues and because you need to stop it down to F8 or 11 to get acceptable corners, but if I can tweak Cornerfix settings to get an acceptable result it might still be useful because it does some things really well...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Hi Angy,

I did indeed mention the jaggies further up the thread and postulate that it relates to the LR 5.3 RC processing. I can even see them on a Retina at 1:1 so it's not just a 100% thing and they annoy me. I agree with you that the pixel level detail is not as stellar as I expected (why I suggested to Jono that he might wait but as usual he ignored me!).

As for the mid range, maybe, I'm not sure, but it does look as if they might have put some more 'math in the middle' because the shadows aren't as clean as a D800… which could also be because the sensor is on all the time and therefore on average warmer...
    Hi Tim,
    I just spent a few more hours comparing LR 5RC & Sony IDC.
    It's a strange little raw developer from Sony but the good news for me is that it shows way better pixel quality. Let's hope Adobe will do its homework asap.

So far I like the colors (saturated and accurate) and the absence of dull flat mid tones aka D800.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, these are taken in the kitchen with questionable light, using a Hawks bay adapter with the 50 'lux. AWB and Auto ISO, with a shutter speed set at 1/120th.

Quince at 640 ISO

Books at 3200 ISO

Recipe's at 320 ISO

Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a couple with the 60 macro elmarit and stacked adapters.

Pickled Lemon f2.8 2000 ISO

Smiths f2.8 640 ISO

Just this guy you know
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chad, thanks for the report. I loved the images. Did you post any with the 135/1.8 or only with the 200/2.8? I think I may go for the A7R in a bit after things calm down here. I am happy to know the 35/2 will be a stellar performer. As long as the 70-200/2.8, the 35, the 135, and maybe an 85 will work, I will be thrilled.

As things now stand, I intend only to use A mount lenses on the A7R. My 2 R lenses are adapted for the a900 so I will leave it at that. My few M lenses I will leave alone to shoot on the M6.

Thanks again. Please post more when and if you have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mikal,

Other than a few test snaps I have not used the 135mm Zeiss in action but based on those shots, it looks to perform as wonderfully as it does on the A900.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Hi Tim,
    It's a strange little raw developer from Sony but the good news for me is that it shows way better pixel quality. Let's hope Adobe will do its homework asap.

So far I like the colors (saturated and accurate) and the absence of dull flat mid tones aka D800.

Unfortunately IDC crashes for me, but I know that LR will eventually do a better job. Thank you for showing what we have to look forward to!

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, have you compared converting ARWs directly in LR 5.3 RC to converting to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter and processing the DNGs in LR 5.2 or 4.4? I wonder if you might get around the jaggies by converting to DNG.

Post Thanks / Like

No Ron - I merely have faith that Adobe will get it right soon, they generally do! And until I get some native FE glass, I am not truly testing the A7R. If I want to get to the bottom of it sooner, I'll probably shoot some pegs and see what happens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Just wondering how others are getting on with the Canon 24 TSE on the A7r.

I'm just having a look through a few shots I took today (can't share them, sorry), and I'm not entirely convinced the lens is good enough for these small pixels.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Hi Gerald,
    Testing the A7r with the Canon 24mm TS mkII & metabones adapter since 2 days.
    For me the good news are:
    I am quite satisfied by the Canon lens and metabones adapter build quality. The adapter fit the lens tightly, no play, that's good.
    Even at full shift on the 24mm length vignetting is not a problem at all.
    Shifting 12mm on the 36mm length of the sensor shows clear vignetting but I find it not extreme nor problematic (shifting DB on Cambo with Rodenstock lenses quickly brings this amount of vignetting too).

However my very first shots were disappointing, following 'first shots' were less disappointing but still not convincing.

2 Main issues:
    1. the look of the files when pixel peeping: soft micro contrast, missing details (like they are erased by a noise reduction setting) and jagged edges (saying 'hey, stop pushing those cursors, you won't recover the 'missing' details this way).
    After testing Image Data Converter from Sony I could find the sharp resolution I was waiting for from this camera. This software is too strange/limited to be used all day but at least it gives me hope that the LR5 release candidate will be optimized any time soon and give good results for the A7r.
    Using very conservative sharpness settings in LR5 RC like (25/0,7/0/20) and sharpen in photoshop works better than pushing the cursors in LR5 - but Sony IDC software still performs better for sharpness.

2. lens borders/corners resolution
    Point 1 is related to center resolution. Border/corner resolution is not really great, always...: few shots with blurred extreme borders and corners but mostly on the right side. Maybe due to an alignement issue ? need to deeper test it as it doesn't show up on every shot (maybe due to a missed focus or maybe related to the position of the moving tilting element of the lens ? don't know).

Okay, that's my early findings so far. Please share yours too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oké a quick test before sleep. Put it on auto ISO and snap away at night.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@anGy; I believe you're right. I don't get the detail, in ACR as well, as with the NEX-7
    I am going to try Sony software tomorrow.

Also still did not have the time to shoot in full daylight, so let's see.

