The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

barjohn

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Down loaded and installed using Parallels! Now for some time to test it...Work just gets in the way of so many things. :)

Eoin

Hmmm - I have several M lenses . . . perhaps you'll have to make a detour on your Ireland trip (something somewhere says I owe you a drink . . . or was that a decent supper, or even both!).

(I wonder how it would work with the new 35 'lux?)
Huh! who is coming to Ireland?.

Terry

Huh! who is coming to Ireland?.
Moi....going on a 10 day workshop with Peter Cox through southwest Ireland. Arrive Aug 8 return Aug 20. I was going to build in more time after but was a bit afraid of flight disruptions if Iceland Volcano acted up. I'm going in and out of Shannon an didn't think there were forum members in the area.

Martin S

Terry

What equipment are u bringing to Ireland???

Good test for the NEX5???

Martin

P,.S. I'm a guest at a wedding this weekend, and will try out the NEX5. Hope the fast multiple shooting mode really works.

M.

Last edited:

Terry

A900 is my main camera. M4/3 has been my secondary system. I would like to not take too much with me and am considering the NEX's for that duty. I have more varied lenses for m4/3. I also have an IR converted GF1. So, tough decision. Nex 3 cheap enough to do a new IR conversion. My alpha to E mount adapter arrives this week so I will know more soon.

Martin S

Terry

Keep us posted on the Alpa lens adapter + Alpha lenses on the NEX5. It seems that the camera can control the f stop on Alpha lenses, but no such luck with non-Alpha lenses. I wonder if those non Alpha lens adapters will have an external diaphragm???

Thanks.

Martin

Martin S

Anyone know of any software that will correct the distortion of the new Sony lenses????

Martin

Eoin

Moi....I'm going in and out of Shannon an didn't think there were forum members in the area.
Ahh, I see now where you're going. Quite a distance from me in Dublin. Some nice parts of the country planned in there. West Cork would be a personal favorite area for me. Shame I haven't been there in years.
I doubt you'll have time for a trip to Dublin, but if you do, please drop me a PM as it would be lovely to show you my town.

V

Vivek

Ah! "Rockwell" to the rescue!:D

The firmware update introduces a nice feature that can be enjoyed with the Bravia TV.

This is great news! I am sure there will be offers soon when buying a Bravia TV.:)

Martin S

This is all well, and good.

But, how about making the upgrade usable on a Mac???????

With all the Mac users, I am surprised that Sony only added their firmware upgrade in a Windows format??????????

Also, the movie files don't seem to be readable by Photoshop, or IMovie????

Someone help.

Martin

barjohn

The latest version of BibblePro handles the NEX raw files pretty well. Here, side by side is the LR corrected JPG and the BibblePro adjusted RAW converted to a JPG. For some reason, what I am uploading doesn't match what I see in the application or when I open the JPG on the desktop. I'm adding the last image as a screen shot for comparison.

Last edited:

Terry

Do you have the colorspaces set differently srgb vs adobe rgb?

Rawfa

dxomark just posted their analysis. The NEX5 has 12,3 stops of dynamic range! That is incredibly high! The GH1 has about 11 and the E-P1/GF1 have around 10.

Terry

I started to do some work with the in camera HDR capabilities (need to have camera only set to jpeg - took a while to figure this out). The camera will you both the original exposure and the optimized HDR version. You can also set the strength (number of EV difference). Here are a few image pairs. Plenty or more work to do and to see how the resulting jpegs take any post processing. Over the weekend will see how this works on outdoor shots in less extreme lighting.

I'm pretty sure this was maxed out at the 6 stops.

I pretty sure I sent this to 3EV

M

Masterbrew

I've had my hands on the Nex-5 for two weeks now, thought I'd share some pictures and impressions.
It is my first camera and I think Sony had a spot with me when making this camera. I felt DSLRs were too big and advanced for a newbie like me to invest in and actually use. P&S didn't seem like enough of an improvement over cell phone cams that I would dedicate a pocket to one.

So now I have a Nex-5 with the 18-55, gotta say I'm enjoying it alot. And I'm looking forward to bringing it on vacations instead of borrowing my dads Digilux2, which I didn't exactly enjoy carrying around all day.

Here's some pics. These are unprocessed fine jpegs taken on iAuto:

These are pictures taken with the Auto HDR:
The original exposure.

The HDR.

Don't have the original exposure on this one, so posting only the HDR.

Panoramas:
This is a vertical sweep panorama going downwards set to wide, it covers about 180 degrees iirc.

The elephant house in Copenhagen, no elephants out sadly, set to standard width, panning right.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32538&stc=1&d=1278072614

Status
Not open for further replies.