The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Handling these cams have swayed me. ;)

Incredibly tiny APS-C digi backs. :)
So you are buying an NEX? Curious as to your thought on build quality (not optical) of the lenses. Metal outside plastic inside, metal mounts, feel great.

jonoslack

I'm finding all this fascinating - clearly they've done a good thing with these.
What's confusing me is my complete lack of desire for one (and I agree with Vivek, they handle really nicely).

I think it's because of the fact that something has to be BIG for the quality to be good . . . and if something has to be big, why not just go for the A900?

Still-keep 'em coming, loads of great pictures Terry - and the thing obviously does perform.

all the best

monza

The 40/2 should be pretty sweet on the NEX and compact, too. :)

Last edited:

Terry

Once the adapters get into the market (mine shipped today) I think this might become an interesting street camera as the tilting LCD allows you to keep it in closer to your body and still quickly focus. You can also use it as a waist level finder. I know the G1/2/GH1 have tilting screens but to tilt it needs to be out to the side. This is much lower profile. Never really considered the difference until using it.

barjohn

Terry, I am seeing the opposite from DPR as what I am seeing more closely matches DXO's measurements of the sensor being less sensitive than its rating, not more. I will post a comprehensive analysis as soon as I have a little time.

Eoin

What's confusing me is my complete lack of desire for one (and I agree with Vivek, they handle really nicely).

I think it's because of the fact that something has to be BIG for the quality to be good . . . and if something has to be big, why not just go for the A900
I really like what I've seen on this thread. Complements to you Terry, in your hands you seem to make the NEX sing.

Jono not everything needs to be big for quality, point in hand would be the M9 & M lenses. But I do agree with you, I can't see myself having to learn a whole new method of holding and shooting a ZA / NEX combo. I'm not going to invest in another lens/camera either. Guess I'll just have to tough it out with a slightly heavy camera bag for the moment.

jonoslack

I really like what I've seen on this thread. Complements to you Terry, in your hands you seem to make the NEX sing.

Jono not everything needs to be big for quality, point in hand would be the M9 & M lenses. But I do agree with you, I can't see myself having to learn a whole new method of holding and shooting a ZA / NEX combo. I'm not going to invest in another lens/camera either. Guess I'll just have to tough it out with a slightly heavy camera bag for the moment.
Quite right . . . perhaps it's owning the m9 which is the only sensible reason for not wanting a NEX! (I can't think of another good one).

Terry

Terry, I am seeing the opposite from DPR as what I am seeing more closely matches DXO's measurements of the sensor being less sensitive than its rating, not more. I will post a comprehensive analysis as soon as I have a little time.
There is a second section on the cameras metering in there that might help. Can't link to it right now but they did grey card tests to figure it out.

Terry

Eoin - I really do enjoy my m4/3 gear but it looks like I won't be taking it to Ireland. If my A900 has a problem my lenses are no longer a sac of dead weight. So, for NEX I will simply take the 16, 18-55, 50 lux, and the tiny CV35 color skopar - (if it works OK). Now that is a teeny kit.

Eoin

Eoin - I really do enjoy my m4/3 gear but it looks like I won't be taking it to Ireland. If my A900 has a problem my lenses are no longer a sac of dead weight. So, for NEX I will simply take the 16, 18-55, 50 lux, and the tiny CV35 color skopar - (if it works OK). Now that is a teeny kit.
True!, I guess that's why I have 2 x a900's, just in case. BTW, if you do run into such a problem when here you know where there is a couple of spares. :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

So you are buying an NEX? Curious as to your thought on build quality (not optical) of the lenses. Metal outside plastic inside, metal mounts, feel great.
I might (in a few days) depending on funds or else it will be later. The build is nice.

On the swivel TFT of G1 vs the half tilt of the NEXs for street, there is no match at all. The G1 still rules! :thumbs: Incredible versatility there!:)

Just like you, Terry, the compactness (especially taking to India) does figure in the equation besides the low light advantage (it gets very dark and very quickly in the tropics). I am weary of new batteries, software, handling (my hacked G1 is going with me for IR). Despite that, given the choice of 2 G1s or one G1 and a NEX-5 (the Samsung NX10 is out), it is a toss up.

Last edited:

douglasf13

I prefer the style of the NEX LCD tilt over the swivel hinges, because you can shoot it like a waist level finder more comfortably, and that is how I plan on using the camera.

V

Vivek

I prefer the style of the NEX LCD tilt over the swivel hinges, because you can shoot it like a waist level finder more comfortably, and that is how I plan on using the camera.
I have several thousands of street snaps with the G1s alone and I speak from actual experience. ;)

V

Vivek

CL body looks monstrous in comparison. :)
Being able to use a tiny 28mm lens successfully without any additional finder and being able to hold it comfortably makes the CL still attractive. The battery is tiny and last forever with the CL.;)

Transporting film and dealing with scanning is the crummy part.

douglasf13

I've used the same screen design with the low end Alpha DSLRs live view, and, as a former Hasselbald waist level user, I stick with my preference to the flip up and down design. It obviously isn't as versatile, but, since I'll be shooting a large majority of the time in psuedo-waist level finder mode, I prefer it. You can lock the camera right into the body, and everything is in line.

V

Vivek

I would not even dream of capturing something like that with the Sony half tilt LCDs (I am not that ambidextrous :( ).

Panasonic G1, Oly-D 17/2.8 plus a Ricoh 0.75X converter.

With square formats, I have enjoyed a few TLRs as well (and they all had shades around the GG).

Terry

Vivek, I'm with Douglas on this one. The G1 screen works great and is incredibly versatile and always thought I would prefer that implementation. However, in using the NEX for the past two weeks I've grown fond of how the Sony hinge works and how you are looking straight down at the screen, which seems to work really well with the ergonomics of this camera and the manual focus in particular.

Curious if when you were testing you pulled the hinge all the way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.