Post Thanks / Like

Had mine since Friday and the adaptors seem to be the key for me. I have Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 which i had on with a Fotodiox adaptor and B&W 95mm 10 stop ND filter. Kept getting light in there somewhere and finally put some tape across where the lens joins adaptor and viola! Wasted pretty much all my shots though so nothing of significance to post. Doing some test stuff with my 28 Summicron over next couple of days though. Really hope it is good because that could be my main user.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, these are taken in the kitchen with questionable light, using a Hawks bay adapter with the 50 'lux. AWB and Auto ISO, with a shutter speed set at 1/120th.

Quince at 640 ISO
    So that's quince. I've never seen one in a US market. I assume you eat them with a runcible spoon. I like the photo, too.

John
    web site | tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Annna, all salient points but I believe you're missing what my post was about, not entirely surprising, it was early and I am often less than clear.

My issue was with the guy who gave clear reasons why you should buy one camera over the other, it feels absurd to me that any assumption should be made on a camera based on how it handles lenses it wasn't designed to work with, from a different era, a different manufacturer and for a different style of camera. There's no reason why you shouldn't try it for your existing lenses, I hope it works and you enjoy using it. If it doesn't work and you come back to say that the camera is no good because your old contax lenses aren't producing the goods then I'll say the same to you,it's an absurd statement.

As it is, I'd be happy to see this thread full of fantastic images, taken with the best lenses possible for the camera, taking full advantage of the technology at hand, processed to the users best artistic vision and displayed here to wow and amaze and inspire.

Mat
    This guy was just answering to my questions concerning the use of Contax G lenses with the A7/A7r. I didn't read his comment as a general statement on the respective merits of these two cameras in absolute, it was just said in a particular context. We all know it is tricky to adapt lenses, they may work or not.

There are two ways of buying gear : you can start with a set of lens you have and look for the best body supporting them, or you can start with a body (or a sensor) and hope that more good lenses will come. The first way IMO is more prevalent right now, because there are very few FE lenses available. But both ways are equally valid.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Oké a quick test before sleep. Put it on auto ISO and snap away at night.

[CENTER]
    Michiel,

That's a lens that I used to have and was thinking about getting to pair with a a7r. Please post some comments on how you feel it works once you have used it a bit.

---Michael

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

More testing from today. This is a temperamental sensor. I have seen some vignetting and color shifts using the "grey day" torture tests, shooting the 50 lux asph and 35 summarit...Yet, I continue to find the files enjoyable in terms of workability:

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 24 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

COngrats on the purchase, Jono, and incredible images so far!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Nokton Classic 40/1.4
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like

@anGy:
    Are you using the TSE 24 II, i think there is an old version as well.
    After my first tests with that lens (see posts above) i can not report the same problems you have. This lens gives imo very sharp corners even tilted and/or shifted. you should however stop down to F8 with tilt/shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tim,

This is very sparkling!
    How much pp (and what) was needed to achieve this?
    And which lens?
    thorkil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon 50/0.95 at its minimum focus distance. Wide open, the glow is there but the image quality is far better than the ones I got from any NEX.

Sony A7R, Canon 50/0.95, f/0.95
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    @anGy:
    Are you using the TSE 24 II, i think there is an old version as well.
    After my first tests with that lens (see posts above) i can not report the same problems you have. This lens gives imo very sharp corners even tilted and/or shifted. you should however stop down to F8 with tilt/shift.
    Yes, using the mkII version.
    I've made other tests this morning to check the corners. Want to know if the blur in the corners is due to low lens resolution or to field curvature focus f.i. So I've made a serie of images with careful center / right corner / left corner focus @ f9. Still have to analyze them but adjusting focus (live view & focus aid) on the right corner seems to give better overall focus than focussing on the center of the frame on my lens.
    Quite annoying to check with the poor LR5 RC sharpness or the strange Sony IDC software.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    This is very sparkling!
    How much pp (and what) was needed to achieve this?
    And which lens?
    thorkil
    Developped using Sony IDC raw developer (that is applying very strong default sharpness that needs to be calmed down) then just PS reducing for the Web. I believe the sparkling effect also comes from the hard diffuser used on the flash head. Crop from Canon 24mm TS mkII lens.

Post Thanks / Like

And here is one with the WATE (which, as expected, looks just fine).

the River
    Jono:
    What a great shot. In addition to envying you that great lens, I envy the fact that the trees in your neck of the woods still have leaves and the water is still liquid.

Best regards,
    John
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have ground down the front filter ring on an Olympus pen F 38/1.8 and most of the extreme dark corners have lightened up. It still looks like I will have a bit more grinding to do. May be later. It is a fantastic lens (more on that later) also the cheapest and easy to find of the pen F lens series.

At ~0.6m

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Sony A7R, Olympus pen F 38/1.8, f/2

Vignette correction was done in LR.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am yet to get the "feel" for it for street.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another (~2 meters) in a typically cloudy day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

COngrats on the purchase, Jono, and incredible images so far!
    Hi Ashwin
    Fun while it lasted, but mine is now packed up and ready go to back to WEX (all organised).

