The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

I found the slow AF intolerable in the EP-1 and as much as I like many other facets of the GXR the AF is painful in all but optimum conditions. With the Sony it is ready to shoot when I am.
HI John
The AF on the Pens has been vastly improved by firmware updates - I just tried switching on my ep2 and taking a shot - it seems perfectly quick to me, and the AF (which was almost impossible before) seems fine.

So - question is, when you talk about the intolerable EP-1 are you talking about 4 months ago? or now? Important distinction I think. Unfortunate to tar the camera with an old brush.

P.S. great capture at ISO 1600

P.P.S. this is not me being an Olympus 'fanboy' - I'm seriously considering changing to the NEX, but the half hour I spent with it yesterday didn't suggest it was faster than the PEN, the kit lens was almost unusable at less than 35mm because of the distortion, there is no macro available, and the package with a zoom is bigger than the pen with the 14-42. On the other hand it felt fab, loved the metal stuff, images from you and Terry look really good, and the little lens was rather dreamy.

all the best

barjohn

Jono, to be fair I am talking back before the updates on the EP-1. I really liked the JPGs from the EP-1 but other than being sharpened in camera more than the Nex I don't think they are any better. The colors I am seeing from the SOny look good and very accurate. Like many others I would like to see more small primes but one always trades off something. The lens stabilization is quite good as you can see in the quick shot above at 1/8th second. Additionally, when I had the EP-1 the screen washed out in bright sunlight making it a true P&S as I guessed at what I was shooting and I couldn't review either (at the beach) still I got some good shots. The LCD when set to bright sun is very usable here in Southern CA in very bright sun. I haven't taken to the beach yet but I live inland near the desert and the sun here can be very intense.

Terry

Actually, the other place the NEX screen does well is in low light. I would say best in class for retaining visibility without lots of noisy grain and still seems to refresh quickly.

jonoslack

Hi John
thanks for clarifying that - it really has improved a great deal, even if it isn't quite as good as the GF1. I thought the screen on the Sony looked pretty good too. In bright sun I usually use the EVF with the Pen, which works okay, but I haven't been in a situation where I couldn't see the LCD.

So - Terry - do you think you'll be tempted to drop your Panny gear in favour of this?

all the best

Terry

So - Terry - do you think you'll be tempted to drop your Panny gear in favour of this?

all the best
Jono- m4/3 is a much more complete system with NEX having a lot of catch up to do on lenses (including distortion correction). If I had the equivalent of the 7-14, 20mm and 45 macro for the NEX it would start to be a more difficult decision. The other thing I love in m4/3 is my IR converted GF1. I have some great images from that camera. I leave for Ireland in about six weeks let's see what I decide to take with me.

John - I'm with you the image stabilization on the 18-55 lens is superb. I've been very surprised at the lack of motion blur at low shutter speeds.

jonoslack

Jono- m4/3 is a much more complete system with NEX having a lot of catch up to do on lenses (including distortion correction). If I had the equivalent of the 7-14, 20mm and 45 macro for the NEX it would start to be a more difficult decision. The other thing I love in m4/3 is my IR converted GF1. I have some great images from that camera. I leave for Ireland in about six weeks let's see what I decide to take with me.

John - I'm with you the image stabilization on the 18-55 lens is superb. I've been very surprised at the lack of motion blur at low shutter speeds.[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying Terry - another reason to stay where I am for the time being at least. In the final analysis, despite having adaptors and lenses I rarely use anything but the m4/3 lenses on the Pen.

One of the reasons for keeping the pen and dropping the GF1 was the body based IS. It seems odd that the NEX has it in lenses rather than in body like the A900, to keep it small I guess.

all the best

U

UK1

Hi, first post .... and registered purely to thank all the people posting in this thread because it was this thread that helped me to decide to buy myself the NEX5 (two lens kit!) because I'm pretty convinced it's exactly what I need.

I've long been a point and shooter and have had a 12mb Lumix for a while but wanted something that simply gave me a slightly better picture. The main thing is that I really want to keep it in the pocket because if it's in the wife's bag I'll simply not take as many piccies. So it should fit in the pocket with the pancake lens and then I'll request the bigger lens as and when it's required.

