Site Sponsors
Page 94 of 147 FirstFirst ... 44 84 92 93 94 95 96 104 144 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 7310

Thread: Fun With Sony _____

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I've gone through each page of this thread and to say I'm blown away by most of the images posted is an understatement. Sign me up I'm sold...well almost...and that's because of the worry regarding wide angle lens performance on the A7r.

There are times I need near optimal edge to edge sharpness at focal lengths of 18mm, 21mm and 28mm without color casts (even though there are specific ways to reduce it... and from all I've seen and read, it can be problematic with a substatial majority of lenses with these focal lengths. I've seen the Leica 21mm f3.4 and that looks good as does the VC 35mm f1.2 and 18mm f4 Zeiss-M. The Olympus lenses look promising, maybe perform better on the A7r than the Leica M lenses in general.

I hope there can be a greater percentage of postings with these and other wide/ultra wide angle lenses in order to clearly delineate where and with what lenses lie issues relative to their interaction with the sensor...esepcailly in real world shooting. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I've gone through each page of this thread and to say I'm blown away by most of the images posted is an understatement. Sign me up I'm sold...well almost...and that's because of the worry regarding wide angle lens performance on the A7r.

There are times I need near optimal edge to edge sharpness at focal lengths of 18mm, 21mm and 28mm without color casts (even though there are specific ways to reduce it... and from all I've seen and read, it can be problematic with a substatial majority of lenses with these focal lengths. I've seen the Leica 21mm f3.4 and that looks good as does the VC 35mm f1.2 and 18mm f4 Zeiss-M. The Olympus lenses look promising, maybe perform better on the A7r than the Leica M lenses in general.

I hope there can be a greater percentage of postings with these and other wide/ultra wide angle lenses in order to clearly delineate where and with what lenses lie issues relative to their interaction with the sensor...esepcailly in real world shooting. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
    Dave, from reports, I thought the Leica WATE work well (?) ... seems like that would be the dream WA lens, and be easier to work with than on a M camera with the Frankenfinder.

One thing we discovered while doing some tests yesterday is that a few WA lenses did vignette, but it was true vignetting as opposed to added rainbow color casts. One was easily adjusted, the other darn near impossible.

Good luck!

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marc! Early on I had carefully read that posted report regarding the exceptionally good performance of the WATE on the A7r, exhibiting little or no color casts nor corner smearing but unfortunately the same couldn't be said from quite a few of the other wide/ultra wides tested. I can live with vignetting, which I expected, especially with non retrofocused designed lenses used on adapters (correct me if I'm wrong) but cannot accept readily color casts or mediocre-to-poor sharpness in the corners. Has it generally been established with regards to the Sony sensor that adapter mounted retrofocus designed wide angles do better than the non retrofocused wides with regards to corner and color cast issues with the A7r? I eagerly look forward to yours and others in depth observations with these wider lenses.

The WATE does appeals to be ideal but unfortunately I sold mine long before there was even a hint of the A7(r) and reacquiring one is unfortunately at a steep premium. Love the thought though that the Frankenfinder would no longer be needed. If only I had known.

The Leica 21mm f3.4 appears to do well as does the Zeiss ZM 18mm, but not so with the Zeiss ZM 21mm f2.8. From what I've heard and seen it's somewhat of a mixed bag with the various non SLR 24's and 28mm lenses. Guess each lens has to be evaluated individually. Again thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

If you need edge to edge sharpness, you can safely rule out the 21 SEM at least on the A7. I tried it (with Novoflex adapter) and the corners were VERY BLURRED at F3.4. It improves a bit at F5.6. Central sharpness and colors were excellent, though. Maybe it works better on the A7R (I only have A7) and YMMV.

A shame as this lens shines on the M9. Lens was deposited back in the locker today.

I will try the WATE tomorrow if it does not rain here.

- Eeraj

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by jaree; 4th January 2014 at 20:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Posted these in LUF and reposting here in case they are of some use:

35Mm Summilux ASPH (FLE) on A7. No correction applied to vignetting or any (invisible to me) color cast. First one at F1.4, second at F8, 3rd one crop from the F8 picture (about 20% of the frame).

Very harsh light, A7 handled it very well. If this continues, my M9 will be up for sale soon.

I ***shudder*** to think what this camera can do with something like a Zeiss 135/F2.

