The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

retow

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Not sure your question relates to my considerably cropped pic.
No big tweaking at all. JPEG shot. Camera setting was sharpness +2. In "iphoto effects" converted to B&W, enhance colors +1. The pancake seems quite a bit sharper than the kit zoom, at least in center.
Not sure there are many cameras which one can hold into peoples face without being noticed and get a burst of 5-8 shots, af ones notably, in the blink of an eye:D

Diane B

I think we are moving in that direction. Some people are still happy with 5D five years later, M8 four years later, D700 three years later. These cameras all still deliver.
Now what I'm wanting is a change in form. I want smaller, but not at the expense of file quality. I want to be able to use my quality lenses on a small form and have an interface that works for me. Anymore, I don't think in terms of MP as much as form and function.
I'm one of those that's still happy with the 5D When I have to replace my shutter I'll reconsider but for now, I still am happy with that body after, as you say, almost 5 years. That with my m4/3rds gear keeps me happy but I'm certainly interested in seeing what happens with the NEX and others similar.

V

Vivek

A single snap using the 16/2.8 (ISO200, f/5, 1/500s).

I forgot what an UV/IR cut (dichroic) filter does with a wide angle lens and it is impossible to see it on the LCD (unless one is in "properly lit" indoors).

That image in colors (real and induced).:p

V

Vivek

He is shipping Pen-F to me on Tuesday! I can't wait. M should arrive any day...I did not ask for expedited service on it.
I noticed (in addition to his fantastic service), the quality has taken a marked turn upwards! the c-mount adapter is extremely well made. I like the looks of his Nikon F adapter, etc.

Robert (Monza) sold me one last week. You could get one from him, if you don't mind shipping it over the big pond.:thumbs:
Thanks, Cindy. I know Robert would but he can not perform magic. We leave tuesday for vacation. I am unsure how fast and safe it will be to receive it in India.

Terry

Thanks, Cindy. I know Robert would but he can not perform magic. We leave tuesday for vacation. I am unsure how fast and safe it will be to receive it in India.
Looks like it is time to buy your backup kit....:D

V

Vivek

Two G1s are going. One for visible and the other for IR. Both are true, tested and reliable.:)

Besides that I have 7 batteries for them. ;)

(A real shame that Pana have not made the rumored 14/2.5.:cussing: Especially after starting to use the Sony 16/2.8, I sorely miss a wide on the G1. It is back to the Oly-D17/2.8 plus Ricoh 0.75X converter which does a decent job for me.).

If I manage to complete the pen F adapter (and test it), the NEX-5 and a few lenses would go as a special purpose APS-C digital back.

BTW, earlier today (less than 100 actuations!:shocked:), my NEX-5 froze while reviewing a snap. Even turning the camera off would not unfreeze it.

I took the battery out and inserted it back again to bring it back to life.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

None of the wide converters I have work on the 16/2.8. Most (0.75X to 0.5X) project circular frames besides the heavy drop in IQ of the already suspect quality of the 16/2.8

Oddly, the 16/2.8 reversed, appears to do a good job as a macro lens with a decent WD.

Selecting the aperture is easy. Just set it in the camera and dismount the lens with the camera still on.

BackToSlr

I have been very happy with NEX-5, still waiting for the E-A adapter. The metering gets a bit confused in mixed lighting and tends to underexpose. Anyone else experience this?

jpg straight from camera, available light tungsten + floroscent with kit lens wide open.

raw conversion with IDC, WB adjusted and tone curve adjusted.

Cheers,

N

Last edited:

sebboh

I noticed (in addition to his fantastic service), the quality has taken a marked turn upwards! the c-mount adapter is extremely well made. I like the looks of his Nikon F adapter, etc.
could you guys give me a link to rj's pen f adapter? i haven't been able to find it on the bay and he hasn't emailed me about it as he did the earlier ones.

thanks

V

Vivek

The metering gets a bit confused in mixed lighting and tends to underexpose. Anyone else experience this?

jpg straight from camera, available light tungsten + floroscent with kit lens wide open.
That is a backlit subject. As is with any cam, you should have added extra exposure. NEX-5's metering is fine. It does not underexpose when used properly.

V

Vivek

could you guys give me a link to rj's pen f adapter? i haven't been able to find it on the bay and he hasn't emailed me about it as he did the earlier ones.

thanks
Sent you a PM.

V

Vivek

Here is a special treat at f/0.95. :)

SOM-Berthiot 25/0.95 as captured.

after CA correction, distortion correction (both I have not optimized) and cropping.

All the color smearing that is seen in the OOF areas are not due to the lens' characteristics but that of the sensor/processor. All the RAW files from NEX's are compressed (otherwise they can not record it this fast)- one of the drawbacks of miniaturization.

V

Vivek

Here is that lens mounted on my NEX using RJ c-mount adapter.

Now, I have epoxied ring 1 on the RJ c-mount adapter. When the Olympus pen F extension ring 2 is screwed into that, I get a NEX to pen F adapter (with infinity focus). :thumbs: This is removable so that the adapter retains full functions as the original c-mount adapter as well.:)

Pancake "normal" (Olympus pen F 38/2.8 pancake lens) and Pancake wide (Sony 16/2.8). Foreground left shows the caps for the Olympus pen F lens and its current hood (a 43 ->37mm step ring), on the right is the case for the lens. ;)

douglasf13

FWIW, according to dpreview, there are some differences between the Minolta 50 1.4 RS and the Sony 50 1.4. They tested the Sony to have more center sharpness, whereas the Minolta had less center sharpness, but was more even over the entire frame (IIRC.)

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Pancake "normal" (Olympus pen F 38/2.8 pancake lens) and Pancake wide (Sony 16/2.8). Foreground left shows the caps for the Olympus pen F lens and its current hood (a 43 ->37mm step ring), on the right is the case for the lens. ;)

How is the optical performance of the 38 pancake ?
Can you upload some pictures (maybe some full res ?) taken with f2,8 , f4 and f 5,6 ?
Looks nice but the pancake is really rare, isnt it ?

I´m waiting for my Contax G adapter and a set of lenses 28mm, 45mm, 90mm.
They will arrive in the next days. I´m curious about the performance of those "gems" (after reading a lot about them).

:)

fordfanjpn

Apparently rear lens and body caps are available in Japan. If we can find someone in Japan willing to ship a batch we could all be happy. Any ideas?

My alpha adapter came with a rear cap
I'll be stopping in at Yodobashi today while I'm out running errands. I'd be happy to check availability of lens rear and body caps while I'm there.

Bill

Terry

I'll be stopping in at Yodobashi today while I'm out running errands. I'd be happy to check availability of lens rear and body caps while I'm there.

Bill
Hi Bill - I was actually going to PM you! That would be awesome !!!!!! :thumbs:

barjohn

I would like one of each. PM me on the amount to PayPal you so you aren't out of pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.