The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Anyone found a way to turn off the Shooting Tips button? I'd rather have that button do something else ...
I am using Aperture Prioirty or the Panos most of the time.

Aperture Priority
I turned off one set of shooting tips and now I have focus magnification as the bottom button (I keep focus set to DMF). The Help Guide Display is what I turned off. This option is in the setup menu towards the bottom.

Pano
I still have instructions but they are reasonably useful in this mode.

I haven't used Auto mode at all.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Anyone found a way to turn off the Shooting Tips button? I'd rather have that button do something else ...
Right now there is no way to assign something else to this button. Maybe a future firmware update will do the trick.

If you use the Sony Alpha Lens Adapter this button changes to "manuell fokus help" :)
(and brings the fokus magnification on screen. Once there you can press it again to double the magnification.)

barjohn

There is a funny looking number like EE238879798NN in your eBay receipt. It is an international USPS tracking number. Bring up the USPS web site and paste it into the track package and it will bring up the tracking info. Unfortunately, the USPS is not up to FedEx standards on tracking.

Terry

There is a funny looking number like EE238879798NN in your eBay receipt. It is an international USPS tracking number. Bring up the USPS web site and paste it into the track package and it will bring up the tracking info. Unfortunately, the USPS is not up to FedEx standards on tracking.
Sorry John I don't see that on my info from ebay. This is all I see

"Thanks for the purchase. Your item(s) has just been shipped via standard
air parcel mail"

V

Vivek

"Standard" will not give any tracking.

barjohn

I ordered express shipping. Here is the message I received:

Hi barjohn2,

Thanks for the purchase. Your item(s) has just been shipped via express
mail.

Please allow roughly 1 week for the delivery.

EE4303303XXCN

best,

R.J.

U

UK1

Pointer Request!!

I cannot see any mode that allows steadyshot to be activated ...... it's always greyed out in "setup".

Can anyone tell me under what modes this will work please?

Thanks,

Jeff

EDITED TO ADD: Think I've answered this for myself ..... doesn't work with pancake lens?

ustein

Contributing Editor

>Think I've answered this for myself ..... doesn't work with pancake lens?

Yes, works only with stabilized lenses. Makes sense :)

sebboh

just got my NEX 3 yesterday afternoon and have only tested it briefly with a zuiko pen f 42mm f/1.2. looks like it'll be pretty good for manual focus lenses. the only thing it's missing is a quick way to move the manual focus zoom box, one touch iso assignment, and maybe auto iso in manual mode (all things that could be addressed with a firmware upgrade). haven't tried out the pancake yet, because i've been more interested in the performance with the zuiko.
here are some samples (jpegs from camera with a little tweaking of curves and sharpening plus maybe a little vignetting added), nothing special just test shots:

monza

Nice shots, sebboh. What Pen adapter are you using? I assume the Pen 42mm covers the sensor no problem.

sebboh

no problem covering the sensor, there is a bit of vignetting at f/1.2 but only on one side - i don't have the lens centered because i don't have an adapter. i am using an RJ pen f to µ4/3 adapter and electrical tape (see pic). the NEX's exposed mount makes the lens easy to attach with tape while i wait for RJ's promised pen f to NEX adapter. since the µ4/3 mount is narrower than the NEX's i have to mount the lens slightly off center for stability. this produces a bit of wide opening vignetting on one side that is not noticeable to me in shooting when stopped down to f/2. even a f/1.2 it is no worse than a typical f/1.4 lens on full frame.

here's a quick pic of my ghetto adapter:

Terry

looks like it'll be pretty good for manual focus lenses. the only thing it's missing is a quick way to move the manual focus zoom box, one touch iso assignment, and maybe auto iso in manual mode (all things that could be addressed with a firmware upgrade).
You can move the focus point - click left or right on the scroll when and you will see the focus point in the thumbnail at bottom left start to move around.

V

Vivek

no problem covering the sensor, there is a bit of vignetting at f/1.2 but only on one side
The 42/1.2 does show noticeable light fall off on APS-C sensor (from NX10) even when centered. No such worries with the 40/1.4.

sebboh

sweet, didn't notice that. would be nice if you could move it before zooming for framing or if the thumbnail showed the image framing, but this should work pretty well.

thanks

You can move the focus point - click left or right on the scroll when and you will see the focus point in the thumbnail at bottom left start to move around.

Diane B

I've never read the Sony forum until now so you know that these little cameras are attracting attention. Though I really don't want to add another system, I still am interested in seeing what's out there and how just a bit larger sensor (and perhaps other technical things) can affect images. The implementation that Sony chose for this little camera is interesting also. I really didn't think I wanted anything smaller than my GF1 and in truth shoot more with the G1, but I've decided that its important to just allow thinking outside the box and be open to it. Who knows where we are going in the future, even the near future.

U

UK1

I've never read the Sony forum until now so you know that these little cameras are attracting attention. Though I really don't want to add another system, I still am interested in seeing what's out there and how just a bit larger sensor (and perhaps other technical things) can affect images. The implementation that Sony chose for this little camera is interesting also. I really didn't think I wanted anything smaller than my GF1 and in truth shoot more with the G1, but I've decided that its important to just allow thinking outside the box and be open to it. Who knows where we are going in the future, even the near future.
Thinking outside the box seems key for anyone to make progress!:)

A good starting point (for me) was to decide whether the camera is a means to an end or an end in itself.

Good luck with your deliberations.

peterv

re: Fun With Sony _____

Congratulations to Spain, for winning the World Cup. :clap:

Here's how the Dutch celebrated second place, today in Amsterdam.

Terry

My Sony fisheye adapter arrived today. Not really impressed. Center seems OK but it deteriorates pretty noticeably. No need for anyone to rush out and get your hands on this. I would much rather shoot the Panny 7-14.

This is also an in camera HDR shot at level 3

Last edited:
R

Razii

Yes, in focus options, switch to the selectable focus area. Confirm the center focus. Now the shooting tips soft key is replaced by a focus key.

Status
Not open for further replies.