The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Yeah the M9 is extremely tempting. For me personally, if I didn't prefer the zoom for landscape my money might have gone towards an M9 rather than the Sony full-frame. But I sure can't justify both! And since landscape is my priority, I can't see ditching the A850. So I'm going to try to use these NEX cameras + 1-2 primes for the kinds of photography I'd use an M9 for if I had one.
But the M9 is great for landscape - a small 35, and it almost goes in your pocket - vertical stitches . . it's wonderful.:p

E

espressogeek

Has anyone tried to throw an IR filter on one a NEX to check the IR response?

Mimaki

Sold my 28mm Elmarit, waiting for tests on ZM 25/2.8, ZM 35/2 and VC 35/1.4 before I purchase a replacement.. the wait is hard ;)

MPK2010

But the M9 is great for landscape - a small 35, and it almost goes in your pocket - vertical stitches . . it's wonderful.:p
But it can't really be that easy, can it? :) The truth is I've been so happy with the Sony for landscape that I just can't see switching at the moment. But a real match for the M lenses could one day prove irresistible. Perhaps by the time you find yourself with an NEX I will have set aside an equivalent amount of money towards an M9.

jonoslack

But it can't really be that easy, can it? :)
YES I thought the same, until I was skiing, actually it started with the M8 - portrait mode, manual exposure and WB - 6 or 7 shots, 5 minutes in photoshop - hooray!

The truth is I've been so happy with the Sony for landscape that I just can't see switching at the moment. But a real match for the M lenses could one day prove irresistible. Perhaps by the time you find yourself with an NEX I will have set aside an equivalent amount of money towards an M9.
Well, I wouldn't be without my A900 either - I think it's becoming the longest I've had a camera, but it's a bit bulky (or, at least, the lenses are).

I actually went to the store today with intent (and wallet) . . but started fooling with a Pentax K7 and their limited primes while I was waiting, and now I'm having confusions!

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

I received the Contax G 35mm f2 today and since it mostly rained and I had to work I only got to shoot the nice "Test-Chart" wall I shot with the other Contax lenses and the Sony Zoom.

I´m sorry to say that but the 35mm is NO comparison for the 45mm or 90mm.
the edges (and more) at f2 are terrible. At f5,6 the sharpness is okay but not great.
So what do you win over the also not very nice 28mm f2,8 ?
One f-stop and less vignetting.

I really hoped that the 35mm would be more or less like the other two lenses but it isnt.

I will test it with some real life pictures in the next days and then I will see if it is a keeper (until I get my hands on something better) or if I sell both the 28mm and 35mm.

The 45mm and 90mm are SO perfect but I really want one more lens as a -50mm- . Anyone has some testpictures (from a wall or something similar) at 200 iso with open aperture and with f5,6 from the Pen F Pancake 38mm f2,8 or the "normal" 38mm f 1,8 ?
Maybe you -> sebboh or Vivek ?

I someone is interested I can upload the Contax G testfiles once more now including the 35mm pics.

Last edited:

Terry

Fotoingo, are you talking wide open close focus or the infinity focus. Wide open my crops definitely show at infinity there are more problems at the edges but not nearly the problem of some other lenses.

I tried to go back through and think about when I would be shooting with almost infinity focus at f2 which is nil. If I am shooting landscapes I'm generally stopped down to about f8 or so. Do you have some edge crops to show between theb35 and 45?

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Fotoingo, are you talking wide open close focus or the infinity focus.
I´m talking about focusing on a brick wall 1 meter away but I will try infinity focus in the next days too.
Maybe I´m just to focused on looking at those wall-pictures, haha

That would be great, thanks.
I upload it now. Will take a while ;-) -> 111 MB

Edit:
Here is the link : http://www.daten-transport.de/?id=zxXqky43xqPE

It includes 2 Pics per lens / focal length (one wide open and one at f5,6).
For example:
1 picture from the Contax G 45mm at f2 and one at f5,6
1 picture from the Sony Zoom Lens at 45mm at f5 (biggest aperture possible at this focal length) and one at f5,6
and so on.

Btw: The distortion on both the 28mm f 2,8 and 35mm f 2 is really nice / barely visible. So this (and the f-stops more light) IS a real plus over the Zoomlens.

Last edited:

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

Here are quick comparison pictures featuring the upper left corner at 100 % from the 28mm, 35mm, 45mm and 90mm.
All wide open.

monza

Thanks for the comparisons, Ingo. The corner performance appears to be no where near as bad as other 28mm and 35mm RF lenses on micro 4/3. I rarely have the subject in the corner anyway, and if I'm shooting wide open, usually the edges are full of nice Zeiss bokeh. :)

sebboh

The 45mm and 90mm are SO perfect but I really want one more lens as a -50mm- . Anyone has some testpictures (from a wall or something similar) at 200 iso with open aperture and with f5,6 from the Pen F Pancake 38mm f2,8 or the "normal" 38mm f 1,8 ?
Maybe you -> sebboh or Vivek ?

I someone is interested I can upload the Contax G testfiles once more now including the 35mm pics.
thanks for the test shots. @f2 i don't really care about the edges so i'll have to examine the middle 2/3. i'm afraid the only pen f lens i have is the 42mm i got from cindy. i've seen some 38mm f/1.8 lenses going for reasonable prices lately and briefly considered getting one to try out, but decided 4mm isn't much of difference for two lenses that should have similar renderings.

Terry

Diane B

If you use an SD card its even easier. You simply put the SD in the end of the CC. You turn on the Ipad, insert the CC in the charger port and the rest is done for you. The Photo app opens showing all your image files. You can choose the files to upload, keep or delete the files from the card.

I tried a liitle video clip from the GF1 this afternoon--assume it would be the same with the NEX. I used jpeg.mov instead of AVCHD and it was also a very simple upload. Card into CC, CC into charger port and that's it

Very nice little tute video.

Status
Not open for further replies.