The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

barjohn

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Since infinity focus seems to be where any problems show up maybe retow could give us a couple of shot with each lens at infinity so we can see how they perform. If he loads them in the gallery we can see the full size images and look at 100%.

douglasf13

Non-retrofocus wides bring the rear element of the lens closest to the sensor at infinity, and that can create extreme light angles at the edges of the sensor. Digital sensors don't handle these angled light rays as well as film.

I'm surprised the new 35 'cron does well at infinity. I'd love to see samples.

retow

Non-retrofocus wides bring the rear element of the lens closest to the sensor at infinity, and that can create extreme light angles at the edges of the sensor. Digital sensors don't handle these angled light rays as well as film.

I'm surprised the new 35 'cron does well at infinity. I'd love to see samples.
Cron asph 35, f5.6 or f8. If time permits will try to shoot better examples tomorrow, including f2.

Last edited:

barjohn

Those look pretty darn good to me. It will be interesting to se at f2. I would also like to see the 24mm at f2.8 and infinity.

retow

I hate shooting brick walls, they move so fast. Cron 35 Asph, Nr1 @ f2, soft corners, Nr2 f4 corners still somewhat soft, Nr3 @ f5.6 looks good.

Last edited:

douglasf13

Thanks for taking the time to do all of this, retow. Is it possible for you to post corner crops? It's really tough to see on some of these web sized images (especially on the infinity shots.)

douglasf13

Ok, that makes sense. Smearing issues are generally a result of these lenses focused to infinity. It seems like there is some smearing in the landscape shots you posted above, but it's tough to tell with the small pics. The wall crops look pretty good. You're awesome for spending so much time on this. Thanks.

I really just want to be sure that I find a standard prime that performs ok wide open in the middle of the frame at close ranges, but then can be stopped down and have sharp corners at infinity.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member

4 new pictures with the 90mm + Close up lens Canon 250D.

On the last one (grasshopper from behind) I really like the 3D -effect even though the picture is crap. :D

Last edited:

barjohn

When I magnify the landscape infinity shots, not just the corners are out of focus, the entire image appears to be slightly out of focus. Since you can go past infinity on these adapters, I find you have to actually select a far off target and magnify the image when focusing at or near infinity. When you go past infinity the entire image goes soft. How did you focus for infinity in your shots?

roweraay

Our local retailer (who has a great relationship with Sony and stocks their higher-end lenses like the 24-70 f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 etc) states that a clip-on EVF is on the way for the NEX range shortly. A side effect is that one will not be able to use the EVF and the clip-on flash at the same time, since they share the same mounting spot.

I think this might be interesting for folks who like to frame with a viewfinder than on the screen, and might save some battery power too.

Status
Not open for further replies.