The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

emr

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Jerry, was that snow & swing photo really shot at f/1.5? Or do I understand your description all wrong? Because I'd expect the DOF to be much more shallow at that aperture.

Jerry_R

was that snow & swing photo really shot at f/1.5
Hi Emr!
Yes, it was at f/1.5. The swing is not so small, so I had to move back significantly. And from other side - background is not so faraway.

But to be sure, I took camera and shot the scene similarly at f/1.5, f/2, f/4, f/5.6. The same effect at f/1.5.

Braeside

re: Fun With Sony _____

I did my first concert on Friday, actually a dimly lit club where my Niece and nephew were performing live in their band "The Industry".

I bumped into a music journalist who had turned up without his photographer, so offered to take some photos for his review of a couple of the bands.

Shot it with the A900 plus 135/1.8 and 24-70/2.8 zoom, mainly at 1250 ISO. Thought the Sony handled it well. The lighting was awful, dim, predominately RED spots on the vocalist.:mad: Still...

I really enjoyed the experience, getting too close to the speakers and fumbling in the darkness to change lenses. :ROTFL:

Put together a couple of slideshows on Zenfolio:
The Industry (slideshow - royalty free music, not theirs):

http://braeside.zenfolio.com/the_industry/slideshow

The Deco Arcade band slideshow (slightly more headbanger music for them).

http://braeside.zenfolio.com/deco_arcade/slideshow

Some of the more unusual shots:
Monochrome conversions worked where sometimes the red was too much:

Also some colour monochrome on this one

Jerry_R

kitsVA;261869[url said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitsva/collections/[/url]
Hi!
I found below sentence on your Flickr:

"Slowly begining to enjoy manual focus with Rangefinder lens on my NEX. I took several person Portraits with kits lens and Zeiss and I wish I took all the pictures with Zeiss but the pressure to capture kids pictures forces me to use Auto-focus for them"

Maybe try to close down your lens and use zone focusing.
If you use kit zoom - it ist closed down already anyway.

G

GaryW

I used 3 weeks for a japanese trip my NEX5 + FD85L1.2.. and little by little I gave up because MF was like a pain compared to my 5DMKII..
Results were almost acceptable, but without the new firmware I wouldn't recommend NEX5 ..
I find MF much easier/more reliable on Nex than my DSLR. It's the zooming MF assist that makes a difference.

I didn't try the new firmware.. but actually I won't recommend the NEX5 for travelling !!! MF is like a pain compare to MF with a 5DMKII and standard zoom is really to weak compared to MF lenses (Tokura, Canon FD, Samyang, etc etc)
Even compared to my cheap a-mount lenses, I can see that the kit lens suffers in the comparison, but I do have to really pixel peep. And overall, the sharpness is adequate and the bokeh is pretty good. I find it usable, and then I rarely need to mf (although I have dmf set on for that purpose).

But I find it a great travel lens/camera as I get better quality than a p&s but the kit lens is compact enough. If I were a pro or needed the best results, I'd be more concerned, I guess. When I have the space or time to use adapted lenses, it's great to have that option, but for now, the kit lens is the default.

Jerry_R

NEX + Zeiss Sonnar 1,5/50 ZM
PS: when you go with such a small combo whole day - it is hard to remember aperture for each photo. I was palying between f/1.5 and f/4.

(ISO 200)

(ISO 1600)

(ISO 1600)

(ISO 3200)

(ISO 800)

(ISO 800)

Salt And Pepper - Rock Salt and Black Pepper. Shot with Minolta 1x-3x Macro Zoom at 3X, stack of 37 images. Subject was on Minolta SC-1000 slide copy stage, illuminated from above and below with Minolta RS-1200 ringflashes at 1/32 power. This is one of my first shots goofing around with the new toy.

M

meilicke

Salt And Pepper - Rock Salt and Black Pepper. Shot with Minolta 1x-3x Macro Zoom at 3X, stack of 37 images. Subject was on Minolta SC-1000 slide copy stage, illuminated from above and below with Minolta RS-1200 ringflashes at 1/32 power. This is one of my first shots goofing around with the new toy.

That is pretty darn fantastic. :thumbs:

When you say 'stack of 37 images', what did you do with them? Combine them all into the final image? For what purpose?

Thanks Scott. At this magnification, DOF according to an old table from the film days(when this lens was made) is less than 0.5mm at f/64. I feel that the DOF is quite a bit less on this sensor(based on my own notion of what the CoC ought to be). The 37 images were taken at different distances, so each frame had the thin slice of "in focus" subject area covering different parts of the subject. "Focus Stacking" is a process whereby the sharpest part of each frame is selected and they are combined to create more DOF than is possible with the optics.

M

meilicke

Ah yes, that is what I was thinking. It reminds me of astronomy photography.

What software are you using to do the merge?

mazor

here is an image captured with Nex 5 and 18-200mm lens. Loving it!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

so good that my 5D found it hard to keep up with its heavy 100-400L lol

mazor

Status
Not open for further replies.