- Eeraj
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed that the 21 SE doesn't play well with these cameras
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    I ***shudder*** to think what this camera can do with something like a Zeiss 135/F2.

- Eeraj
    Its pretty f'ing spectacular.
    Aravind
    www.akimagery.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Agreed that the 21 SE doesn't play well with these cameras
    Nor the 18 SEM or 24 elmar-m

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for both your posts and info Eeraj and also to Ashwin and Aravind for passing along your findings, much appreciated! I wonder though how your observations might have been different if shooting with the A7r instead of the A7. That is where I believe the issue with wides and ultra wides becomes quite pronounced. Obviously the thought of owning and using both the A7r and a Leica M9 (or M) in unison with Leica M lenses no longer seems like an ideal situation (with regards to use of the wides).

Aside from the WATE, it seems that one might have to wait to see what Sony (Zeiss) has up it's sleeve in the near future for these wider focal lengths lenses (15mm to 28mm). As popular as 35mm on up is, it would be unfortunate if the Achilles heel of this system is the wides/ultrawides.

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FE 2.8/35
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bow wow...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few from today, with the 55 FE...

Holiday Burnout

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Pike Place Market, Seattle. A7 with Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8.

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, looks like with think and process alike. Love the shot of the honey and the great wheel in the middle of the last set...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, looks like with think and process alike. Love the shot of the honey and the great wheel in the middle of the last set...
    Ash: Thanks! It's fun to see our differing, but similar, "takes" on what we were shooting. That Noctilux of yours excells on the A7!

Here's a couple more that match yours.

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A little close focus, DOF, fun in our library with the A7 and Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8.

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarcB83 View Post
    Nice shots Werner! Is the 18mm the Zeiss on a Nikon mount? If so, how do you like it? Any comments vs. the Zeiss 21mm? I have the Zeiss 21mm but would like to change for the 18 for weight and space reasons.

Thanks!
    Hi Marc,

the lens is ZE, Canon mount and i am using it with the Metabones smart III adapter.
    It works superb with the A7R with an extreme sharp center and very good corners. Vignetting is strong wide open and there can be Ca's with extreme backlit. Both can be handled in PP very easy.
    There are more examples and a photo of the combination plus a small discussion above in the thread.

There is a profile for the lens in LR 5.

I can not comment on the Z 21 Distagon because i do not have hat lens. IMO it is to big (long) and to heavy withe the A7. The 18 makes a nice combination.

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Werner,

Thanks for the response. One last clarification: if you use a Metabones Smart III adapter, it must mean you that have to shoot in APS-C size capture?

Metabones in their documentation says that the Smart III adapters are not full-frame compatible. Which is why I picked the Nikon-mount version which allows one to use any straight adapter (but without all the other benefits of the Smart III adapters...).

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,
    no the Metabones Smart III is FF, its the Metabones SpeedBooster thats APS-C!

My comment to the lens is to its FF performance!

The adapter handles aperture in this case automatic because the ZE Canon Mount has no manual aperture ring. The Exif's are written to the file as seen : 18mm F3.5.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Late at the pebbles beach.

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Michiel,
    as always superb!
    Love landscape with longer lenses.

That Canon FD 100/2 seem to be excellent!
    Have the Leica Apo-Macro R 100/2.8 which works excellent as well on the Sony. Though it is a little heavy and long.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Dave, from reports, I thought the Leica WATE work well (?) ... seems like that would be the dream WA lens, and be easier to work with than on a M camera with the Frankenfinder.
    The WATE does appeals to be ideal but unfortunately I sold mine long before there was even a hint of the A7(r) and reacquiring one is unfortunately at a steep premium. Love the thought though that the Frankenfinder would no longer be needed. If only I had known.
    Well, of course, you don't need a frankenfinder on an M camera anymore - at least, not on the M(240), where the LCD is really useful for framing with the WATE - my frankenfinder gathers dust.

I found the WATE to be good on the A7r - but it didn't seem to be as good as it was on the M - I've been trying it on the A7 today, but haven't really checked the results yet.

As for other WA M lenses on the A7r - I think the modern 21 and 24 'lux lenses are likely to be okay(isn), but expect corner smearing on anything (up to and including the 50 'lux).

