The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

barjohn

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

fotoingo, how did you attach the strap to the bottom? Picture would help.

barjohn

Here is another interesting thing. I opened up the images in Bibble 5 Pro and took screen shots of the same multi pattern image in RAW and in JPG. There is a big difference.

Last edited:

barjohn

I am finding there is no comparison between the RAW files and the JPGs. The RAW files really show how bad the JPGs are in comparison. Download and try Bibble 5 Pro (trial version and see what I mean). The colors are more accurate as are the tones and shades.

Terry

John,
Are you sure you don't have the dynamic range optimization settings on?
It is in the Brightness/color menu. That could account for the differences in your jpegs and raws.

barjohn

Terry,

You are right. I did have it on. I will have to retest and see if that was the issue. Thanks for the tip.

V

Vivek

John, All such straps are old contraptions made for DSLRs. It screws onto the (bottom) tripod slot.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

You can buy straps which attach to the tripod socket or you can "build" one yourself like I did ;)

Last edited:

barjohn

I liked the way the Leica CL had both sets of lugs on one side and hung vertically rather than horizontally. I also liked the zip on soft leather cover that slid out of the way when you didn't need it but provided nice protection against minor bumps and scrapes.

V

Vivek

Well...I actually like the CL for the camera it is and even use to date. :)

Terry

Not every pano works.... The two examples below are good examples when they don't work. This is pre-firmware update....I need to find a windows machine to the do the upgrade.
Also, using adapted Zeiss lenses I was having a problem with the exposure on panos so you may need to use native e mount lenses.

barjohn

I reshot the same scenes with DRO off and the difference in brightness is reduced but there is a definite color shift toward yellow in the JPGs compared to the RAW file and the RAW files look better and more closely match what the eye sees.

barjohn

It appears that the Rayqual adapters will be available on the 9th for $210. I'm not sure it is worth that much more than the China made one. Any opinions? I could see a little more if it included electrical contacts with information and processing like the E to Alpha mount but for a pure mechanical mount it seems steep.

V

Vivek

It appears that the Rayqual adapters will be available on the 9th for $210. I'm not sure it is worth that much more than the China made one. Any opinions? I could see a little more if it included electrical contacts with information and processing like the E to Alpha mount but for a pure mechanical mount it seems steep.
Mine is this: Buy Sony DSLRs. Cheaper and more versatile.

This adapter business (especially at these prices), I really do not understand it at all.:confused:

RJ informs that he will be bringing out an Olympus Pen F adapter (besides the c, LTM and the M) and a 58mm lens reversing adapter for macros. Others have other adapters available at better prices.

Given that the NEX' lack an EVF, I really can not understand why anyone would buy adapters at $210/system.

The NEX-3/5 would make nice matches (in terms of compactness) with some of the c-mount lenses I have. Even a Leica M mount adapter plus lens is going to make it look big. Why bother with CaNiSony lenses plus adapters (unless one already have a whole range of lenses at their disposal)?

barjohn

I have been conducting low light high ISO testing comparing against the Ricoh GXR A12. One thing is very evident and that is the low light metering is way off. It (NEX) will underexpose the images by a considerable amount. When exposures are matched the Sony outperforms the Ricoh at ISO 3200 by a small amount (1/2 to 1 stop). It is hard to be precise because LR gives slightly different results than Bibble. Bibble can't process DNGs and LR can't process Sony RAW. It is furthest off using multi, but even in spot it is off. I am talking about looking at the histograms as a basis for determining whether exposure is off though it is pretty evident to the eye. This metering issue changes in good light which is very frustrating. Could I have a defective camera? Has anyone else seen this?

Terry

I have been conducting low light high ISO testing comparing against the Ricoh GXR A12. One thing is very evident and that is the low light metering is way off. It (NEX) will underexpose the images by a considerable amount. When exposures are matched the Sony outperforms the Ricoh at ISO 3200 by a small amount (1/2 to 1 stop). It is hard to be precise because LR gives slightly different results than Bibble. Bibble can't process DNGs and LR can't process Sony RAW. It is furthest off using multi, but even in spot it is off. I am talking about looking at the histograms as a basis for determining whether exposure is off though it is pretty evident to the eye. This metering issue changes in good light which is very frustrating. Could I have a defective camera? Has anyone else seen this?
John,
My suggestion is to read through the review at DPReview. Not sure of your methodology but in their tests ISO 3200 is really about ISO 4000. There is also information on the metering. I'm not too worried about getting too technical on this stuff and just go by what I see as real world camera output to see if it works for me and how high in iSO I'm willing to go.

retow

If you could only keep one, which one had to go. GXR A12 or NEX 5. I understand, it's all about compromising in one way or the other. If Ricoh only had the 28mm equiv. module out :eek:

monza

The NEX-3/5 would make nice matches (in terms of compactness) with some of the c-mount lenses I have.
The problem here is that few if any c-mount lenses are going to cover the larger sensor of the NEX series.

V

Vivek

The problem here is that few if any c-mount lenses are going to cover the larger sensor of the NEX series.
I bought a (RJ) c-mount adapter. Monday, I am clearing out a few old gear.

If all goes well next week (and before 20th after that I am on vacation for a few weeks), I will check it out quickly.

A 25mm Fujinon-TV, SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95, Xenoplan 25/1.9, a GE 36mm f/1.1,
others of longer FL are all excellent candidates in terms of coverage and compactness.

With the Samsung NX10 it isn't possible to check for coverage at infinity but there are many promising candidates. ;)

monza

Will be interesting to see the results. Sure would be nice to use those lenses with a 1.5x crop, but the image circle is likely too small.

V

Vivek

Handling these cams have swayed me. ;)

Incredibly tiny APS-C digi backs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.