The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Next up the 35 color skopar first up is an untouched jpeg and then a center crop and finally a crop from the edge. So, with this lens I seem to be getting smearing.

Terry

Aperture was probably between f8 and f11. Shutter 1/500. ISO 200

barjohn

I want to see what you get with the 28 mm. By the way, my 40/2 doesn't exhibit that at all.

douglasf13

I've been looking at tons of diagrams for different 35mm lenses, and I'm not surprised that the little skopar has issues. The rear element gets really close to the sensor and is incredibly curved. Honestly, while maybe not as extreme as the skopar, I think a lot of the 35mm lenses will have issues at infinity, but we'll have to wait for more tests. From the looks of the designs, I have a feeling that the 35 1.4 Nokton may perform best at the edges...but I'm no expert on this. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of the wider Leica lenses are retrofocus, and I'm anxious to see how they perform.

R

Razii

I have just tested the NEX-5 in a local store and have just to say ... wow! As a user of compacts for years I'm really impressed by the speed and the image quality. Just one thing annoyed me: The camera needed more than 3 seconds to start. Is this normal or was this just an exception?
Hannes
DCResource reviewer had the same problem (4 sec start-up time) until he updated the firmware to 02 which brought down the startup time to 1.2 seconds. You can download the latest firmware from

http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/DSLR/DSLR.aspx

Terry

I've been looking at tons of diagrams for different 35mm lenses, and I'm not surprised that the little skopar has issues. The rear element gets really close to the sensor and is incredibly curved. Honestly, while maybe not as extreme as the skopar, I think a lot of the 35mm lenses will have issues at infinity, but we'll have to wait for more tests. From the looks of the designs, I have a feeling that the 35 1.4 Nokton may perform best at the edges...but I'm no expert on this. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of the wider Leica lenses are retrofocus, and I'm anxious to see how they perform.
Hopefully the Contax G 35 that I bought will be better. No adapter yet.

monza

The 35/2 Contax G is a Planar design, rear element does not extend at all. It does not have edge problems on m4/3 so I'm hopeful for NEX. There are some images posted elsewhere in the forum with this lens but no mention of edge issues.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Hey !
The Edges of the Contax G 28mm on the NEX are no good too.

I did a comparison with the 18-55 Sony Kit Lens and the Contax G Lenses I own (28mm, 45mm, 90mm).
Nothing good looking, just a wall and 4 Pics per Focal length.
First one with aperture wide open (e.g. f 2 or f2,8 ) and second one with f5,6.

I uploaded the original files here :

http://www.daten-transport.de/?id=2pyKMKfApsUg

Those are jpg compressed 10% and the whole zipfile is 75 MB.

The 45mm and the 90 mm are really great (no distortion and sharp wide open + sharp edges)

I hope the 35mm will be better than the 28mm.

Enjoy.

barjohn

On the 40/2 the rear element moves closest to the film plane at infinity but it never protrudes beyond the back of the bayonet. In fact it doesn't come close to the back of the bayonet.

tom in mpls

I'm more concerned about the wide lenses for this cropped sensor. Zeiss has a G and ZM option, both at 2.8. As I find focusing the G with the narrow ring on the adapter is less than ideal, perhaps the ZM will be better. I have the ZM; it has a wider focus ring and is much easier to turn than the G adapter. However my M adapter isn't here yet.:cry:

douglasf13

Yeah, Terry, as monza said, the Contax G 35 should be fine. I plan on getting the NEX-5 in a couple of weeks, and my search for a standard lens will probably be between the Contax 35, Nokton 35 1.4 (the 1.2 should be good also, but it's too big for me,) the Nokton 40 1.4, the Pen F 40mm, and barjohn's Leica/Minolta 40 f2. I'm also interested in the pre-asph summicron, but, after looking at its design, I'm not keeping my hopes up. At this point, the 35 Nokton will be what I try initially, unless someone tests it before I do, and it has issues.

Tom, I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of focusing with the G, either. I use a standard lens 90% of the time, so I want it to be smooth. As for ZM, you'll be in better shape with Distagons, rather than Biogons.

Last edited:

Terry

Douglas -
As for 50's on the NEX while my 50 lux is smaller than the adapted Sony 50 f1.4, I feel like I always hit the min focus distance on my rangefinder lenses. I also have the last pre-asph version that focuses to .7 meters. I haven't played with an extension tube and that lens.

I do feel like my Sony 50 was a very good purchase. Nice lens! To me while not as small it just feels good on the NEX and the aperture is controlled on camera and is visible on the screen which is easy to see when focussing.

Last edited:

douglasf13

Cool, good to know, Terry. That Sony 50 and an aps-c sensor is a wonderful match. I, too, plan on using my Sony 50 for tele on NEX. For me, the big issue is a ~50mm equivalent. That seems to be the breaking point with some lens lines on NEX, and that's by far my most used focal length.

Ultimately, for when I need a super small kit, I'll probably be using the NEX 16mm (until someone finds a good M wide that works,) the Nokton 35 1.4, and then maybe a 50mm 1.5 ZM Sonnar.

Rawfa

John, please don't take this personally but this is the first NEX picture that rubs me the wrong way. It looks like a 100% crop or a bad digital zoom with a lot of fringing and bad compression. It looks REALLY nasty. From all the other NEX samples I´ve seen I`m sure some low end camera setting must have been selected by mistake. Gain, please don't take this personally. I´m not commenting on framing/composition, I´m commenting on IQ.

tom in mpls

Tom, I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of focusing with the G, either. I use a standard lens 90% of the time, so I want it to be smooth. As for ZM, you'll be in better shape with Distagons, rather than Biogons.
Less color shifting?

Hmm, is there any good choice from 16-21mm? (Other than the Sony 16).

jonoslack

I do feel like my Sony 50 was a very good purchase. Nice lens! To me while not as small it just feels good on the NEX and the aperture is controlled on camera and is visible on the screen which is easy to see when focussing.
Oh Shush . . . you're only saying it to bug me 'cos you know I already have this lens.

I WILL NOT CRACK
:ROTFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.