Like you Dave (and unlike many) I do (sometimes) need sharp corners. My feeling was that M lenses aren't that successful on the A7r if that's what you want. Even the 75 'cron left me feeling kind of empty. I reckon that native lenses and SLR lenses designed for a longer distance to the rear element are a probably a better bet. . . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Werner,

Thanks a lot for the clarification! It was my mistake since on Metabones product page, it states for the Alpha 7's: "Mark III supports auto "APS-C Size Capture" with EF-S lens". Not being entirely familiar with Canon lenses, I interpreted this as being the case for all Canon lenses, when it is only for Canon APS-C lenses...

Thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like

I generally gave up on M-Lenses with the Sony.
    I can use, for the special look, the Noctilux (have an old one) or the Cron 90/2 (old as well) but all other specially WW's are out for me.

I don't complain and use DSLR (all my Leica R and Canon L glass works excellent) instead.
    As others have shown very old and cheap lenses come to new live, which is great.

Here two with the R Apo-Macro 100/2.8

The sign reads:

" again/still
    always sick !

(poor beast.) "

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave (D&A)
    Hi Dave
    Here is the WATE on the A7 at f4 - not posted for it's artistic merit! However, it seems to me to be great. I have to say that my experience with the A7 in 24 hours has been diametrically exposed to my feelings about the A7r in that much time. 50 shots last night, mostly at 6400 ISO, 180 shots this morning, all hand held, and not a failed focus or a sign of camera shake.

Feets don't fail me now - A7 and WATE

Just this guy you know
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by W.Utsch View Post
    I generally gave up on M-Lenses with the Sony.
    I can use, for the special look, the Noctilux (have an old one) or the Cron 90/2 (old as well) but all other specially WW's are out for me.
    Hi There - I think you're quite right about M lenses.

Leica have put in huge amounts of effort to make them work good on the M cameras . . . . . one can't expect Sony to put in any work at all.

It was my big disappointment - and at the bottom of why the A7r went back to the dealer.

On the other hand (and many thanks especially to Ashwin and Matt for helping me along with the anguish ). For it's own sake I'm just loving the A7 - and the kit lens is better than any 400 lens deserves to be.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one is with the 60mm Macro R f2.8 at f4

An Apple A Day

Just this guy you know
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No Kit lens should ever be this good!
    with the humble 28-70 kit lens at 70mm:

Emma and the Dogs in Bier lane

Just this guy you know
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono regarding the A7 with your WATE. Although I can foresee a two camera system (the A7 & A7r) to cover a multitude of purposes, much as Guy has come to the same logic, it's the A7r that is the far more demanding one with regards to wides and ultra wides. Since its been reported the WATE is one of the few that does well on the A7r, I'm not all that surprised by your observations with it on your A7.

One question... It now seems many of the Leica M lenses were a disappointment on the A7r for a variety of reasons, do you feel with your A7, that your opinion of them has changed to some degree? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono regarding the A7 with your WATE. Although I can foresee a two camera system (the A7 & A7r) to cover a multitude of purposes, much as Guy has come to the same logic, it's the A7r that is the far more demanding one with regards to wides and ultra wides. Since its been reported the WATE is one of the few that does well on the A7r, I'm not all that surprised by your observations with it on your A7.
    I can see the point of a two camera system . . just . . . but the AA filter on the A7 seems to be pretty light, and for me personally (at least now) I don't think that dealing with the first curtain shutter slap is worth the rather incremental increase in print size that 36mp offers over 24mp. We shall see!

Added to which I'd guess that the number of ultra-wides good enough to make the most of the extra pixels is going to be few and far between. Certainly, I don't think the WATE performed as well on the A7r as on the A7.

One question... It now seems many of the Leica M lenses were a disappointment on the A7r for a variety of reasons, do you feel with your A7, that your opinion of them has changed to some degree? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
    Hi There Dave
    I haven't spent enough time with M lenses to get a handle on it . . . . I did use the 50 'lux a bit last night, and it did seem to have some of the old charm.
    Here is an example:

50 lux at f1.4 ISO 1000 1/80th

Slipper and Old Rose

Truth to tell, I didn't get the A7 to use with M lenses, it seems pretty clear to me that I'm going to do better using an M with M lenses, so that's what I'll do.

On the other hand I think there is probably a world of good, small legacy SLR lenses which might do very nicely on both cameras. Added to which the startling quality of the kit lens makes me hope that Sony and Zeiss will come forward with some wonderful native lenses.
    Last edited by jonoslack; 5th January 2014 at 06:50. Reason: wrong snap

Just this guy you know
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Feets don't fail me now - A7 and WATE
    In need of a rock and roll doctor's advice?

