The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

John - This looks like it stitched well. I need to do some more work with it. I did a couple yesterday that I was not completely pleased with. Need to get the speed right. I like how the camera shows it like a movie.

Greg Seitz

Greg -
These look really good. The good news about the reviews is they left us pleasantly surprised when we got the cameras rather than disappointed. LOL.

My box had no rear lens cap or body cap. I called Sony and they were sending a rear lens cap but a body cap is still a mystery part that I can't locate through SonyStyle. I assume the 16mm will have to serve that function. What came in your box?
Thanks Terry. Mine also was missing the rear lens cap and body cap. I guess they figured that we would never take the lens off!

barjohn

I shot a few others and they all stitched really well. Beginners luck :) The hard part is figuring out how to export them so they will show properly on the web and not having a roll printer, how to print for best effect.

Link to order M adapter please? :)

Terry

Link to order M adapter please? :)
None that I know of available yet. I looked on ebay for NEX adpaters and there is a Canon FD one from Jinfinance. They make a lot of m4/3 adapters so I sent them an email. Response was they would have one in about a week. Go onto ebay and do the same thing. Send them your email address. They are going to email me when the adapter is available.

barjohn

By the way, I just discovered that LR 3 does not import the raw files. I saw the message that it didn't recognize the file formats but I thought it was still copying them into the folder so I formatted the card afterwards. Now I have discovered they are gone. Just a word of warning.

Terry

From the SF Pride Parade this AM. Shot it side by side with the A900. I will say it is great to have a live view camera for those situations where you want to get a different angle and it is easier to do without having to keep the camera at eye level. Next some B&W after this riot of color.

T

theprophe

thanks for the initial test, appreciate it. I have a gh1 and am considering a nex, what do you think of the sharpness of the two lenses compared to the 14-45mm and the 20mm?

barjohn

Terry, I am confused. I see two of the same image with the same file number, not one with A900 and one with NEX 5.

Terry

Terry, I am confused. I see two of the same image with the same file number, not one with A900 and one with NEX 5.
I edited the link. It should be OK now however they are not the same shots with each camera. I used both during the shoot but you will be hard pressed to tell me which camera each came from without looking at the exif.

barjohn

Terry, can you shoot some close up portraits with the eyes sharply in focus so we can see how well it focuses on the eyes? I lack a model for this at the moment or I would do it.

V

Vivek

Terry, The most striking difference I find between the NEX and the A900 shots is the way they are lit.

All of the NEX shots have the sunlight behind the subjects and the reverse with the A900 (which naturally look better).

This is why I would not want to be using a manual focus lens with an LCD only cam.

Any news/possibility at all if Sony would have an useful EVF for this cam or would it be only with the NEXT model?

T

theprophe

Sony did say they would be releasing an OLED EVF later this year, or at least it was a rumor

sorry, sony said nothing, its just a rumor,so it's anybodies guess

Last edited:

barjohn

I need some help from someone with more knowledge and experience to explain the following phenomenon to me. I shot an 18% grey card to day with the GXR and the NEX. Focal length was set to approximately the same focal length. The f stop was set to 4.5 for both cameras and ISO 200. The images were viewed in LR 3. The results are as follows:

CAMs Multi Center Spot Center Grey Measure (RGB)
GXR 1/45 1/45 1/45 (132.8, 131, 131)
NEX 1/30 1/25 1/30 (164.2, 164.2, 162.6) (166.7, 166.7, 165.2) (151.9, 151.9, 149.7)

Ideal (160, 160, 160)

On screen the Sony images more closely match what I see in front of me looking at the grey card. On the Sony images, the histogram peak is always to the right of center about .5 stops. The GXR image seems darker but the histogram shows its peak right in the center. Also look at the differences in shutter speed. Can anyone explain what might be happening?

barjohn

Not exactly. I'm really trying to understand the metering on the NEX and how it relates to the GXR and also to understand DPR's review. Here is the same shot, one taken using multi and the other center metering side by side.

Last edited:

barjohn

And here with GXR with multi and NEX with center weighted.

Last edited:
H

HarrisGraeberII

"The NEX-5 and NEX-3 are equipped with a powerful new 14.2-megapixel* Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor, specially tuned to deliver uncompromising still-photo and movie image quality. Equal in surface area and performance to the large, APS-C image sensors used in Sony's acclaimed α system digital SLR cameras, it offers exceptionally rich tonal gradation and true-to-life color. Proprietary Sony processing technologies are also incorporated directly into the sensor, assuring clean, low-noise signal output and ultra high-speed data transfer."

They don't tell you how they get the "rich tonal gradation". Seems the tuning is different.

monza

Terry, what's your assessment of the user interface as compared to the Panny and the Oly?

Status
Not open for further replies.