The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglasf13

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Less color shifting?

Hmm, is there any good choice from 16-21mm? (Other than the Sony 16).
It could be color shifting, or it could be corner smearing..or it could be both! We just won't know until we see test shots at infinity. Someone reported that the CV 12/5.6 II doesn't have the issues, although it does severely vignette wide open. I'm very curious about the ZM 18mm Distagon.

tom in mpls

I'm very curious about the ZM 18mm Distagon.
I keep getting reminded why FF is so good. I want a compact 2.8 24-28mm equivalent lens. Oh, and while you're at it, please make a compact 2.0 35mm equivalent for me. Much obliged.

wayne_s

Douglas,
Have you seen ZM 35/2 shots posted yet which confirm your suspicions of corner smearing?

douglasf13

Not yet, Wayne. It's still just a hunch. I certainly hope I'm wrong about it!

Last edited:

MPK2010

So I had a few more chances to use the M adapter this week, with the 50 Summicron, 35 Summarit, CV 50 1.5, CV 75 2.5, CV 35 2.5 and CV 15 4.5. More test shots with apertures noted are posted below. (Haven't quite mastered the art of downsizing properly yet -- I can tell you these photos look better at full size in Lightroom than what I'm seeing when I upload.)

So far I am really liking the Summarit and Summicron. The color and rendering are great and the minor infinity-wide-open corner issue on the Summarit that I mentioned in last week's report has not proven to be that big a deal (unlike the 35 Skopar). Still get odd bokeh in about 1/3 of the time. Between the Summicron and Summarit, I prefer the Summarit so far. It's also a very small combo that doesn't attract much attention until you see it close up.

The CV 50 and 75 have been fine. Great sharpness on the 50 especially, with the caveats mentioned last week. But I can't say I like the color on the Voigtlanders as much as the Summarit or Summicron. I'm pretty sure it can be fixed once we get RAW profiles for Lightroom, but for now I like the look of the others better. Also I get odd bokeh more often with the Nokton. I've given up on the CV 35 and 15.

I've played around a bit with RAW in Bibble. Hardly an expert with that program, but I can tell the RAWs are going to be great.

Generally, I'd say the NEX is better than I expected. The only real problem with the interface is burying the ISO. The battery does go fast. But all in all, it looks like it's going to get a lot of use. Not a replacement for the A850 for landscape, but for people/travel/around town it's looking good.

Last edited:

MPK2010

Next up the 35 color skopar first up is an untouched jpeg and then a center crop and finally a crop from the edge. So, with this lens I seem to be getting smearing.
Yeah I am definitely getting some smearing with the 35 Skopar too, not as bad as on m43 but enough that I've given up on it. Those 50 Summilux shots are looking great, though. Any sense of how it does wide open at infinity? (Not that you'd use it that way that often.)

Terry

Yeah I am definitely getting some smearing with the 35 Skopar too, not as bad as on m43 but enough that I've given up on it. Those 50 Summilux shots are looking great, though. Any sense of how it does wide open at infinity? (Not that you'd use it that way that often.)
I couldn't test it because it was too bright out and I would have needed an ND filter to not max out the fastest shutter speed.

MPK2010

I couldn't test it because it was too bright out and I would have needed an ND filter to not max out the fastest shutter speed.
Oh, right. Looking at your pictures of the camera I was struck by the relatively small size of the Summilux -- not much bigger than the Summicron. Encouraging to see good results.

Terry

Uwe - both HDRs are really nice and the blend HDR is really good. I can't wait to work on an HDR workflow.

BackToSlr

Wow! Uwestein, those are very nice! Excellent subjects.

Thanks for posting. I need to try this HDR.

Cheers,

N

ustein

Contributing Editor

This scene shows very harsh sunlight:

This is in shade but still from HDR:

ustein

Contributing Editor

If you create in-camera HDR you get a JPEG from the middle exposure and also a JPEG from the merged HDR. This used the middle exposure JPEG:

PSon

Uwe, simply amazing works and I think of you like the Sun instead of star.
-Son

jonoslack

So I had a few more chances to use the M adapter this week, with the 50 Summicron, 35 Summarit, CV 50 1.5, CV 75 2.5, CV 35 2.5 and CV 15 4.5. More test shots with apertures noted are posted below. (Haven't quite mastered the art of downsizing properly yet -- I can tell you these photos look better at full size in Lightroom than what I'm seeing when I upload.)

So far I am really liking the Summarit and Summicron. The color and rendering are great and the minor infinity-wide-open corner issue on the Summarit that I mentioned in last week's report has not proven to be that big a deal (unlike the 35 Skopar). Still get odd bokeh in about 1/3 of the time. Between the Summicron and Summarit, I prefer the Summarit so far. It's also a very small combo that doesn't attract much attention until you see it close up.
Oh dear, another nail in the coffin of my resistance. I have that nice little 35 summarit . . . I can see it making a splendid, tiny combination on the NEX. On NO ACCOUNT show a picture of the camera with that lens :eek:
:ROTFL:

great shots by the way

all the best

MPK2010

Oh dear, another nail in the coffin of my resistance. I have that nice little 35 summarit . . . I can see it making a splendid, tiny combination on the NEX. On NO ACCOUNT show a picture of the camera with that lens :eek:
:ROTFL:
Sure, here you go:

Terry

Jono -
What's not to love?

MPK2010 - Oh he has plenty of lenses :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.