The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoingo

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the NEX cameras....

Nice pictures !
Wow, you have some nice lenses ;)

Here is one picture from today in the park.
The little rabbit was not really scared of me so I could get really close.
I attached the picture and a 100% crop.
Contax G 90mm f5,6

Last edited:

jonoslack

Nice pictures !
Wow, you have some nice lenses ;)
Thank you - Usually they get put on the M9, but they're slumming it at the moment :)

Here is one picture from today in the park.
The little rabbit was not really scared of me so I could get really close.
I attached the picture and a 100% crop.
Contax G 90mm f5,6
I hope it was a 'well' rabbit, they don't usually sit about like that.
Nice shot though . . . I lament selling that lens a few years ago :cry:

Mimaki

Thanks a bunch for these. The lens certainly looks promising. And after one factors in the price, the max aperture and the petite size, it comes across as a sure winner in my book.
No probs, your welcome, Its a great little combo for the money. Im looking forward to using it some more this weekend, Its quite nice wide open at close distances... Im happy. 1.4 and useable ISO 3200 is a big improvement over my m8..

Terry

A couple from Ireland....more to come with more time and better internet

douglasf13

The NEX-5 finally arrived, so I threw on the CV 35 1.4 Nokton for a quick walk around the block. No test shots here, and nothing too special. Overall, I really like this combo. The lens needs around +5 distortion correction in LR3, and the corners don't seem to sharpen up until around f8 (maybe f5.6,) but I'm digging the lens overall. Having a usable f1.4 is nice on this little guy, and I'm getting used to using an LCD to frame. I wish the top soft button controlled MF zoom, because I have a hard time getting to the lower button when the camera is at my waist/chest. All in all, I'm happy with it, though.

Curious disposal?? :eek:

Wifey is thrilled about my new camera! :LOL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Should receive my NEX5 kit in the next few days - really looking forward to that ;)

douglasf13

Interesting block!
Have fun!
Our little residential street is close to Melrose, so it doesn't take long to walk to various alleys. :)

I really like how inconspicuous shooting at waist level is with NEX. If I walk down Melrose with the A900, people wonder if I'm with TMZ, but no one even notices the NEX-5.

roweraay

The NEX-5 finally arrived, so I threw on the CV 35 1.4 Nokton for a quick walk around the block. No test shots here, and nothing too special. Overall, I really like this combo. The lens needs around +5 distortion correction in LR3, and the corners don't seem to sharpen up until around f8 (maybe f5.6,) but I'm digging the lens overall. Having a usable f1.4 is nice on this little guy, and I'm getting used to using an LCD to frame. I wish the top soft button controlled MF zoom, because I have a hard time getting to the lower button when the camera is at my waist/chest. All in all, I'm happy with it, though.
Glad you like you new camera/lens combo. Yeah, having usable f/1.4 is definitely a great thing to have, especially in a lens/camera combo as light as it is, while sporting an APS-C sensor.

Hope to see more pictures from you.

My lens will arrive today, and hopefully my adapter will also be arriving soon.

roweraay

If I walk down Melrose with the A900, people wonder if I'm with TMZ, but no one even notices the NEX-5.
Precisely the point of the NEX. In places where they would prohibit an SLR, the NEX5 can slip right in, since people assume it is a typical p&s.:)

douglasf13

Oddly enough, I kind of like the ergonomics of my 50mm with the Alpha adapter better than my little M lens, because it sits nicely in the hand, and the focusing ring is in a good place. I may get the new cheapie Sony 35/1.8 for when being as small as possible isn't a priority.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the NEX files. They don't look all that different from my A900, outside of the obvious resolution advantage.

douglasf13

Yeah, I believe that it was wide open. The focus wasn't nailed perfectly, as it was one of the first few shots that I took with the camera. Overall, I'd say the CV 35/1.4 is pretty good wide open. My only real issue is the occasional purple fringing around blown out highlight areas, but that's not uncommon with some older Leica's on digital, either. I haven't shot with the lens enough for any real commentary on it, but, I'm pretty happy so far.

I opted for the single coated version of the lens, and I'm digging the slightly lower contrast. The single coat is a little misleading, because it is still quite good, and probably comparable to many of the older multi-coats. I took a couple of quick shots this morning with my SMC Takumar 50 1.4, and the two lenses look like they'll go nicely together.

With all of that being said, if Sony (hopefully Zeiss) makes a few good primes that are high quality and still relatively small, I'll be in heaven with this little cam. I can see my A900 trembling a little, because I'll probably use it for more purpose driven shoots where size isn't an issue...and I haven't been doing that as much, lately.

Terry

Oddly enough, I kind of like the ergonomics of my 50mm with the Alpha adapter better than my little M lens, because it sits nicely in the hand, and the focusing ring is in a good place. I may get the new cheapie Sony 35/1.8 for when being as small as possible isn't a priority.
:p:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: can I say "told you so!"

douglasf13

I know, I know. You're absolutely correct. :salute::salute: Anyone who has an S2 in their avatar should be taken very seriously! :clap: Granted, size is still my main priority with this camera, so I don't know how much I'd actually use the Alpha 35mm...

wayne_s

Yeah, I believe that it was wide open. The focus wasn't nailed perfectly, as it was one of the first few shots that I took with the camera. Overall, I'd say the CV 35/1.4 is pretty good wide open. My only real issue is the occasional purple fringing around blown out highlight areas, but that's not uncommon with some older Leica's on digital, either. I haven't shot with the lens enough for any real commentary on it, but, I'm pretty happy so far.

I opted for the single coated version of the lens, and I'm digging the slightly lower contrast. The single coat is a little misleading, because it is still quite good, and probably comparable to many of the older multi-coats. I took a couple of quick shots this morning with my SMC Takumar 50 1.4, and the two lenses look like they'll go nicely together.

With all of that being said, if Sony (hopefully Zeiss) makes a few good primes that are high quality and still relatively small, I'll be in heaven with this little cam. I can see my A900 trembling a little, because I'll probably use it for more purpose driven shoots where size isn't an issue...and I haven't been doing that as much, lately.
I think you nailed the focus pretty well. I like the look with the narrower DOF of the 1.4 so that there is more separation between subject and background.
What I see is a natural loss of contrast due to coma which is normal with fast lenses at 1.4 especially without asph elements.
What I am wondering is if the 1.5 crop of the NEX seems to amplify the amount of coma compared to if it was shot on a FF camera where the pixel density is lesser? I usually only shoot my fast glass on a FF camera so I haven't tested this before. Does that make sense?

douglasf13

Hmm, hard to say. I also went super light on the contrast during the raw conversion in order to make it soft looking, so that may be part of what you're seeing. From what I've seen so far, in regards to "glow," I'd say the CV 35 1.4 is about on par with other non-asph fast primes wide open. Maybe I'll post another conversion with more standard settings so that you can compare them.

Last edited:

douglasf13

Wayne, I reprocessed the raw to show more "normal" levels of contrast and saturation. The original version (at the bottom) was purposefully made a little light on contrast and unsaturated, which didn't really give a good sense of how the lens really renders. This new version is just basic exposure adjustments, with saturation and vibrance on zero. The contrast is still not cranked up all that much, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.