The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglasf13

re: Fun With Sony _____

Thanks, Douglas.

I think the C1 5.1 does a great job with fringe and CA reduction...and at normal print sizes it does seem that only a few prints would be affected. At 4.0 and smaller aperatures it seems to be pretty much gone so for landscapes not too much of an issue.

I avoided the lens at first but after demo-ing it here I knew that I could make use of the focal length.

Bob
Unfortunately, although c1 does a good job with fringe and CA, LOCA is tough to remove with any program. Even at small web sizes, I see the green under the chair in the background of "Windsor Chair." Don't get me wrong, though. Wonderful shots with my second most used lens.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Douglas,

You are correct. I had to look at the picture a couple of times to pick it up as I am writing on a Net Book with a small screen ... did not even notice it prior to your reply. I will look at the original file tomorrow...it is a funny place for CA as it is not an area that has a large highlight. I was pleased to see little CA along the filials of the Windsor Chair itself...much worse with a 35 Summilux in similar light on a M8.

I have had little time to adapt to the Sony and the lenses but have to say that this lens draws such a nice image it will be one that sees a lot of camera time.

I assume that for the occasional exceptional file that show long.Ca in prints I will resort to masking and color desaturating the most eggregious areas or using Silver Efex if I cannot get a decent correction. I love the focal length at 85 but will succumb to the draw of the 135...just need to divest a few remaining Nikon pieces to feel good about buying it.

The Old Tree was exposed with ISO 320 after I read a thread by Iliah Borg concerning noise and the A900...does anyone have a feeling as to the lowest noise setting on the camera. I was pretty happy with the lack of apparent noise in the files at 320, seemingly not a lot different from 200. Today was the first big light day here...a week of overcast windy days gave way to brilliant blue clear sky day after a cold front moved through.

I was reminded that Steady Shot while a help really is far from what this ultra resolution sensor likes....locked down with mirror up or shutter speeds at 1/500 or faster. Amazing files when everything is perfect and very very good files in a pinch.

Bob

Last edited:

douglasf13

At wider apertures, the LOCA on the ZA 85 tends to show up wherever there is a dark subject on a white background. See: the back slats of the middle chair in your pic "Breakfast Table." All of that being said, it is certainly a wonderful lens, and the LOCA often goes unnoticed.

I also shoot at ISO 320. As far as ISOs relating to noise, it goes something like this:

ISO 100: simply a +2/3 overexposure of ISO 160, so only useful with jpeg
ISO 160: lowest amount of grain, less DR than ISO 200, blotchy/color shifted shadows
ISO 200: Most DR, nice amount of grain, blotchy/color shifted shadows
ISO 320: slightly more grain, good shadows

I use ISO 320, because of the shadow issue, which negates the DR advantage of ISO 200. The issues don't always show up in my images, because I often like to clip my blacks in the converter a bit to make them true black. However, when one wants to boost shadows to increase the DR of a scene, below ISO 320 becomes a problem. It's all trade offs.

Anyways, sorry about the tech talk. Keep the images coming!

jonoslack

More lovely shots Bob.
Like my kitchen stuff, one is the interpreter . . . the boss makes the space!
As far as CA is concerned - I don't have the 85 f1.4, I wonder how Aperture 3 would deal with it (I've found it to be really good with CA generally.)

all the best

jonoslack

A stormy walk
These are both with the lowly 70-300G (I still love it!)

You can't do better than that flash of sunshine after a rainstorm.

Pictures like this one above remind me how much I like the way the A900 deals with colour - it retains some subtlety and gets the balance just right.

Nothing subtle about this shot:ROTFL: (but I still think the colour is spot on).

douglasf13

Great shots, Jono. I'm still using your WB color technique and loving it. Daylight or
tungsten. Period.

As for loca, I've tried just about every converter, and loca is hard to remove with any of them. I think it actually does contribute a little to the look of the lens, though.

douglasf13

It's beautiful and simple. Shoot either daylight or tungsten. That's it. It really gives one a sense of how the camera sees color, and certainly reminds me of shooting film. Just say no to AWB. lol.

p.s. although I sometimes shoot uniWB and change to one of the above in the raw converter.

jonoslack

Thanks sir , I'll do it .

Cheers
Go There!
Douglas is too kind though - it wasn't my idea originally . . . .I'm afraid my old age precludes me from saying who it was.

The idea is that if you always shoot daylight in the daytime, then you really get to understand the camera (like using one film stock).
Better than that, in the daytime it looks like daytime, and in a warm sunset it looks . . . erm . . warm and sunsetty!

dhsimmonds

Yep. I too took Jono's advice and I now always set up my WB the same way and it works! No more blue daffodil leaves Jono! That seems a million years ago now but I am forever in gratitude for your constructive critique on this forum.:D

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Go There!
Douglas is too kind though - it wasn't my idea originally . . . .I'm afraid my old age precludes me from saying who it was. (...)
:lecture: Sounds like one of robsteve's fundamental laws ... :)

J

Jjcra

A700 fun in snow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.