The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

re: Fun With Sony _____

And another - this one at 3200 ISO
The A900 may not be the best at high ISO . . . .but it's pretty good :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Beautiful images & young girl, your daughter I presume?. Obviously the oversight was working, she's very clean. LOL Happy Easter to you too
Eoin and Lloyd,

Thanks for the comments.

Actually the daughter of a good friend...she visits regularly with her younger brother when her mom has errands to run.

Bob

Eoin

... this one at 3200 ISO
The A900 may not be the best at high ISO . . . .but it's pretty good :)
Not referring to you specifically, but the more I use the a900 at high ISO the more I question others complaints about the un-usable or high noise above the 800 - 1200 ISO range.

Granted, some are professional photographers, requiring the "best" for their clients or their own personal standards and I fully accept that their needs are different to mine.:thumbs: But in all honesty, compared to what I remember of high ISO film the a900 does better IMO.

Viewing high ISO images on our super high res screens will always show up the artifacts or noise but in print a lot of this seems to blend away. And of course viewing a print at reasonable distance rather than 8 inches from the tip of your nose shows nothing short of outstanding results.

I'm always surprised when I have images that my critical eye wouldn't be exactly happy with, but the person for whom the print is for is blown away by the quality. Granted they are not art directors or advertising agents who have such different criteria.:toocool:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, leaving aside very high end professional work, the a900 is more than capable. Perhaps we spend to much time analysing the minute detail and flaws of an image from a given camera rather than the content and composition of the image it's self.

I'm constantly asked by family and friends for advice on good cameras to buy to get results like mine. They are flabbergasted by the cost of the body, completely taken aback by the price of a single lens let alone the 5 or so I have in the bag and then I blow there minds with the price of the computer, monitor, printer and disk storage system behind the whole setup. In fact it blows my own mind if I even stop and think about it. :ROTFL:

My usual advice to them is simple, photography is a life long passion and hobby of mine, I can take beautiful images with their consumer point and shoot without too much difficulty, so the basic advice to them is photography is a learning process, get the basics right and move on from there.

Sorry for ranting but just to say finally, all the above advice seems to have no effect on my personal desires, I still desire a M9 with a nice selection of leica lenses and l have a serious craving for a Hasselblad 205FCC and CFV-39. Guess I'm just a lost soul. :LOL:

Lloyd

Sorry for ranting but just to say finally, all the above advice seems to have no effect on my personal desires, I still desire a M9 with a nice selection of leica lenses and l have a serious craving for a Hasselblad 205FCC and CFV-39. Guess I'm just a lost soul. :LOL:
I agree with you (on all of your "rant", and have had a similar experience). As for the "lost soul" bit, I'd say that makes you rather typical around here. :D I know I'm in the same boat.

Last edited:

douglasf13

I agree with that, too. While I don't technically shoot over ISO 800, I frequently underexpose ISO 800 by 2-3 stops and push in the raw converter. LR3b2 noise reduction is so good that I rarely worry about lowlight now.

Lloyd

LR3b2 noise reduction is so good that I rarely worry about lowlight now.
A big :thumbs: on that... I posted some examples of the LR3b2 noise reduction over on the Digital Leica thread, and also the same image using the noise reduction in C1. I was very pleasantly surprised. Even pushing the C1 noise reduction to its limit, it wasn't nearly as effective.

fotografz

One with the 500 f8 mirror, ISO 320, 1/160(extreme crop):

Fantastic use of the 800 Dave! :thumbup:

Lots of resolution sure helps with extreme crops.

I gotta use my 800 more. Last use was an airplane show, and without AF it would've been a lot more difficult.

-Marc

J

Jjcra

I just can't get over the A900's guilty look/color. It seems uh.. well creamy, not sure how else to put it. My 700 colors seem harsh compared to it. I can't wait to get one.

Thanks Marc... I'm sure you meant 500... but yes, the lens is a lot of fun, and would be much less fun without AF. I think an airshow would be an exercise in frustration with a MF 500. :)

BTW, I finally used the 135 1.8 for something more than just testing, and there is only one word for it.... WOW! This was at an event last Weds. at work, the Emergency Response Team had a big drill, with lots of moulaged victims for the team to find, triage and treat in a building with the power killed. These are from the moulage session... don't worry, it's latex, colored corn syrup and make-up!

100% crop:

100% crop:

Both ISO 320, f/5, 1/125, handheld.

docmoore

A few with the ZA 85 ISO 500 SEfex in post.

Hose Reel:

Young Oak:

Cross Vine 1:

Cross Vine 2:

Bob

Mark K

I was shooting with my 25 year old Minolta 70-210/4
Light weight and acceptable quality with a lot of fun:D

Tex

Subscriber Member

Mark, that is a fabulous shot - print and hang it.

Is it a crop?

Some from the weekend, all at ISO 250 and taken from the East Peak of Mount Tamalpais:

20 @ f/8 1/800:

135 @ f/8 1/125:

135 @ f/8 1/1600:

20 @ f/8 1/320:

20 @ f/6.3 1/125(Sliver of moon 1/4 down from top of frame, center):

20 @ f/8 1/20(13 images stitched into 360° Pano):

docmoore

Dave,

May I inquire as to which 20? Minolta or Sony?

I assume they are the same but these are very good....love the pano.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.