The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jcoffin

re: Fun With Sony _____

I took my sons to the local wildlife refuge this weekend...

pegelli

There's lots of people having fun with Sony this month.

Dyxum is running "April Foolishness", a month long pic-a-day challenge with just one prime lens.

See here for the subforum.

I have selected my most expensive body (the A850) with my cheapest prime (a Helios 35/2.8 M42 lens from a "10 €" grab box at a local camera store) :toocool:

Here's a few of my submissions sofar:

Check it out, these crazy challenges bring out a lot of creativity in people. :salute:

J

jcoffin

@Pegelli: Based on the results, I'd say the lens needs no apologies. Pixel-peepers might not approve, but they're still some pretty darned nice pictures.

pegelli

@Pegelli: Based on the results, I'd say the lens needs no apologies. Pixel-peepers might not approve, but they're still some pretty darned nice pictures.
Agree, for the price I payed I can't fault the lens :thumbup:

However it can produce some funky bokeh when you have the wrong background:

Also closer to the borders it can create some interesting "glows" around the light areas that are sometimes fine, but also sometimes not desired (see above the right bud):

However I'm having fun with it, so no complaints really.

J

jcoffin

@Pegelli: I have to admit that bokeh isn't the most attractive. I've seen quite a few lenses produce at least a little of that glow effect, at least under some circumstances, so I'd have a harder time faulting this particular one much on that account though.

Moon @ 1200mm f/5.9 - 50% crop(3021 pixels on long edge). Still some work to do collimating and addressing vibration/focus issues, first challenge to conquer was achieving infinity focus. I finished those mods last weekend but it wasn't until last night that the weather and the moon cooperated. Moon was only 24° above horizon, catching it overhead will help too -- less air in the way. :D

The setup:

Thanks Ed. Just getting started... weather permitting I may have experiments with another new toy(or two) posted soon. :toocool:

C

curious80

Warming up my newly acquired a580. Nothing special, just some shots of stuff lying around at home ....

Nice pics Ed, at first I was wondering what you had to drink before shooting the first one but after a second look I see what's going on. :) Great bokeh in the second one, beautiful colors.

A little experiment from earlier today... Same scope setup and final crop as above but with about a 16.5-stop equivalent filter. Sunspots anyone?

Thanks Ed, I'm certainly having fun. I'm looking into a hydrogen filter to bring out more detail on the surface of the sun. I finally got around to putting the M screen in my camera, combined with a 2x magnifier it really helps with focusing the beast. Here's an example from tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.