The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebboh

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Our local retailer (who has a great relationship with Sony and stocks their higher-end lenses like the 24-70 f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 etc) states that a clip-on EVF is on the way for the NEX range shortly. A side effect is that one will not be able to use the EVF and the clip-on flash at the same time, since they share the same mounting spot.

I think this might be interesting for folks who like to frame with a viewfinder than on the screen, and might save some battery power too.
that's great to hear. though i find the lcd to be extremely good, i find i need to shoot at higher shutter speed without a viewfinder. i also have the bad habit of instinctively bringing the camera to my eye, which is less than useful.

BackToSlr

500 f8 mirror handheld in quite hard to focus at 7x magnification.

Here is an unprocessed straight out of camera sample
ISO 640 1/500s

100% crop

Cheers,

N

Last edited:
R

Razii

Our local retailer (who has a great relationship with Sony and stocks their higher-end lenses like the 24-70 f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 etc) states that a clip-on EVF is on the way for the NEX range shortly. A side effect is that one will not be able to use the EVF and the clip-on flash at the same time, since they share the same mounting spot.

I think this might be interesting for folks who like to frame with a viewfinder than on the screen, and might save some battery power too.
Are you sure the retailer was NOT confusing an EVF with the OVF that works with the 16mm only? Ask him again if you can. I suspect he is confused.

C

Coms37

Contax 35 looks good..... and then I remember I still had a box full of Contax gear, will get the respective adapter and try it out.

My little box of Contax treasures .... glad I never sell anything...

barjohn

Interesting shot with the 500. Where did you find an umbrella surrounded by green donuts? :)

roweraay

Are you sure the retailer was NOT confusing an EVF with the OVF that works with the 16mm only? Ask him again if you can. I suspect he is confused.
Yes, I very specifically asked him about the OVF with the 16mm prime and he was absolutely certain that it is an as-yet-unannounced-to-the-wider-world EVF (which has also arrived on the new Sony Video NEX camera). :)

douglasf13

Great news about the EVF. That would be an excellent option. Speaking of the OVF, I saw some pics of it from the rear (kind find the link,) and it almost looks like the OVF slid into a cold shoe that then attached to the camera. Now, I'm sure the OVF is glue to this cold shoe so it is all one piece, but it would be cool if Sony offered that cold shoe piece by itself for accessories.

V

Vivek

Have you bought one of the NEX' , Douglas? ;)

douglasf13

I promised my better half that I would wait to buy it until after my Zeiss zoom sold. It's over on dyxum, but not moving. Time for eBay.

douglasf13

Yep, ZA 24-70. I've owned it since Feb. of '08. I used it a considerable amount in the studio the first year or so, but it's been in the closet for the past year, since I don't do much studio work anymore. Zooms don't get much better, IMO.

monza

Here is a pic of the NEX OVF in case anyone wants to see, it's quite nice, very little distortion, and bright frames.

Terry

And at the time I thought that Hawaii series was excellent. The top boat shot is just as awesome this year as it was when I saw it last year.

douglasf13

Thanks, Terry. You're too kind.

Monza, thanks for the OVF preview. Is it possible to remove the VF part from the part that attaches to the camera? It looks like it just slides in.

monza

Unfortunately no, it's all one piece. It would be a very nice 24mm viewfinder for RF use if it had a regular foot on it...

emr

Thanks for posting everybody. This is definitely an interesting thread with some marvelous photos. I'll probably buy an EVIL/MILC/SLD/whatever acronym camera later this year and let's say that NEX-5 is very close to the top of the list. (If only Pentax would bring a camera with proper support for my DA ltd lenses...).

However, I'd like to ask about how does the in-camera HDR work in practice? I know with some cameras you bracket three different exposures and usually have to use a tripod to get decent results. Is that the same with NEX or have they developed something more clever?

Status
Not open for further replies.