The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon M.

re: Fun With Sony _____

Nice capture Dave - a view of El Cap that I haven't seen before.

Here's one from an early morning outing, to bad the clouds were so thick they didn't light up as that would have been stunning.

a850 640iso, 20/2.8 @ f4.5, three images @ 5s, 20s, 30s manually blended

Jim DE

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

One from this morning:

Nex5, Kipon adapter, Contax G 45mm F2 lens, Singh-Ray filter

Last edited:

Jim DE

Barjohn .... was that taken with the NEX or the X1??? I was a bit unclear when I read this...

barjohn

That was taken with the NEX. I was being sarcastic because the X1 owners claim the problem with the NEX is that it can't produce sharp images like the X1.

Jim DE

OK, Thought that was a NEX image but was not positive...... Thanks John... Great shot!

retow

NEX & leica lens or NEX & NEX. In case the former applies, it would be prove that the NEX needs Leica to perform (or Contax). Whereas the X1 is and has Leica ;)

Jim DE

Barjohn...... there MUST be something wrong with anyone who wants to shoot a NEX. :)

Dang fuzzy images ......... you would have to be blind to like them!

retow

Lens was a Leica 40/2 cron.
Nex needs Leica. Leica does not need Nex. There seems to be general consensus that the Nex sensor is darn good, but.........
If Sony fixed the missing part they would have a winner. And if I had picked different numbers on my lottery ticket.....
Now it's competing in the "almost made it" category.

Jim DE

:) retow

If we all won the lottery we would all own Leica M9's with a full compliment of lenses. But............???????

I am still extremely happy with my little "universal digital light box" (NEX5). It is nice to have one camera body that can use all my various make lenses. To me that and the extremely nice CMOS sensor is "everything" about this camera. It brought the fun back to photography for me.

I am even getting simple with this little thing like as I did today .... used a Singh-Ray blue/gold polarizer and a reverse grad ND 3 stop filter for various beach shots. You'd think I had a Mamiya RB67 out there the way I am "gilding the lily" with this :):) Think I am having fun or what?????

Last edited:

barjohn

I was wondering just how much better the Leica 40/2 was than the 18-55 kit lens. I shot a resolution target using a tripod with both lenses. I set the aperture to f5.6 on both and the kit to 40mm. Manual focus on both with several tries and selected best of each in raw and processed in LR 3. Everything was set to match and lens correction was applied to the kit lens and some vignetting correction to the Leica lens. Here is the comparison shot in the center, upper left corner and lower right corner.

Center

Upper Left Corner

Lower Right Corner

The Leica resolves to about two steps further up the chart when I look on screen and is much better in the corners. Those two steps seem to be what makes a difference in images shot with both.

retow

NEX does not need Leica.

Leica do not need NEX either.
My post was written in a certain context. And yes, lens wise, Nex seems to need Leica (or Contax, or other excellent optics). Otherwise the sensor's full potential remains unused. See Barjohn's excellent portrait, no way the kit lens could have pulled this.

V

Vivek

Exactly. NEX does not need Leica.

Is John's lens a 40/2 Summicron or a 40/2 M-Rokkor?

Whatever it is, it makes a very unflattering portrait lens.

sebboh

one note: if you want to test lens sharpness you should probably turn off the lens profile corrections in lightroom as the distortion correction will actually reduce sharpness on the edges. i'm sure the cron will still do much better than the kit lens (as any decent prime longer than 35mm should at f/5.6).

Jim DE

One from today's walk..........

NEX5, 45mm f2 Contax G lens, Singh-Ray filter, F16 at 25 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.