I only happened on the NEX5 a couple of days ago whilst flicking through a magazine and then started googling and reading. It is certainly a camera that polarised views. It seemed to me after a while that a couple of issues were shaping the views.

Firstly the main review that seemed to be the basis of most further discussion was a review of a pre-production unit. The second issue is that so many reviewers were reviewing it from the standpoint of a talented and demanding enthusiast hwo is predomently a DSLR user. It seems to me that this was a secondary target the main target being people who largely "knew no better" and wanted a superb point and shoot that could do a bit more on demand. I can quite see why it would be a totally inadequate camera as a second camera for a real enthusiast but for those that have never found how easy it is to set the ISO on a really easy camera - they will know no better and learn to use the NEX5 and be happy with it I'm sure. On the UK Sony site there's a useful little play with the camera where you can set the depth of field etc. There is a real market for someone who wants the quality of pirctures that have been posted here and a prepared to spend a few bucks more.

The other thing I'm looking forward to is currently my wife uses a pocket Sony HDR-TG1 as her camcorder which fits nicely in the pocket. We're thrilled with it but I'm looking forward to comparing what this will do in comparison which then may free-up a pocket. If it is comparable we'll buy the mic.

Anyway ... I just joined to say thanks.

Terry

UK1 - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new kit! As you start to use the camera it would be great to hear your thoughts in moving from the smaller sensor p&s camera to the NEX.

Terry

monza

We just received some NEX3s. Here are some comparison photos of an E-P2 with 17mm and the NEX3 with 16mm.

Sensor size comparison:

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Robert, Does the Sony 16/2.8 come with a hood?

BTW, the Samsung NX10 also has a bigger looking sensor than the one in the G1. :ROTFL:

Last edited:

monza

The NEX3 kit with the 16mm does not come with a hood. I'm not sure if the 16mm sold as a separate lens comes with a hood.

Here is a photo of everything that comes with an NEX3/16mm kit. The plastic case on the left is for the flash unit. The charger plugs directly into a wall outlet (no cord.)

[/IMG]

V

Vivek

Why would they bother to put a bayonet attachment part on the front part of the lens (16/2.8) if it is not for a hood and if they don't supply one or sell one? :confused:

Lovely flash case!

It will be really interesting if someone finds a way to make an extension cable for the flash.

wayne_s

Us Gearwhoredomites would like to see some shots with Leica or Zeiss M glass on the NEX5!! ;)
Anyone have the jinfinance M adapter yet?

monza

Why would they bother to put a bayonet attachment part on the front part of the lens (16/2.8) if it is not for a hood and if they don't supply one or sell one? :confused:

To use with the fisheye adapter, and the ultra wide adapter:

douglasf13

Thanks for the link, Monza. What I really need to see is a 35mm M lens on the NEX. If a 35mm lens performs reasonably well at the corners, then I'll order the camera ASAP.

Terry

Us Gearwhoredomites would like to see some shots with Leica or Zeiss M glass on the NEX5!! ;)
Anyone have the jinfinance M adapter yet?
They are supposed to email me when available. They indicated next week.

I think I read that the 16mm purchased on it's own has a hood. Supposedly the 18-55 hood fits on the 16 but not sure if it is the right size for a 16mm lens. I will let you know this weekend

monza

Thanks for the link, Monza. What I really need to see is a 35mm M lens on the NEX. If a 35mm lens performs reasonably well at the corners, then I'll order the camera ASAP.
This is going to be interesting. I'm hoping the 35/2 Planar Contax G works well on the corners, that makes for an effective fast 50 (well, 52.5mm, but close enough.) There is no edge smearing on micro 4/3 with that lens, crossing fingers there is no issue with the Sony either. :)

Last edited:

douglasf13

Agreed. The 35mm f2 Contax G is actually a Planar design, rather than a Biogon, and I have a feeling that may be why it performs better at the edges. Speaking of Biogons, has anyone here tried the ZM 35mm Biogon on m4/3? I'm curious how that lens would perform on NEX. Also the CV 35mm 1.4 Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.