The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

and a welcome from me too - interesting shots.
It seems to have lost the plot on the vertical panorama around the base of the tree (pity) otherwise it looks great.
How close does that zoom lens focus?
Did it take long to wipe the dog bogies off the front element? :)
Love the dog's expression, and I really like the shot of the door and the window with the birds too.

barjohn

Welcome to the forum. If you had tried the auto HDR you probably wouldn't have blown the highlights on the arch picture and you would capture more detail on the picture of the building with the birds. However, this is an easy camera to learn from and for all I know that was the effect you were looking for. If it was ignore my comments.

barjohn

Anyone that has done the upgrade, do you see any difference in AWB? It seems to me that in incandescent light the AWB tends to go heavy toward the reds and is one area Sony needs to improve the image. With the JPGs it can be hard to correct. Even with Bibble Pro 5 it still is not quite right adjusting the RAWs. I'll have to see what Sony's RAW converter does.

barjohn

How did he do this? How did the camera adjust for changes in lighting and focus with a manual lens (I assume the Zeis lens is a manual lens and I don't recognize the mount).

Here i a shot with 18-55 just a tad to close but it sure looks 3d. (wasn't shot in 3D mode.) Screen shot from Bibble Pro5 raw conversion.

Last edited:
M

Masterbrew

Thanks for the welcome and comments :)

I'm not sure how close it can focus. The dog was about 15-20 cm away from the camera, and i think iAuto tried to focus on the eye.

Didn't notice the messup in the panorama pic initially. I looked through the others I took and they don't have it. It was kinda hard to spin the camera around it's own axis at an even pace with my arms stretched out, it's more my fault than the camera :p

Someone posted this pretty impressive video taken by nex on dpr forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSjdobj0lQ

V

Vivek

How did he do this? How did the camera adjust for changes in lighting and focus with a manual lens (I assume the Zeis lens is a manual lens and I don't recognize the mount).

He makes his own adapters. That (use of a 16/2 Distagon in Arri mount on a NEX-5) means that he has that adapter.

Rabe also informed me that the Samsung NX-10 does not allow video captures while using non Samsung (manual focus) lenses. That cam/"system" is doomed.

barjohn

OK, I see that it is available in a variety of mounts so without knowing more it is difficult to say what he has and what he is doing.

Terry

I came upon this plant today. I don't know what it is but I really like it. Any ID would be useful. It was huge (and dense like a bush) and essentially impossible to both isolate and get all of the budding areas in focus. That being said, I do like this shot. These are standard jpeg colors with a little bit of the clarity slider.

one more

Amazing how close those were in color to the poppies a few feet away....

Diane B

What a neat plant. I really like the first also but appreciate the second one just to see its really sculptural shape. Totally foreign to me

The color match between the 2 is wonderful and that they were in the same area is interesting.

Terry

I was just out shooting for the whole day. Have lots of images to sort through. When I got home my A to E mount adapter was waiting for me. :D

It is very solid. I was afraid there would be stress on the camera but it seems really well made. My Minolta 24-105 is a bust because the NEX won't adjust the aperture. The 24-70 is shown below. I am NOT planning to walk around with lenses like this but to be able to use the Alpha glass on a tripod was my goal.

I will test it in use over the course of the rest of the weekend.

Terry

Working to learn good technique with the sweep panorama mode. I found a great tip at DPReview about using the camera in portrait mode and changing the sweep direction to "down". This yields a different shaped pano that can be very appealing. I still need to work out how to best deal with big exposure differences (camera locks exposure at first shot) and if I am better off starting from the side of the frame that could blow out and having the camera lock exposure from that area or just go the more comfortable direction with EV compensation. These are reduced to 1200 pixels.

Here are links the full sized versions (the wide one was compressed more to get to the allowable file size for upload). Click the thumbnail. Then click on the picture in the gallery and it will open to full size.

Teski

Fantastic shots Terry! Loving the 1st and 3rd! Hoping I get some killer panos in Munich and Moscow with this thing.

PSon

No interesting subject; some light and my kitchen.
Straight from the camera in bw JPG.

Terry

THe B&W tones look really nice to me. I haven't used B&W yet in the camera.

Terry

Last bit from today. Tomorrow I will play with the Alpha lenses/adapter.

the color version - also shot this in IR

what would a day be without a bridge picture from me :ROTFL:

M

Masterbrew

Can't wait to see your results with that lens Terry. Great panoramas, are they handheld?

Status
Not open for further replies.