I just realised that there wasn't a situation where I'd pick it over either the M(240) or the E-M1 to get me better images . . . so it was silly to keep it. (I've started a separate thread about it if you're really interested).

I did love it though

Tim Ashley Told Me It wasn't for me - but I didn't listen!

Just this guy you know
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gerald,
    Testing the A7r with the Canon 24mm TS mkII & metabones adapter since 2 days.
    For me the good news are:
    I am quite satisfied by the Canon lens and metabones adapter build quality. The adapter fit the lens tightly, no play, that's good.
    Even at full shift on the 24mm length vignetting is not a problem at all.
    Shifting 12mm on the 36mm length of the sensor shows clear vignetting but I find it not extreme nor problematic (shifting DB on Cambo with Rodenstock lenses quickly brings this amount of vignetting too).

However my very first shots were disappointing, following 'first shots' were less disappointing but still not convincing.

2 Main issues:
    1. the look of the files when pixel peeping: soft micro contrast, missing details (like they are erased by a noise reduction setting) and jagged edges (saying 'hey, stop pushing those cursors, you won't recover the 'missing' details this way).
    After testing Image Data Converter from Sony I could find the sharp resolution I was waiting for from this camera. This software is too strange/limited to be used all day but at least it gives me hope that the LR5 release candidate will be optimized any time soon and give good results for the A7r.
    Using very conservative sharpness settings in LR5 RC like (25/0,7/0/20) and sharpen in photoshop works better than pushing the cursors in LR5 - but Sony IDC software still performs better for sharpness.

2. lens borders/corners resolution
    Point 1 is related to center resolution. Border/corner resolution is not really great, always...: few shots with blurred extreme borders and corners but mostly on the right side. Maybe due to an alignement issue ? need to deeper test it as it doesn't show up on every shot (maybe due to a missed focus or maybe related to the position of the moving tilting element of the lens ? don't know).

Okay, that's my early findings so far. Please share yours too.
    Hiya -

I'm beginning to wonder whether in fact part of my problem is with the Sony Image Data Processing software. I'm a bit lost to be honest as I've become so used to working with Capture One.

I've shot another bunch of images, this time upping the aperture to f/11. Initial ones were shot at f/5.6 (I was concerned about diffraction). The f/11 shots seem to be a lot better with regards sharpness across the whole frame. Perhaps part of it is technique as I'm not used to shooting handheld.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is that's nagging me, but I think it's something to do with the tonality. The images just seem to be a lot more "digital" than what I've become used to with the IQ180.

I'll keep on plugging away at it

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    The images just seem to be a lot more "digital" than what I've become used to with the IQ180..
    I have noticed the difference between my RX-1 and Pentax 645D. The Sony seems to have punchier saturation. Sony has also kept that Minolta warmth/yellow bias. The RX-1 images are fine, but the comparison is noticeable. It is kind of like the difference between Kodak and Fuji film.

Post Thanks / Like

The ZE 35/2.8 arrived yesterday.
    First impressions:

AF, not tested before because had no AF lens, is very fast with A7R, definitive faster than on NEX7 and RX1.
    The lens is small and light makes the 7 almost an RX!.

Sharpness is great wide open to the corners oc. a little less, improves with higher F-stops fast.
    It is, as i knew and expected, a completely different experience compered to adapted lenses. Will keep it fore for sure.

I think the Sonnar in the RX1 is a little better.

DSC04239.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

A7R ZE 35/2.8 @2.8

DSC04248.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Same as above

DSC04244.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

@F 4.0
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two from this morning

The first one was shot with the Noctilux wide open (f0.95) in the early morning light - I have to say, the focusing is really good - I managed to get quite a lot of running shots in reasonable focus.

The second shot was with the 50 summilux at f5.6 - amazing detail in this.

If you click on the title you should be taken to a full sized jpg.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice!
    That oak is going to die if nobody relieves it from its parasits.
    (or is there another tree behind it?)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two with the FE 35. (one grandson)

Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Vivek; that Canon lens is great!

A few with my favourite wide zoom on the NEX-7 for street work. As I thought, it works like a charm on the A7r as well.

Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Michiel. Stunning shots! Excellent image quality! Which adapter are you using?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Summilux 21mm

Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Ario. How do you assess this lens on the A7R?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Jono

Sad news you are returning it. Guess your trip back was 20+ minutes versus the day you went to pick it up.

I will miss your great images and your meaningful input.

@ashwin

Did you order your camera overseas or get the first US copy? Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Too early to draw a conclusion, I just got today a good working adapter, but I think this is another good M wide for the Sony A7R. With this one and the WATE I can easily cover my ultra wide needs.
    Between 21mm and 35 mm I think I will manage with Leica R, Nikkor an Pentax SRL lenses, above I do not foresee any problem.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like

Vario-Elmar R 1:4 35-70 ISO 6400 1/25 s
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net