The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Thanks, lady! :)

(I smiled with my wallet for the NEX. I gave it a go at the NX10, did not work out. No worries. ;) )

Terry, I have a specific use in mind for the NEX-5. Panos in India. I have a few days to sort out my pen F adapter and practice a few basics with pano shooting.

Terry

My advise on panos is to shoot multiples as it is sometimes hard to tell when there is a stitching problem.
Also, these camera with rapid fire panos, hdr etc are going to be interesting on the resale market when people say "how many shutter actuations" :D

V

Vivek

Very true, Terry! The shutter in the NEX-5 is a surprise. Though very audible, it sounds "smooth". I hope it will not break down within 2 years (that is the warranty period here!). I also worry about the flex cable connected to the LCD. Unlike the A350/380/395/395&1/2, here the LCD is the lifeline.....

I attached a Rodenstock UV/IR cut filter on the 16/2.8. This is similar to the Schneider UV/IR cut filter and is stronger than the Leica UV/IR cut filter. It seems to improve the contrast a bit. As I mentioned earlier, the NEX-5 sensor shows some UV response. This will not cause (color) problems associated with the Leica M8 as the IR response is virtually zero. However, an UV/IR cut filter, I would prefer to use on all lenses on the NEX-5 for improved contrast.

The 16/2.8 is OK when stopped down to f/5 thereabouts. Not bad considering it is a wide.

My old B+W metal hood (49mm) that I use with my Pana 20/1.7 for IR also seems to match quite well with the Sony 16/2.8. I also have a few Olympus metal shades in 49mm- they will also do alright.

An old, generic (most likely Russian), rear lens cap for Nikon F fits the Sony 16/2.8 (but not the original Nikon rear cap!). So, that is sorted out for now.

barjohn

Those 28 Elmarit shots on the NEX 5 are impressive. It is looking more and more to me like the NEX 5 is the compact that Leica should have come out with. Compatible with older lenses and they could have come out with a new AF line of lenses. The quality of the sensor is better than the X1's in terms of resolution, DR and high ISO noise. It also has a faster refresh rate allowing for faster AF and faster performance in general plus the much better LCD. With true manual lenses the UI is pretty simple with the scroll wheel to set shutter speed and the aperture set on the lens.

barjohn

I still need to do more tests but here is my current impression.

1. The lens on the GXR-A12 is close in performance to the Leica 40/2 It is a very good lens.
2. The sensor is close to the NEX but the NEX has better DR and is faster on refresh allowing for better performance in AF and movie modes.
3. The JPG color on the GXR is a little better mostly due to better AWB (more accurate) in difficult lighting
4. The metering is easier to use on the GXR (seems more forgiving)
5. The other modules are not in the same league on the GXR so you are limited to 33 mm for now on GXR
6. GXR uses DNG for RAW (I wish Sony would have)
7. GXR can not shoot as fast and the buffer is more limited (slower & smaller)
8. Ricoh may be batter than Sony about providing firmware updates
9. GXR battery life seems better (perception, not measures)
10. Interchangeable lenses on NEX are a big +++
11. Fast AF on Nex slow and jumpy AF on GXR
12. GXR has an EVF though one can operate in sunny mode with NEX, still would like an EVF
13. Build quality on both is very good with Ricoh feeling a little more solid
14. UI is still a bit better on the Ricoh but it isn't the margin one would think

I'll write up a better more detailed comparison when I have a little more time.

ustein

Contributing Editor

For me shoo
ting over the head with the nEX-5 is a big plus:

andrewteee

Thanks John! I still have a healthy respect for the GXR/A12. I've tried a few other compacts recently, though not the Sony NEX, and I keep returning to the GXR. It just needs a wider A12, and I hope the promised 28mm A12 comes soon enough this fall.

The panoramic feature of the NEX is interesting to me as I like shooting B&W panoramics. And if the NEX dynamic range is better than the GXR then that is interesting to me as well. The A12 dynamic range is already very good.

I've heard from Sony DSLR users that Sony is not responsive to customer's requests for firmware fixes and enhancements. And I'm not convinced that Sony would commit to a more serious oriented NEX camera akin to the A850/A900 DSLRs with high quality glass. Still, it would be compelling to have Zeiss develop a few stellar lenses for the NEX line. I know that adapters can be used with m-mount lenses, but with these APS-C compacts I hope to someday see more native mount lenses (primes) at standard 35mm equiv focal lengths so that I can, for example, end up with a high quality true 21mm or 28mm or 35mm lens. I digress...

douglasf13

There has already been one firmware update. Sony was very active on the firmware front for the A100 and A700. A lot of people wanted a firmware update for the A900, but there really isn't much wrong with the camera. People just wanted added features.

V

Vivek

One reason for excitement.

False color reflected UV capture.

NEX-5, 16/2.8, f/3.5, 0.6s,ISO6400, Baader U 2" filter over the lens (transmission 310-390nm, the rest is cut off).

Same scene in visible light.

NEX-5, 16/2.8, f/5.6, 1/4000s,ISO6400, Rodenstock UV-IR cut filter over the lens

The most interesting/exciting thing about the set-up is (in addition to the UV response of the stock NEX sensor) is the wide angle appearing to be very useful for reflected UV capture. This was a specific reason for me to get the 16/2.8 (5 elements 5 groups) lens. Sony did not disappoint me at all. :thumbs:

Last edited:

barjohn

Vivek,

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with UV. Could you explain more and enlighten me? What should I be seeing?

ustein

Contributing Editor

Well, I (part) traded in the NX10 kit for a NEX-5 kit (16/2.8) in boring black.

No body cap or lens cap came with it.
Realized when I got the M lens adapter. very annoying.

Terry

Apparently rear lens and body caps are available in Japan. If we can find someone in Japan willing to ship a batch we could all be happy. Any ideas?

My alpha adapter came with a rear cap

barjohn

One bit of good news is that with the m adapter it should be easy to find a body cap on ebay with the adapter mounted. :)

Terry

One bit of good news is that with the m adapter it should be easy to find a body cap on ebay with the adapter mounted. :)
Good point....I think I've got at least one hanging around. Now if the adapters would just get here :(

V

Vivek

Realized when I got the M lens adapter. very annoying.
As I pointed out post#377 (Terry, this is a fast growing thread!), some old caps may fit the NEX lenses. The body cap is more of a problem.

But, as John points out, you may need to use an M body cap and the adapter until these rare commodities surface. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.