.. Chris
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    In need of a rock and roll doctor's advice?

………….. Chris
    . . . A doctor of the heart and a doctor of the mind - indeed!

. . . if you like the sound of shuffling' feat he can't be beat.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin - Gorgeous colors in this one. Reminds me of the M9's rendering. Which lens and can you share your general PP flow with the A7? Lightroom or C1?

Best,

Eeraj

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For the connoisseurs: rigid 50 summicron and double oufro ...

Bart ...
    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick pic of Sophie sitting in my chair.

A7r - 55mm FE
    Handheld @ ISO 1250
    1/100s - f2.8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Watching the sun go down.

Likes 29 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My first shot with Summicron 75 APO on A7R. A great match IMHO. And the A7R lets me shoot this handheld at 02:00. 400ISO, 1/160s, f:4.0.

DSC00135-1 par philippeberend, sur Flickr
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philber View Post
    My first shot with Summicron 75 APO on A7R. A great match IMHO. And the A7R lets me shoot this handheld at 02:00. 400ISO, 1/160s, f:4.0.
    And I've found the 90mm Apo-Summicron-M and 135mm Apo-Telyt to be good performers on the A7R as well. Thanks Philippe.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

@28mm

@28mm

@90mm

| leica vario-apo-elmarit-r 1:2.8-4.5/28-90 asph |
    Bart ...
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most unexpected with a new camera - we had an hour of sunshine this morning, and managed to get a walk in. Snip Snap I went with the A7 and the kit lens, and I'm pleased with the results.

Here are a few samples:

Sun Damage

Tyred

Waverney River

Just this guy you know
    Likes 18 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few taken today at Ithaca Falls and Cayuga Lake with the A7R+Sony 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Just handheld walkabout shots using shutter priority mode.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Three with the Noctilux, all at 0.95

hunting birds

watching Sim

Sim

Just this guy you know
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My nephew, James (A7R w/ FE35 at f/2.8):

DSC00664 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

My brother, Bijan (A7R w/ FE35 at f/2.8):

DSC00666 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

My nice, Ellie (A7R w/ FE55 at f/1.8):

DSC00628 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Another shot of James in his snow tunnel (A7R w/ FE35 at f/5.6):

DSC00661 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr
    Last edited by Amin; 5th January 2014 at 18:51.
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So many excellent images here, it hardly matters whether they were taken with an A7/A7r or not.

While I wait for the Leica R adapter to arrive (hopefully tomorrow), I took a few shots today with my A7 and the FE 28-70 "kit lens". I took comparable shots with my Nikon D7100 and the excellent 60mm AF-S micro-Nikkor....since both are 24 megapixel cameras. The Sony and Nikon shots were very much on par with each other, in my view.

Here is one of the A7 shots. Probably could use a touch more sharpening. I tend to err on the side of less vs more.

Gary

Last edited by bensonga; 5th January 2014 at 18:10.
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gary - Superb. This kit lens looks like a killer piece of glass and at the bundled price can't be beat.

- Eeraj

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    Gary - Superb. This kit lens looks like a killer piece of glass and at the bundled price can't be beat.
    - Eeraj
    I agree Eeraj. As images from others here have shown (much better than my own), the 28-70 is an excellent lens and a real bargain for the "kit price" of $300. My first thought was to buy the A7 body only, but I'm glad I went for the kit.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

*** Barbie Alert. Non-scientific test. ***

A7R + Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH.

I was able to borrow the doll and pony for a few minutes. Focus was on Barbie's right eye iris (on the circular catchlight to be precise).

Test "scene":

and now the crops:

F1.4:

F2.0:

F5.6

Other apertures available on my Flickr photostream.

- Eeraj
    Flickr: brownxy's Photostream

Post Thanks / Like

A couple with my A7r. Both with 28 Summicron.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

*** Pony alert. Non scientific corner test, operator error may be involved. ***

Sony A7 + Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH.

Test "Scene", focus was on the heart in pony's eye:

F1.4:

F2.0:

F5.6:

Other apertures on flickr.

-- Eeraj
    Flickr: brownxy's Photostream
    Last edited by jaree; 5th January 2014 at 19:05.